Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You can never have enough...
Good morning all.

Lovely day so far, after torrential rain during the night. Several residents were sweeping up the debris swept onto the kerbs/footpaths after the deluge, while we were out walking.

I have lots of rat stories having lived on farms most of my life ... the most we ever saw at once were when the maize silage cover had been lifted ... that problem was solved with lots of bait stations around the stack. Horrible creatures. Weasels also featured from time to time, usually found dead more than likely after a cat kill.

Our next-door neighbour let us know she has tested positive with covid .... experiencing fairly mild cold-like symptoms ... the bummer is having to isolate for 10 days! We expect to get it sooner or later ... it's everywhere now.

Time for a cuppa and a piece of ginger crunch I baked yesterday. I might have another scrummage in my wool stash and think about some knitting to have on the go from now on.

Have a good day.
Kiwimade - yes, that's very much what it will be, I hope. And I'm putting together a list of my favourite music to inflict on them - apparently, I have weird taste in music...so wherever I am, I'll be laughing. Smile

I have one of those plug in electronic rodent deterrent & haven't had any problem with them since I got it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I have left instructions I want to have my celebration at our favourite beach which can now only be accessed by foot - they don’t need to take me just my ashes - but I want a BBQ like we used to have down there with all the extended family so the logistics of getting the requirements down to the beach might be a bit much - might have to be brought in by sea - have threatened to come back and haunt them if they take me to a funeral parlour - strict instructions they must all bring their dogs !
Not sure if this is too morbid but here goes - the night after my husbands funeral - my three grandchildren - who had all spoken at their grandads funeral asked if they could play the video - my oldest grandchild was trying to send it from her iPad to the TV when the grandfather clock struck - this clock had been threatened with being dumped - my Dad gave it to me but it never went - my husband was Mr Fixit and nothing ever beat him -no matter how much time he spent on it hopeless - could have taken it to a watchmaker but not him he preferred to curse and carry on and threaten the dump - anyway the blooming clock struck as she was trying to get the video to run - the younger kids didn’t realise but my 16 year old granddaughter was stunned - the clock struck again when the kids were speaking on the video and struck again as his coffin was carried out - now I only believe in what I can touch or see or eat but that blooming clock has never struck again
(27-02-2022, 03:28 PM)JanW Wrote: I have left instructions I want to have my celebration at our favourite beach which can now only be accessed by foot - they don’t need to take me just my ashes - but I want a BBQ like we used to have down there with all the extended family so the logistics of getting the requirements down to the beach might be a bit much - might have to be brought in by sea - have threatened to come back and haunt them if they take me to a funeral parlour - strict instructions they must all bring their dogs !
Not sure if this is too morbid but here goes - the night after my husbands funeral - my three grandchildren - who had all spoken at their grandads funeral asked if they could play the video - my oldest grandchild was trying to send it from her iPad to the TV when the grandfather clock struck - this clock had been threatened with being dumped - my Dad gave it to me but it never went - my husband was Mr Fixit and nothing ever beat him -no matter how much time he spent on it hopeless - could have taken it to a watchmaker but not him he preferred to curse and carry on and threaten the dump - anyway the blooming clock struck as she was trying to get the video to run - the younger kids didn’t realise but my 16 year old granddaughter was stunned - the clock struck again when the kids were speaking on the video and struck again as his coffin was carried out - now I only believe in what I can touch or see or eat but that blooming clock has never struck again

I'd be inclined to think you're right & it was your husband. One or two odd things like that have happened to me from time to time. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
morning ladies Smile I wish we had the rain, it's dry as a bone here and I may have to put the hose on the garden again today. It's the wind that dries everything out so quickly.

Wow, Jan! I also think it was your husband having a hand in the clock chiming. There are some things in life we just can't explain but know in our hearts who or what it is. We don't need proof to know. Just like my sewing machine the other day changing stitches without me touching it and to the correct stitch too.

I have to print some photos out today as one of my sisters-in-law wants to make a family photo collage and of course, the photos taken over the last 20 years are digital. Luckily I keep them on an external storage unit so wasn't hard to find some. But boy it brought back memories of what we did as a family when the kids were home and now, with grandkids. Kids sport, school and scouting trips and events, fishing trips, special anniversaries and birthdays and so on. I knew we were click happy with the camera but lol, oh boy, not that much!

I'm still stitching the leaves on my embroidery. I didn't get to spend much time on it yesterday as I finished my book by Chris Hammer. He's an Aussie but his books are a good read if you like detective stories. Hopefully today I can have some time out to embroider.

Mica, I can't wait to see your new quilt. Giraffes are very cute on baby quilts.

