Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is a "shot tower"? Don't ask Simon Dallow. He does not know.
If you have been watching the midday news on TV1 you would have seen the story about the shot tower in Mt Eden and the possibility of it being blown down, so they evacuated people from around it just in case, despite the fact that it has been there for decades with no concern.

What got me about that story was that Simon Dallow admitted on air to the entire country that he did not know what a shot tower was. Alright. I accept that, but it is one thing to be ignorant of a fact but it is another thing entirely to admit your nescience to the nation. You would think that if he did not know - and you cannot be expected to know everything - that he would ask somebody instead of showing he was unenlightened.

And I'm certain there will be many of you who do not know what a shot tower is, so I will elucidate.

Everyone will be aware of the shot in a shot gun cartridge - especially farmers, but how many people know how it is made? Small pieces of molten lead are dropped from the top of the tower into a vat of water below. As they drop they form themselves into small perfectly spherical balls. And that is how shot is made. Simple, really. 

You would have thought that someone would have told Simon Dallow. After all, I'm certain that TVNZ is seen as an authority by many and so to show your ignorance like that is just not in keeping with TVNZ and how it is regarded.

I think that you will agree - it's bad form and not what you would expect from TVNZ.

Messages In This Thread
What is a "shot tower"? Don't ask Simon Dallow. He does not know. - by Roscoe - 14-02-2023, 01:06 PM