Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You can never have enough...
I used to sell heat pump hot water systems - there are a few considerations.
The airflow requirement of the heating unit means that these are usually mounted outside.
The units are slow at heating water, so you need a larger unit than you might think - for instance, if you had a normal 180 litre cylinder, you would install a 300 litre (approx) heat pump unit.
We didn't sell many of them, they were too different from what people were used to.
I do have other cameras!
(21-06-2024, 01:05 PM)Venetian1 Wrote: After my hot water cylinder failed for a second time due to the chlorine in the water I have gone for an infinity gas system, so far I’m still on my first tank of gas after 15 months so cost of hot water is $9 a month and going down. It will pay off the cost of the system in a couple of years at this rate.  Smile
I'm curious about who told you that HWC failure was due to chlorine. Normally water pH is the culprit such as from unbuffered rainwater in a roof water supply which probably isn't the case for you unless you're chlorinating your water tank/s.

I know the sulphate levels in places like Rotorua can present corrosion issues so maybe worth getting your water supply tested so that the Infinity unit doesn't fail prematurely.
In Christchurch the City Council has chlorinated the water for a number of years now because of damage to the pipes from the earthquakes, this has resulted in many, many, many hot water cylinders failing with pinhole leaks due to the excess chlorine.

The water straight out of the tap tastes really bad, need to leave it in a jug in the open air for a few hours to let the chlorine disperse.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(21-06-2024, 02:44 PM)zqwerty Wrote: .....

The water straight out of the tap tastes really bad, need to leave it in a jug in the open air for a few hours to let the chlorine disburse.
Bluuuurk! Sad  Far prefer our roof water with added natural enrichments Tongue
I should feel like I have the power.. lol

Apparently he is staying away cos he might upset me again.. The Blardy noodle lol
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
(21-06-2024, 02:18 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(21-06-2024, 01:05 PM)Venetian1 Wrote: After my hot water cylinder failed for a second time due to the chlorine in the water I have gone for an infinity gas system, so far I’m still on my first tank of gas after 15 months so cost of hot water is $9 a month and going down. It will pay off the cost of the system in a couple of years at this rate.  Smile
I'm curious about who told you that HWC failure was due to chlorine. Normally water pH is the culprit such as from unbuffered rainwater in a roof water supply which probably isn't the case for you unless you're chlorinating your water tank/s.

I know the sulphate levels in places like Rotorua can present corrosion issues so maybe worth getting your water supply tested so that the Infinity unit doesn't fail prematurely.

After the Havelock North outbreak both Hastings and Napier have chlorinated their water and since then there have been numerous cases of leaking cylinders to such an extent that Hot Water Cylinders no longer have warranties for leakage. 
And yes it now tastes foul   Tongue
My fish don't like chlorinated water, neither does my cat, so I fill a watering can, leave it for a few days, then use it for the critters. For me I just add tea bags, or coffee sachets, or citrus juice at the monent, because there's plenty of that available since I started feeding the trees...

As for the heat pump water heater, there are a few on the market to investigate. Outside wouldn't be an issue, but installation costs might well be. We shall see.

(21-06-2024, 04:23 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(21-06-2024, 02:44 PM)zqwerty Wrote: .....

The water straight out of the tap tastes really bad, need to leave it in a jug in the open air for a few hours to let the chlorine disburse.
Bluuuurk! Sad  Far prefer our roof water with added natural enrichments Tongue

Eau de blackbird poop...  Big Grin
(21-06-2024, 07:33 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(21-06-2024, 04:23 PM)harm_less Wrote: Bluuuurk! Sad  Far prefer our roof water with added natural enrichments Tongue

Eau de blackbird poop...  Big Grin
Our treat our water with DX50 then it goes through filters down to 1 micron so theoretically enough to catch any giardia or cryptosporidium cysts. Besides whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Undecided
(21-06-2024, 07:33 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: As for the heat pump water heater, there are a few on the market to investigate. Outside wouldn't be an issue, but installation costs might well be. We shall see.

