Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicken and mushroom pot pie
...with potato salad and tomatoes from the garden.

Finally get to use those tiny pots from my Kitchenaid sticker collecting. They look rather good too, bubbling away in the oven.

Might be time for another wine before I serve it up... Big Grin
I've got a couple of the oblong baking dishes with the wooden stands. I've only used them as serving dishes so far, they seem very heavy and possibly hard to clean. I'll be interested in a report from you about how much the food sticks to them and how hard they are to clean.

Your dinner sounds delicious.
I make chicken and mushroom pie from the leftovers after we have roast chicken.
I do have other cameras!
i can never get it to taste like i want it to.
like an irvines frozen chicken pie from back in the day.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
This was leftover roast chook too, with frizzled mushrooms, red onions, in butter, salt and pepper, then chook, floured up then the left over chicken juices from the pan, a splosh of milk to make the sauce. Oil spray into the little pots, big spoon of hot filling and a square of pastry on top, into a hot oven for 20 minutes.

I did a bacon and egg into the pie dish version. Boy that is a monster pie, lasted me lunch and dinner for three days and I gave wedges away. Excellent for families, not so useful for solos - put it did cook beautifully. And easy enough to clean, I soak my cooking stuff to soften all left over cooked on bits and I think that helps. Specially seeing I use a brush rather than metal pads to clean up, too many lovely old plates that scratch easily to risk a Goldilocks or silver pad.

As far as taste goes, commercially made pies are high in salt and fat. It takes a while to acclimatise taste buds to low salt home cooked version. A dash of chili helps... Or a slosh of wine!
no worries there, i rarely salt my cooked food, i can put it on at the table if i havent managed to coax all the flavour out of it. already enough salt in stuff without me adding more to it.
when i stayed at red rock (rastafarian village in jamaica) we had to swim in the sea everyday to absorb salt.. they wont eat salt, and god knows their hair needs the rinse..
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I put my good blood pressure down to a low salt diet. But every now and then I crave the stuff, and indulge...
I just fry up the mushrooms in a big knob of butter, add the chopped leftover chicken, and the leftover gravy, then put it in a small square casserole dish that I've lined with pastry. Another sheet of pastry on top, and in the oven.
I do have other cameras!
Yum... That leftover gravy is a treasure that should never be discarded. Btw, my gran used to pop a teaspoon of dark plum jam into her gravy pan and tell me to stir. If I was good I got handed the teaspoon...

Talking about plums, I had some over ripe ones stewed, in the fridge, thick and syrupy, with no added sugar. Last week when we had a couple of really stinky hot days I pulled out the plastic ice block molds I had when The Kid was small, and had great fun spooning them full of a loose mix of my Greek style yogurt mixed with lemon curd, and the odd dollop of plums before popping the 'sticks' in and stashing them in the freezer.

I just had one for dessert. Oh boy, they are good...
(21-01-2022, 04:16 PM)Praktica Wrote: I make chicken and mushroom pie from the leftovers after we have roast chicken.

Same. My mum dislikes red meat pies so I do chicken, leek, sometimes mushroom in it, usually a bit of mustard, paprika and creme fraiche for the sauce.

Doing a chicken and leek pasta tonight, will keep some of the mix for her pies and make the other 2 of us some beef and pepper ones tomorrow.

Occasionally I have used the mix to make a roulade with extra veg to make pretty colour layers and also stuffed bread rolls. This is hollow out the rolls, fill with mix and put in oven to get nice and crusty on the outside.
Banana cake with a mandarin drizzle. I got the baking bug today Lasagna tonight with pork mince, if I can be bothered with all the messing around. Or tomorrow. It's all holiday...
Fish cakes made with tinned red salmon and mashed potato; an old fashioned dinner that I tart up with a sauce of crème fraīche plus finely chopped capers, gherkins and pickled onion.   It will be perfect on this cold dank evening.