Poll: Is it time for NZ to ditch the Monarchy
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yep, they're past their use by date!
30.77%
4 30.77%
I'm really not sure...
23.08%
3 23.08%
No, they still serve a purpose for me and/or NZ
46.15%
6 46.15%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is it time to ditch the monarchy and NZ to become a republic.
(05-05-2023, 09:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't think it is symbolic, it is an industry in itself. The media would be hard pressed to find another rich source to replace it, though politics might suffice.

Since Diana (and maybe before her) though I get the impression that the institution involves huge cruelties, not so much from the royals themselves but from those set about them to protect and manage the institution. For me it is a kind of power corrupting sickness and I wonder if it is actually possible to have a system like the British Monarchy that doesn't bring that negativity with it. Too many people have too much to lose, and it means some have to be sacrificed under its wheels.

Nope, I'd happily see it gone. What though would we replace it with?

Given human nature, that's the question. 

It might start out well, with the best possible intentions & eventually become something else over decades or centuries - we do seem to have a habit of buggering things up, sooner or later.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it time to ditch the monarchy and NZ to become a republic. - by Lilith7 - 05-05-2023, 11:29 AM