We put in a heat pump water heater when we built our present house, the brand is Econergy and it was recommended by Consumer as the most cost-effective one.   It has worked perfectly for nearly eight years.   I can't make a meaningful cost comparison because so many other variables came into play when we moved, but certainly our electricity costs during summer are way below the costs in our Auckland house.  Same provider (Powershop).  I think it's worth looking into.
I think so. After all, anything that reduces inescapable living costs as I get old (er) would be a sensible investment. But it will be the total cost that matters, until we see that it is all in the mad ideas folder...

Makes life interesting though, that folder!

My power bill arrived today. $103. 30% up in a year. And it isn't going to get cheaper as the years go by.

(21-06-2024, 08:44 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(21-06-2024, 07:33 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Eau de blackbird poop...  Big Grin
Our treat our water with DX50 then it goes through filters down to 1 micron so theoretically enough to catch any giardia or cryptosporidium cysts. Besides whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Undecided

Well, munching on my garden stuff hasn't done me any harm. Yet.  Wink
Hunni - had an awful day but just read your by the seaside post - cheered me up no end -
I have several family members especially those who rebuilt after Gabrielle who have installed aircon hot water - there is going to be a problem with gas supply so much so the previous govt have passed legislation to prevent any new gas installations early next year so unless this govt changes it will be a problem .My power bill is up $30 but my useage is down - so it’s rate not useage that’s up - it will stay up as the second triage of the rebate reversals kicked in April .
I have done a couple of days at breakfast club as so many volunteers have either the flue or covid - took a photo of todays lunch but having trouble transferring it from my phone - todays lunch which had come from Palmerston on Sunday night and sat in the chiller which the school has to pay to keep running 24/7 was a small handful of cold two minute noodles to be eaten with their fingers with a few cubes of I think ham and chicken and a mandarin - yesterdays was a fish finger on a bed of shredded cabbage with foil packed apple slices which were disgusting .Cost of each meal $20 - we have a local polytechnic 20 mins away from the school which can access free food from Sanitarium Fonterra Foodstuffs Hellers Local Orchardists and the local social supermarket but Hipkins eat al reckon they can’t provide food for the kids for $3 a meal but is happy to pay $20 - beggars belief
Those missing children are a real mystery it gets more complicated by the day - his church must be helping him -there are a lot around that area with huge properties he could be living quite comfortably
The birds seem to be very hungry I can’t keep up with them - a developer bought a house 3 down from me and has chopped down some huge trees that were home to hundreds of birds .A beautiful pōhutukawa a huge Jacaranda that was stunning and several autumn coloured maples and a huge red one - cried as I saw them being felled - probably 100 years old - not for the sun but to squeeze a second dwelling on the section - sacrilege
morning ladies Smile Cloudy start to the day today Smile

OHH< we're saving for one of those hot water heat pump systems. We would have had it last year if so many things hadn't broken down and needed replacing. And like you, it's not worth getting solar as we don't use enough electricity. So we are aiming for next year to have one fitted. We also like the green image and how cost efficient they are. And a bonus will be the 50 year old hot water cylinder will be gone and a cupboard freed up.

We have a problem with the loo... sigh... it comes with the flushing. The water to fill the cistern has slowed down which causes the water pump to stop so no water. Until the plumber comes next week, we have had to turn the wee tap off by the cistern and bucket fill it with water. If it's not one thing, it's another. We surely must be running out of things to replace or repair by now!

happy crafting Smile
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
Good morning. 

Bleak outside and we've had a rain shower.

End of an era in our house after a lifetime of pet ownership. Our little K9 had her last vet visit yesterday after old age, ailing health and reduced mobility became too much.  The mood is sombre as we get used to a new normal.

We have a heat pump hot water system ... it is also used for our heating via radiators which are such a nice form of heating.

Visitors later so I need to bake something. Will see how the day pans out as to whether I do anything outside.

Enjoy the day all.
Morning everyone

Sunny here and rather chilly.

Sorry for your Loss Roma. You will feel its for a long time. Having visitors will make it easier today.

