Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"New" policy from Luxon, National
(12-08-2022, 01:31 PM)king1 Wrote: National wants a BIGGER stick...
Yep, its just the same old, same old. They trot it out every election, claiming how 'tough' they're going to be on the undeserving poor who according to their version, sit about all day, reclining on cushions while everyone else (but especially those hard working wealthy  Rolleyes ) are slaving away to keep them in apparent luxury.

Their problem is that its just a bit difficult to believe in their version of the ever so virtuous wealthy people when reality (& history) shows otherwise.

I'm not sure why there are no longer such a wide variety of free courses in many different subjects available to those on benefits, but there are far fewer than there were. Perhaps they gave too much of an advantage to beneficiaries.

There's been some reaction to Luxon & his 'free ride' comments. It hasn't gone down too well with those he's happy to accuse.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2022/08/11/young...free-ride/

"Daisy says the reason many of these young people are living on Jobseeker Support is because it’s often the only support available for people with debilitating mental and physical illnesses or disabilities.

When Daisy’s sick leave quickly ran out, she realised being on a Jobseeker benefit was her only option.

She says the disability allowance of $70 a week she was entitled to was not enough to live on.

“I was really fortunate the company I worked for supported me throughout the whole thing and let me keep working 10-15 hours a week when I was well enough. But you obviously can’t survive on this, so if I wasn’t able to go on Jobseeker, I don’t know what would have happened.”

She says calling the benefit ‘Jobseeker’ does not encapsulate the varied experiences of the people who rely on it.

“I was in the hospital three, four times a week getting constant blood tests to make sure my kidneys weren’t rejecting treatment. But I was still getting phone calls from a woman telling me there was a job seminar I should go to.

“I would tell them repeatedly ‘I’ve got a job, I am not unemployed, but Jobseeker was the only support that could work for me.’”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
"New" policy from Luxon, National - by Lilith7 - 07-08-2022, 07:27 PM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by king1 - 08-08-2022, 11:43 AM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by king1 - 08-08-2022, 01:50 PM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by king1 - 08-08-2022, 04:38 PM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by king1 - 08-08-2022, 12:01 PM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by king1 - 10-08-2022, 11:58 AM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by king1 - 10-08-2022, 01:26 PM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by king1 - 12-08-2022, 01:31 PM
RE: "New" policy from Luxon, National - by Lilith7 - 12-08-2022, 01:54 PM