Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reverend Vennells, of the Post Office disaster
The Reverend Paula Vennells finally appears in court over the disaster with Brit Post offices. Some people committed suicide, some were  sent to prison. She doesn't appear to understand either the harm done or  contrition.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...eo-victims

Quote:The former Post Office CEO Paula Vennells would like the victims of the most widespread miscarriage of justice in British legal history to know that she hasn’t actually done anything deliberately wrong, and that she honestly doesn’t understand how all this has happened. I guess she’s asking all the jailed and wrongly convicted subpostmasters to try to imagine being swept up in a Kafkaesque nightmare of undue blame. So … please add the murder of irony to her notional future charge sheet.
To Aldwych House in London, then, where Paula produced tears in time for the lunchtime bulletins and reprised them for the section in which her emails seemingly found her on a fishing expedition for other “contributory factors” that might have caused an appallingly persecuted subpostmaster to take his own life. 
For now, let’s just say Paula Vennells now “can’t recall” more about the Post Office than you’d expect a tenuously engaged CEO on 700 grand a year ever to have known.
Pressed early by the inquiry’s Jason Beer KC how on earth she hadn’t known what was going on, Paula explained: “I was too trusting.” Barely a quarter of an hour later this humblebrag had done a complete 180, as she said: “I was sometimes criticised at team development events for being too curious.” Was she? At one stage Vennells had even been unaware that her organisation employed a team of about 100 enforcers driving private prosecutions. I’m reminded of those people who worked for Bernie Madoff on the 18th and 19th floors in his offices, and somehow didn’t realise he and a crack unit were running the world’s biggest Ponzi scheme on the 17th.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
Reverend Vennells, of the Post Office disaster - by Lilith7 - 23-05-2024, 11:54 AM