Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The food crisis Bryan Bruce Documentary tonight
(04-09-2023, 06:42 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(04-09-2023, 03:41 PM)SueDonim Wrote: The problem is that so many simply don't......... The bottom line is that we simply have too many people trying to live in over-crowded conditions and so many of them have too much access to junk food to be motivated to grow their own.
I believe the problem lies with our society where convenience, and instant gratification, is king.....
I agree with both of you.  The promotion of highly profitable ultra-processed foods is so successful that hardly anyone seems to have an interest in where their food comes from or how it affects their health.

Anecdotally, my observations from the small rural town I presently inhabit are these:  1.   Almost every trolley at the supermarket checkout contains cakes, scones, pikelets, biscuits, pastries etc from the in-house bakery.  These are mainly very cheap and the ingredients lists are hair raising for anyone (*me) who cares about additives.  2.   In conversations with local acquaintances a frequent thread is "Oh I don't cook any more, I can't be  bothered and if I'm expecting visitors I'll buy something".   3.   The same people equally complain about their ailments, particularly arthritis. I.e. they are suffering from inflammation, which is linked to the consumption of ultra-processed foods.   4.   At local community events it is common for everyone to be expected to "bring a plate".    The vast bulk of the offerings is supermarket baking, with very little evidence of home baking.

As for home gardening, I think we need to understand that it is not easy or cheap to get started; there are tools, fertilisers and time required.   And, in these days of uncertain weather, food gardening is no longer a reliable way to feed the family.   Up until 2021 we grew almost all of our own fruit veges, but last year's wet cold summer defeated us and many of our crops failed.  And we know what we're doing, but as the climate crisis roars on we can no longer feel secure in our knowledge.   I can only imagine how pointless food gardening might feel for youngsters.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The food crisis Bryan Bruce Documentary tonight - by Olive - 04-09-2023, 07:49 PM