I've never heard or heat pump water heating. I always loved our Gas califont we had in the bus. Instant hot water when you turned the tap on.. but it was on gas bottles, and it was usually me in the shower when the gas ran out, or the water which was also in tanks.

The back and hips are screaming.. but 3 solid nights in a row of sleep has certainly cleared some brain fog Yay. Pills will kick in , in time.

Ive decided to go Back into the garage, with shoes on..!!!! and gather all the metal bits and tools. Ill take them all to the scrap metal people next week. It would only take up room at the garage sale, that I could put other stuff out. Even a little is better than nothing, and it will speed up the process.

Im going to make my bed properly today, first time in a few years. And it will be a change not to have to fold linen up each morning lol.

Going to try and make my own hash browns today too. That should be fun..

I must also look at a waffle makers. I've decided it will be easier to take one of those rather than a huge electric frying pan to the home to make crepes. And yes I had one years ago that didnt get much use so it went lol.

Have a fab day everyone
Morning all
Good frost this morning

Hugs Roma always hard to lose our furry companions I am sure they will live forever in your heart ❤ 

Popeye have you thought about making the crepes at home and heating them at the home?

Pretty much sorted here one more trip to trash Palace and one trip to landfill with stuff no body wants/ can't recycle. Quite pleased with ourselves  having managed to recycle most stuff land fill getting old mirror, box of files and munted dog blanket

Had to pick up DGD1 mid afternoon  from daycare has she was in discomfort from a rash in a delicate place. 
Had to refit car seat which to is easy to get in its  a bu....ger to get the tether released when you want it out though. 
She happy after cream applied, helping yogurt  and  pice cheese while she watched Bluey.

Finished a sleeve on jersey I am knitting for DGD2 and started  on the  second 

Laundry cupboard packed  up today while DH finishes the inside window cleaning.

Enjoy your day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
(22-06-2024, 08:59 AM)Mica Wrote: Morning all
Good frost this morning

Hugs Roma always hard to lose our furry companions I am sure they will live forever in your heart ❤ 

Popeye have you thought about making the crepes at home and heating them at the home?

Pretty much sorted here one more trip to trash Palace and one trip to landfill with stuff no body wants/ can't recycle. Quite pleased with ourselves  having managed to recycle most stuff land fill getting old mirror, box of files and munted dog blanket

Had to pick up DGD1 mid afternoon  from daycare has she was in discomfort from a rash in a delicate place. 
Had to refit car seat which to is easy to get in its  a bu....ger to get the tether released when you want it out though. 
She happy after cream applied, helping yogurt  and  pice cheese while she watched Bluey.

Finished a sleeve on jersey I am knitting for DGD2 and started  on the  second 

Laundry cupboard packed  up today while DH finishes the inside window cleaning.

Enjoy your day

I have thought about that Mica. 

But Im not fond of them reheated. and their mircrowave has a serious mind of its own. Its crazy lol
The freeing up of the hw cupboard hadn't escaped me - the wardrobes we have are single sized, 1950s style. Enough for a winter coat, a dressing gown and two day dresses with leftover space for a going out best suit, lol. Me being a second hand rose cram as much in as possible but it is an immensely frustrating state of affairs. So definitely a bonus!

Saying good night forever to a beloved companion is the hardest thing, even when we know it is the right thing to do, and have done it so many times before. I think of our past loves so often and miss every one of them, but could not imagine keeping that space in my heart and home empty for very long. There is always a new needy love waiting to fill that space, bringing all that comfort and laughter back with them. I hope you find your next one soon Roma.
Hunni - my grandson just sent me this - thought it might tickle your fancy as my Mum used to say
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/...185784.jpg
Love that Jan! I bought three chairs - one for me, one for a visitor, and one for the cat...

She keeps me sane, and often is the only person I see or talk to for days on end, other than you imaginary figments of the interweb - so she is a Very Important Person in my life. And gets treated like one!
Cyber hugs Roma; losing our furry companions (aka boss) is never easy. And may there be another one when the time is right.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)