Happy crafting Smile
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
I came across some fabulous stitched leaves in my browsing yesterday. I have done enough on the experimental skirt and am thinking about the jacket project, so looking for inspiration. I finally settled for a quick brooch that I am rather pleased with, a little memory piece. My very dear friend Ali was a master weaver here in Auckland with an art practice that ran over forty years. I had some of her fine silk and merino fabric scraps, part of a commissioned hanging she did for the Birkenhead Library. So I have made a big round button from them, over stitched with some hand spun silk yarn another old friend made years ago for me in the shape of the Viking rune for love. Watching Vikings Valhalla as I stitched bled into the piece quite literally, Ali would have loved the drama of that series as well as the costuming.

But it is finished now, so this morning I will vac up the threads on the floor, do the kitchen and bathroom floors, and then take the jacket off the hanger and make a start.

And at some stage today make pasta sauce for the freezer with the tomatoes that ripened on the bench overnight. It is glut time with my beefsteaks.

Life is good...
Morning everyone
Cloudy here, Ive water my plants so it will rain later lol.
The only thing growing at the mo is the grass lol.. Need to get a lawn person in again.

I took the ironing up to MrP yesterday and spur of the moment ended up going to Pukekohe, looking for a travel mug. I was a little offended by the $25 ones in the warehouse... I wanted a big one with a screw on lid. Looked in Crackerjacks, nothing there so ended up in Briscoes... They Had a Sale Lol.. half price but it still cost $20. And just as well I did. I started to have another sugar low just before dinner again. so the cup was handy.

Went to go into reduced to clear and they were shutting very quickly.. wonder if they had a case there. Ill keep an eye on the local gossip groups on FB.. I was annoyed to start with, but now Im thinking I was probably lucky.

I packed up the garage and have 3 boxes each for St Andrews Oppy and the recycle centre. So the Oppies ones will be dropped off this morning on my way up to see MrP. Their shopping cart is going around on Thursday so Im taking him up some change so he can treat himself.

Im planning on working on the crochet this week... to give the knee some rest. Walking around was good but driving wasnt much fun by the end of the trip.

Have a fab day everyone
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
Morning all
Overcsst at moment

Ba k from gym so drinking my coffee

Everyone sounds like they are gainfully occupied Big Grin

Finished the giraffe quilt top next step is to find some cute relevant fabric for the back so it might be a while before I get to quilt fabric shop

Sewed up DGD jersey last  night got to get buttons today  might pop in a d look for some black rice.

Not sure what I will get up to in sewing cave might need to make some long sleeved merino Ts for DGD she is growing g like a weed and like her mum long in the body

Off to  vacuum then shower.

Have a good day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
It was worth putting the hose on the garden just to see the piwakawaka (fantail) having a bath in the wet leaves of the tree. What a wee treasure those birds are. <3 <3

Your brooch sounds gorgeous oh_hunnihunni Smile
Good morning ... a lovely day today.

Have had a quick (because there was hardly anyone there) trip to the supermarket, I was also able to get some items for our isolating neighbour. Now having my coffee then doggy walk time before some uninspiring housework.

There sure are some talented crafters in here .... love hearing of the projects on the go.

I had a cute, wee piwakawaka fly inside a couple of days ago .... flitted around chatting away, then out the open slider again  Smile

Have a good day.
They come in looking for spiders...

Clever wee birds.
morning ladies Smile  It's overcast this morning but we are meant to have sunny skies at least until Friday.  Rain would be very welcome.

Roma, that was kind of you to buy a few grocery items for your neighbour.  You're right, Omicron is everywhere.  I saw on the news 3% of kiwis aren't vaccinated but that 3% has 12% of hospitalisations.  Must be frustrating for the hospitals.

Our niece is still in Wellington holding the blue line.  Will find out today how she is doing.  I keep wondering about hygiene amongst the protestors.  Showers and the like.  It will be more than omicron amongst them if they can't keep clean.

The little piwakawaka came back to the garden later in the morning after I moved the  hose under another tree.  It was thoroughly enjoying the water and a real pleasure to watch.  Flower Heart This summer I have had no aphids on the roses, the first season since I stopped spraying.  Spotted a bunch of ladybugs and know why now  Big Grin  I reckon it's taken three years to restore the natural balance of the garden.  I only spot spray weeds I can't pull or dig out and keep the sprayer close to the ground to stop drift.  The first year I didn't spray I was thinking what on earth am I doing, the aphids were thick over all the roses.  But slowly the birds figured out they were getting easy meals Big Grin I just had to trust the process.

I'm procrastinating again with the tui.  Sigh... will get on  and get it done.  Then I can move on to the next bird in my series.  Will be thinking which one.  I've done a waxeye (very happy with it) so maybe a kingfisher.  We had one visit the garden the other day and see them on the power lines here.

Happy crafting Smile
Morning everyone

Very still here today.

