Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heather du Plessis-Allan
Is being criticised for the way in which she recently interviewed & ridiculed a young protester. She fairly clearly had done some checking  - no problem with that in itself, that's part of her job - but the way in which she used the information to virtually ambush Izzy Cook was despicable.
I think though, that HDP may have shot herself in the foot with this nasty piece of journalism; the reaction has been very angry & unfavourable to her tactics.

Dodgy

https://www.dailywire.com/news/it-is-pre...s-in-3-2-1

"“So we would have to apply to have, like, approved events to be able to fly for,” du Plessis-Allan prompted.
“Well, that’s one thing that you could look at doing,” Cook replied.
“Am I allowed to go to Fiji? Is that necessary?” du Plessis-Allan asked.
“In the current climate crisis, I don’t think that that’s necessary travel,” Cook said, but du Plessis-Allan immediately pushed back.
“When was the last time you were on a plane?” she asked.
Cook paused briefly before answering, “Um … I’m not sure. A few months ago, to be honest.”
“Where’d you go?” du Plessis-Allan asked.

After another long pause, Cook answered: “Fiji.”
“Izzy!” du Plessis-Allan burst out laughing then, chastising the teen activist. “Izzy! Don’t you care about the climate, Izzy?”

“Of course I care about the climate,” Cook insisted — to which du Plessis-Allan replied, “Not enough.”
“You went to Fiji!” the host said again, still laughing. “Izzy, come on, mate! Are you serious?”

After another lengthy pause, Cook conceded, “It’s pretty ironic. It is pretty ironic, but to be honest, it’s not really a trip that I wanted to go on, but I can’t really get out of it.”

Cook then clarified that her parents had planned the trip and told her that she had no choice but to go along."

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...tions.html

The interview also proved contentious online with numerous people voicing their displeasure. 
"Mocking anyone is cruel and unnecessary. HDPA was bullying a kid. The kid's message was a great message and deserved airtime," one person said. 

Another called for du Plessis-Allan to apologise while another hit out at her for criticising Cook for something out of her control.
"Imagine laughing hysterically at someone who is in the tricky position of being mature enough to try and enact future change, but not quite old enough to be allowed to stay home without your parents for a week," they said. "

https://thespinoff.co.nz/media/25-09-202...y-daughter

"On Friday evening, I listened in horror as my 16 year old daughter had a phone conversation with someone who appeared to be bullying her, laughing at her, and talking over her. As soon as she got off the call I demanded to know who the hell was speaking to my child in this way.

My daughter is Izzy Cook. She’s one of the main leaders for School Strike for Climate in Wellington and is their media contact. She has had some experience with dealing with the media, but she wasn’t prepared for Heather du Plessis-Allan.
Commentators like du Plessis-Allan don’t give a shit about climate change. They don’t care that Arctic ice is melting at four times the expected rate, or that we are seeing more and more extreme weather events killing and displacing people across the globe. No, as du Plessis-Allan is fond of reminding us, it’s the economy that matters, not our planet.

It’s a common tactic used to deflect from the climate crisis, instead of focusing on the actions that we need to take in a rational, reflective manner. They seem particularly keen to go after our youth, whose future is most at stake."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
HDPA has just confirmed her toxic gotcha interviewing style. What she did cannot be classed as journalism and she deserves all the vitriol that comes her way as a result of that despicable performance.

I have listened to the interview (which seems to have now been deleted online) and the hysterical laughter as HDPA laid into a well meaning teenager was absolutely disgusting.

Even more enlightening though are the low lifes that are now coming out in her support. Gutter dwelling personalities attempting to justify HDPA's stance to boost their own sad identities.
(27-09-2022, 03:40 PM)harm_less Wrote: HDPA has just confirmed her toxic gotcha interviewing style. What she did cannot be classed as journalism and she deserves all the vitriol that comes her way as a result of that despicable performance.

I have listened to the interview (which seems to have now been deleted online) and the hysterical laughter as HDPA laid into a well meaning teenager was absolutely disgusting.

Even more enlightening though are the low lifes that are now coming out in her support. Gutter dwelling personalities attempting to justify HDPA's stance to boost their own sad identities.
Yep, it was quite nasty - fair enough if she disagrees with the young woman but the way she went about it, deliberately trying to make  Izzy look like a hypocrite was unnecessary.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Found a posting of the interview. Judge for yourself.
I dont see an issue with what HDPA said in this interview, she showed up the hypocrisy and idiotic thinking thhis student had, while at the same time didnt bash her, but rather couldnt help laughing on how stupid her comments were, she seems happy to talk to her later, so go figure.

