Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SATA SSD's a thing of the past?
(12-03-2024, 09:37 PM)Wainuitech Wrote:
(12-03-2024, 09:03 PM)Agent_24 Wrote: Linux is quite a bit more efficient than Windows in my experience. And it doesn't have so much background stuff going on... There's no Windows updates, .Net optimization, telemetry, defrag, etc, running half the time.

So even an old SATA HDD doesn't run too badly, there's so much less disk activity.

Of course theres no windows updates, its not windows, BUT there are just as many Linux Updates. One of my linux installs had been crashing every damn day, ( usually after its almost daily updates, in the end removed the useless OS, ( linux Mint) and the other day I had to leave a VM updating over night when there was over a GB of updates.
Linux is not a stable as many make out. Of course theres so many different distros theres nothing consistent. AND many answers to fixing Linux is reinstall it -- finding actual any real help is useless, again so many distros and most are different in repairs.

I run Xubuntu on all my desktops basically and I don't have that kind of issue. Runs pretty damn stable for me unless I do something stupid or there's a genuine bug (happened a couple of times, but rare)

Yes there are often updates for things in Linux but they install very quickly and don't force a reboot either, so, much less hassle than Windows update. My point is that package updates in Linux are usually a lot faster than updates in Windows, because Windows Update seems to spend half an hour "preparing updates" "Getting things ready" etc and otherwise messing around, then fails and rolls back for another half an hour because it found a registry key that it didn't like the look of, or something equally silly.

Meanwhile Linux with synaptic package manager or apt in the terminal just gets on with it and it's done in a few minutes, and doesn't force you to reboot, either.

I haven't used Mint so I don't know what the quality is like, some distros do operate more bleeding edge and are prone to breakage, which is part of why is use LTS releases.

Yes Linux is more complicated with all its variants and troubleshooting can be harder if you don't know what's going on with your specific distro, but a user who has never troubleshot Windows is going to have a bad time as well.

It's easy to forget how confusing things were as a beginner once you have years and years of knowledge. Windows isn't magically easier to fix if you don't know anything about it.

(09-05-2024, 12:14 PM)king1 Wrote: i've been running an Ubuntu VM for several months now, hosting a seafile server - I must say that thing bugs me every other day about updates of one form or another.  At least windows generally has the decency to limit them to once a month...

Microsoft releases updates more often than monthly, it's just you've configured Windows to ignore them for that long. You could also turn off update notification in Linux if you really wanted to. Not that I'd recommend it.

Messages In This Thread
SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by nzoomed - 13-02-2024, 10:24 AM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by king1 - 13-02-2024, 10:48 AM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by king1 - 13-02-2024, 10:54 AM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by nzoomed - 15-02-2024, 09:22 AM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by 1101 - 19-02-2024, 07:19 PM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by nzoomed - 23-02-2024, 08:33 PM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by paulw - 20-02-2024, 01:51 PM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by Agent_24 - 24-02-2024, 03:49 PM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by piroska - 11-03-2024, 06:35 PM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by king1 - 11-03-2024, 07:42 PM
RE: SATA SSD's a thing of the past? - by Agent_24 - 12-03-2024, 09:03 PM