Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nah, f*** off, Maori on treaty referendum
David Seymour may not get the reaction he wants. That he even has such an intention shows clearly how out of touch he is.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/pou-tiaki/300994...1#cxrecs_s

[b]"ACT wants to push ahead with its Treaty referendum – but reporter Joel Maxwell discovers there could be extraordinary pushback from everyday Māori.[/b]
Māori are warning of sweeping protests, division and the potential for violence if ACT’s proposed Treaty referendum gets across the line in coalition negotiations for the new government.
However, ACT leader David Seymour says he doesn’t accept there will be disruption – and he has his finger on the pulse of the Māori world.

Ōtaki man Nathan Kirker said there would be an “uproar” if the government tried to launch the referendum. He said Australia’s vote on The Voice, the same day as New Zealand's election, was a “prime example” of how referendums were a numbers game.
Kirker would join any protests, he said, as would many people he knew – especially from Ōtaki, which has a strong reo-speaking Māori population. “[and] Not just the Māori, the Pākehā are great here too.”

Kirker said he would feel real anger if the referendum went ahead.
If someone tells me, walking down the street, that they would tick for the referendum and say ‘yes’, that would p… me off … it’s like, ‘Nah, f… off.’”

Gina Chaffey-Aupouri, from the East Coast, said the referendum would cause “heaps” of division.
I think they’re gonna cause a war ... they’ll find Tāme Iti on their back step.”

The Treaty was hugely important to her, she said, in every aspect of her life.
I live and breathe and walk by the Treaty; because it is my life, it is my breath, it is my blood that flows through my body.”

Meanwhile, Wellington woman Paula-Maree McKenzie says there have been two nation-defining marches spanning the country in her lifetime. She was at both.
She was there with her whānau in 1975, as a 7-year-old, watching on as Dame Whina Cooper and land marchers arrived in Wellington. As an adult in 2004, she was in the Foreshore and Seabed march.

McKenzie said Seymour probably thought that he was being reasonable.
I think he doesn’t think it’s crazy; I actually think he’s oblivious that division may happen.”
The vast majority of people hadn’t bothered to read the Treaty, she said. “And these people are going to be able to tick a box to determine my relationship with the Crown?”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
Nah, f*** off, Maori on treaty referendum - by Lilith7 - 25-10-2023, 02:50 PM