Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kainga Ora's Housing Delivery System
Interestingly enough a few years back the first of these designs went up on a double section next to our village. The two duplexes on the land were demolished and the land fenced off and it remained unoccupied for two years. Then work started, but as construction went ahead there were numerous delays and stand downs, apparently because design features were being changed as the work progressed, much to the contractors horror. It took nearly fifteen months to build to completion, nine units, three stories high. It became transitional housing, managed by a social housing agency, with a manager resident on site, and it has been very well run.

Subsequently clones of this one have gone up in very short order and on much larger scales in several locations in our suburbs, and are now up and running. Again, they seem to be very well managed, with none of the usual dead vehicles and rubbish piles that were loudly predicted by local nimbys. There have been several police call outs on a regular basis, and our crime rates have gone up steadily with cars stolen and damaged, shiplifting, and just a week ago our first vape store hold up.

I scoot past several of these developments on a regular basis, and have never felt unsafe, often been greeted by residents and had chats, so they don't affect me in any negative way, but there is still strong opposition to them and the folk living in them from many in the neighbourhood. But we get that about our little pensioner villages too, from the same people, who see us as a negative influence on their skyrocketing property vales.

But having faced homelessness I am a big fan of these build programmes. I just wish they weren't design clones, but I guess mass production is more efficient than letting imagination rule...

Messages In This Thread
Kainga Ora's Housing Delivery System - by Olive - 18-09-2023, 10:01 AM
RE: Kainga Ora's Housing Delivery System - by Oh_hunnihunni - 18-09-2023, 11:05 AM