We need to stop this shit in the bud, or else we will see these kinds of people running the country and have the amount of travel restricted next thing you know.
Mark my words.
umm, it is just that kind of bullying and harassment and the associated embarrassment that causes our teenagers to go out and commit suicide in large numbers...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(27-09-2022, 07:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I dont see an issue with what HDPA said in this interview, she showed up the hypocrisy and idiotic thinking thhis student had, while at the same time didnt bash her, but rather couldnt help laughing on how stupid her comments were, she seems happy to talk to her later, so go figure.

We need to stop this shit in the bud, or else we will see these kinds of people running the country and have the amount of travel restricted next thing you know.
Mark my words.
I'd be interested to know what your perspective of "this shit" is.
(27-09-2022, 09:20 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(27-09-2022, 07:50 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I dont see an issue with what HDPA said in this interview, she showed up the hypocrisy and idiotic thinking thhis student had, while at the same time didnt bash her, but rather couldnt help laughing on how stupid her comments were, she seems happy to talk to her later, so go figure.

Mark my words.
I'd be interested to know what your perspective of "this shit" is.

I thought it was blatantly obvious?
She was implying that we shouldnt take holidays overseas to places such as fiji, because the carbon emissions are damaging.
Even on the TV they are talking about carrying less luggage with you to cut carbon emissions.
This "shit" is a frikkin joke.

(27-09-2022, 08:13 PM)king1 Wrote: umm, it is just that kind of bullying and harassment and the associated embarrassment that causes our teenagers to go out and commit suicide in large numbers...
I dont identify any bullying in her comments, she was stating the obvious truth and pointing out how stupid she is for saying you shouldnt travel to Fiji, but when asked, it turns out shes been over there!

FFS, doesnt anyone watch parliament TV? Things get way more brutal in there!

(27-09-2022, 06:11 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(27-09-2022, 03:40 PM)harm_less Wrote: HDPA has just confirmed her toxic gotcha interviewing style. What she did cannot be classed as journalism and she deserves all the vitriol that comes her way as a result of that despicable performance.

Yep, it was quite nasty - fair enough if she disagrees with the young woman but the way she went about it, deliberately trying to make  Izzy look like a hypocrite was unnecessary.
Its because Izzy is a hypocrite. Its pretty clear cut after listening to it.
I remain appalled and disgusted at the ignorance of some among us who really, genuinely do not understand that climate change is underway, and that we, as a species are in imminent danger.

Laughing at a kid, supporting her or her interviewer, is simply a distraction that stops us focusing on that very real fact.

Talk about Nero fiddling while Rome burns...
(27-09-2022, 11:10 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(27-09-2022, 08:13 PM)king1 Wrote: umm, it is just that kind of bullying and harassment and the associated embarrassment that causes our teenagers to go out and commit suicide in large numbers...
I dont identify any bullying in her comments, she was stating the obvious truth and pointing out how stupid she is for saying you shouldnt travel to Fiji, but when asked, it turns out shes been over there!

I don't believe HDPA called Izzy stupid at all - you are the one doing that CT...  I suspect you are allowing your (lack of) beliefs about climate change to cloud your judgement as to what is appropriate behaviour toward other people. I don't believe she had a choice on her trip to Fiji, like most kids that age the parent made her go, she couldn't stay home on her own.   

There was so much wrong with that interview, the constant laughing at her on air, the deliberate sabotage and leading questioning, expecting Izzy to be responsible for her mothers decisions and behaviour, the false pretences under which the interview was arranged - she was setup.  

It was quite vile to listen to  -  it maybe an ok tactic for interviewing a seasoned politician who is used to media interviews, but completely inappropriate when your interviewee is a 16 year old trying to do good in the world

(28-09-2022, 07:29 AM)king1 Wrote:

I don't believe HDPA called Izzy stupid at all - you are the one doing that CT...  I suspect you are allowing your (lack of) beliefs about climate change to cloud your judgement as to what is appropriate behaviour toward other people.  I don't believe she had a choice on her trip to Fiji, like most kids that age the parent made her go, she couldn't stay home on her own.   

