Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"They've burnt the house down" new govt
I'd like to see us go the way of Portugal with drugs; they decriminalised over a decade ago & their rate of drug overdose deaths has fallen markedly. They have better support & education for those who are addicted.

As for smoking & vaping, I think far more help & support is needed for all those addicted but especially younger ones. And wider education about the harmful effects of both - because big tobacco certainly won't do it, when it might affect their profits.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...01780.html

"Portugal decriminalised drugs 14 years ago – and now hardly anyone dies from overdosing
The country has 3 overdose deaths per million citizens, compared to the EU average of 17.3

Portugal decriminalised the use of all drugs in 2001. Weed, cocaine, heroin, you name it — Portugal decided to treat possession and use of small quantities of these drugs as a public health issue, not a criminal one. The drugs were still illegal, of course. But now getting caught with them meant a small fine and maybe a referral to a treatment program — not jail time and a criminal record.
Among Portuguese adults, there are 3 drug overdose deaths for every 1,000,000 citizens. Comparable numbers in other countries range from 10.2 per million in the Netherlands to 44.6 per million in the UK, all the way up to 126.8 per million in Estonia. The EU average is 17.3 per million."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: "They've burnt the house down" new govt - by Lilith7 - 28-11-2023, 02:13 PM