Yesterday was good until I was visiting MrP who informed me that they had all had a covid test.. And that the loud horrible man Frank had been taken to hospital. I rang the home when I got home and asked why I wasnt told of them being tested and there must have been a reason they were being tested. no joy from reception so I asked for the manager to ring me. Honestly that woman has no sence. Yes they have a case. No one was tild anything cos its 'going to be everywhere soon'.. I said you know I have my own health and should have been told. She just didnt care,

I rang head office and they were going to be ringing the thick one. People should be warned... I cant believe how ignorant the manager is.

Then on top of that my dr is leaving... Im on hold trying to get a phone consult about my knee cos I obviously cant go in. And its getting worse rather than mending. Yay I got her last appointment. phew.

I was hoping to move around some boxes etc today but that will be out of the question now.

Oh Kiwimade Kingfishers are beautiful, it will be a lovely set by the time you have finished.. Will you be doing a Kiwi? boring browns but its kinda gotta be there eh

Have a fab day everyone
For the fabric lovers among us, this is a lovely 15 minutes...

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondem...Lb4WDWJpZU
Amazing traditional work Oh_hunnihunni ... all natural ... and wasn't the end result stunning  Smile
morning ladies Smile Whatever rain there was, it side stepped us and buggared off.  Fingers crossed for today.

Oh_hunnihunni, thank you for the video link.  Wow, just wow!  I would be terrified of sewing the end result or even taking scissors to it after all that work.  The woman who was starching the fabric... omgg... her fingers!  I noticed the age of these artists, I hope there will be another generation after them.  

I've been reading the police are moving in to move the protesters this morning.  Nothing like an early morning wake up call.  And I also read an opinion piece by a employment lawyer who said the protesters may think they aren't going to get into trouble with this but some employers may have grounds to dismiss them.  So I wonder if the protesters have thought long term about their actions.  More likely I think, it's a heat of the moment thing that they feel they can't back down from now.  

No embroidery for me again yesterday as we ended up in Rotorua having lunch with MrK's three sisters.  Was a lovely day although MrK reckons when the four of us get together he can't get a word in edgewise lol.   Will attempt to embroider today some time.

I have a few things to potter about with today so will get on with it shortly while the morning is nice and cool.

Happy crafting  Cool Coffee
Morning all
Moisture in the air bit wind

Lovely video Oh_ahunihuni

Good morning yesterday got my errands done cbd yesterday. Quite pleasant in town very few people about lots parking
Notice few smaller cafes closed for good.

Started piecing an eyespy quilt while I find time to go to quilt shop for backing for giraffe quilt however while shopping in my stash for back eyespy quilt found perfect fabric for the giraffe quilt so will have a bit of a quilting  marathon as DD is making a quilt for a friend so will donthatnone too while my cave is set up for quilting. My poor shoulders lol

Dr visit soon then watching DGD while DD takes dog to vet so thats my morning done

Keep those needles moving
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
Morning everyone

No rain here, we usually seem to miss it.. One of these summers I might keep a record just for my own nosey-ness lol.

I managed to get the last appointment with my DR. Legally as a part of her contract to leave... yeah never heard of that before, she's not allowed to say where she will be working from Monday onwards.. but I will find her lol...

I felt good for the fact that both the receptionist and Dr thanked me for not going down. Dr also congratulated me on my 7.8 kilo weight loss. and I described the pain in my knee perfectly. I have to have an x-ray and depending what that shows maybe an ultrasound or MRI.. She also said the exercise Ive been doing is perfect for it.. And that was simply a fluke in doing it lol. I had my feet on a stool in front of me, tipped it on its two back feet and was rocking. And I realized my knee liked it afterwards lol. so I will carry on doing that.

I did 2 squares yesterday, a bit slow but it will get done if I get a couple done everyday. Have another baby due in late October, but those dont take long to whip up. and the one Im doing now is for its Aunty lol.

Poor MrP is already sad that I wont be there on Friday, but Im trying to Jolly him along and saying its only a couple more days till Monday. They should be having their 5 day test on Saturday. He doesn't have any symptoms, although he said he felt very tired yesterday and slept alot of it.

Cant wait to see your quilts Mica.. I love Giraffe's.. I coudln't resist a wee soft toy baby giraffe when we visited the Auckland Zoo several years ago.

Ohh Poor MrK... probably near impossible to get a word in with 4 females lol...

Have a fab day everyone
Nothing like telling MrK I am going to phone our garden guy to come and chop the damed tree down and I don't care what it costs... chainsaw is out and tree is coming down Tongue Big Grin
(02-03-2022, 08:40 AM)kiwimade64 Wrote: Nothing like telling MrK  I  am going to phone our garden guy to come and chop the damed tree down and I don't care what it costs... chainsaw is out and tree is coming down Tongue  Big Grin

WOOHOO well done.... !!!!!!!