There was so much wrong with that interview, the constant laughing at her on air, the deliberate sabotage and leading questioning, expecting Izzy to be responsible for her mothers decisions and behaviour, the false pretences under which the interview was arranged - she was setup.  

It was quite vile to listen to  -  it maybe an ok tactic for interviewing a seasoned politician who is used to media interviews, but completely inappropriate when your interviewee is a 16 year old trying to do good in the world
Welcome to National and ACT's world - where hypocrisy and mockery replace discourse, and we are mugs just waiting to be ripped off. CT is one of their footsoldiers, spreading misinformation and deceits.
I do have other cameras!
"I don't believe HDPA called Izzy stupid at all - you are the one doing that CT...  I suspect you are allowing your (lack of) beliefs about climate change to cloud your judgement as to what is appropriate behaviour toward other people. I don't believe she had a choice on her trip to Fiji, like most kids that age the parent made her go, she couldn't stay home on her own.   

It was quite vile to listen to  -  it maybe an ok tactic for interviewing a seasoned politician who is used to media interviews, but completely inappropriate when your interviewee is a 16 year old trying to do good in the world"

Well said. Du Plessis-Allan is a nasty piece of work and that interview was disgusting.
(28-09-2022, 04:39 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I remain appalled and disgusted at the ignorance of some among us who really, genuinely do not understand that climate change is underway, and that we, as a species are in imminent danger.

Laughing at a kid, supporting her or her interviewer, is simply a distraction that stops us focusing on that very real fact.

If its as bad as what they are making out we are already screwed - period.
There is nothing we can do to stop it going by their propaganda.
All this garbage about sea level rise, its only 2-3mm a year at best and thats hardly enough to flood the world any time soon.
No one is going to tell me I cant travel overseas!
More hypocrisy again, lets burn tons and tons of fossil fuel to ship all this crap from China to NZ instead of making the goods here and employing people while at it. But no, you are not going to see any action taken on this will you.

Travel is an easy target.

(28-09-2022, 07:29 AM)king1 Wrote:

I don't believe HDPA called Izzy stupid at all - you are the one doing that CT...  I suspect you are allowing your (lack of) beliefs about climate change to cloud your judgement as to what is appropriate behaviour toward other people.  I don't believe she had a choice on her trip to Fiji, like most kids that age the parent made her go, she couldn't stay home on her own.   

HDPA didnt call her stupid, but it implys that to me!
All she did was largely laugh at her. If she really had strong views on overseas travel and carbon emissions, she should have taken a stand and said how she disagrees with them, yes I know her parents took her over and I bet she enjoyed herself.

No one is going to tell me I cant travel, and I want to go and see the rest of the world.
We have EV's increasing in usage anyway, but you cant even win with that with clowns saying they create greenhouse gases to make from all the mined materials, but so does any vehicle!
Alot of metals get recycled anyway, so its not like you cant make a car from recycled steel, etc.

Mark my words.
Really - you have no issue with deliberately embarrassing a young women who lacks experience & who doesn't yet make all the decisions which affect her life?

Its unfortunate, but that particular trait does appear to often be associated with those on the right who prefer the head in the sand stance when it comes to anything about climate change.
Likewise, the denying of climate change & the denigrating of anyone trying to make changes, however small, if that in any way affects their ability to make profits.
Dodgy
(28-09-2022, 10:26 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(28-09-2022, 04:39 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I remain appalled and disgusted at the ignorance of some among us who really, genuinely do not understand that climate change is underway, and that we, as a species are in imminent danger.

If its as bad as what they are making out we are already screwed - period.
There is nothing we can do to stop it going by their propaganda.
All this garbage about sea level rise, its only 2-3mm a year at best and thats hardly enough to flood the world any time soon.
No one is going to tell me I cant travel overseas!
More hypocrisy again, lets burn tons and tons of fossil fuel to ship all this crap from China to NZ instead of making the goods here and employing people while at it. But no, you are not going to see any action taken on this will you.

Travel is an easy target.
3.6 millimeters per year from 2006–2015 and accelerating CT 
https://www.climate.gov/news-features/un...-sea-level

See the shape of that curve getting steeper? To quote someone who shall remain nameless, we need to flatten that curve...

Now quit with the defeatist attitude and start focusing on what you can do to help fix the problem... Generations that follow us are depending on us.  It doesn't have to be a trade off, we can have both, travel and respecting the environment...  No need to take it so personally - damn young'uns telling me what I can and can't do - they will be cleaning up the mess for a lot longer than you and I will be above ground...

Starting with the issue you alluded to, manufacturing in China instead of NZ - from what I can gather, the Covid pandemic has had the unexpected benefit of highlighting the weaknesses in supply chains and appears to be creating a desire for manufacturers to manufacture closer to their markets... Samsung building a plant in the US for example... Whether it amounts to much, who knows?

There seems to be something of a back lash towards HDPA. Not unwarranted - that behaviour isn't good journalism. But predictably, the right are lapping it up.

https://thestandard.org.nz/the-world-nee...is-allans/

"This is not funny. It is out and out sneering and superiority of a so-called journalist using her power and experience over a 16 year old child. It is disgusting."
(28-09-2022, 10:41 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:

Mark my words.
Really - you have no issue with deliberately embarrassing a young women who lacks experience & who doesn't yet make all the decisions which affect her life?

Its unfortunate, but that particular trait does appear to often be associated with those on the right who prefer the head in the sand stance when it comes to anything about climate change.
Likewise, the denying of climate change & the denigrating of anyone trying to make changes, however small, if that in any way affects their ability to make profits.
Dodgy
I dont believe in man made climate change, look at history, the sea level has fallen and fallen many times, including ice ages.
There are even some ancient cities discovered that flooded thousands of years ago(no im not talking about atlantis)

There is nothing we can do, not worth taxing the shit out of farmers for "farts" and rising food costs with the high cost of living, this is going to take us on the path to a mass breakdown of society.

What annoys me is the stupid measures we are doing to address this, like taking away valuable farmland and putting it into permanent pine forest (not native forest) You would be better off harvesting the timber and growing more pines.
(29-09-2022, 10:50 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(28-09-2022, 10:41 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Really - you have no issue with deliberately embarrassing a young women who lacks experience & who doesn't yet make all the decisions which affect her life?

Dodgy
I dont believe in man made climate change, look at history, the sea level has fisen and fallen many times, including ice ages.
There are even some ancient cities discovered that flooded thousands of years ago(no im not talking about atlantis)

There is nothing we can do, not worth taxing the shit out of farmers for "farts" and rising food costs with the high cost of living, this is going to take us on the path to a mass breakdown of society.

What annoys me is the stupid measures we are doing to address this, like taking away valuable farmland and putting it into permanent pine forest (not native forest) You would be better off harvesting the timber and growing more pines.
you're not confusing that with the resulting melt after an ice age are you? that happens every 100,000 years or so... The science seems very clear that society created this period of global warming and subsequent rising sea levels with the onset of the industrial age and burning fossil fuels. Seems awfully coincidental especially on a planetary time scale

I haven't seen the actual interview - I'm just getting the usual wasteful BS run-around to sites like Twitter (that I wouldn't normally look at). I have seen the initial article about HDP and her "questions". It looks like that while she may have gone too far in ridiculing the girl, where she was coming from was totally on the board I think. Too many of these activists want to stand up and shout before they actually look at the bigger picture of what is reasonable and where they should look in their own back yards first. People can be quick to get on their high horses about one thing and not notice or acknowledge that they can and should apply the principles elsewhere in their own lives first. So if a young girl says that non-essential air travel should be restricted when she has just had a holiday overseas then it's reasonable to point out the hypocrisy.

There is clear evidence that we are in a period of accelerated climate change. The amount of change is a normal part of the earth's cycles, but at present it's happening too fast and causing issues. How much of that is human induced is not certain, but it seems clear that we, supposedly the most intelligent animal, have totally stuffed up. Whether we can reverse it remains to be seen, but we also need to keep a balance of physical and mental fitness and enjoyment of life. Two of the biggest things we should trying to control at a macro level is the sheer number of people (stop having so many damned kids!!!) and stop building new housing on flood plains.
For anyone interested, this Chrome extension called "Behind the Overlay" is really useful for bypassing some paywalls and signup forms that some websites insist on using to prevent you seeing content eg the twitter signup overlay

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...ebcednbbme

Keep the extension visible and just click on it when you see an overlay