Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle finger up to "Cashless Society"
We buy fruit, veg, eggs etc at the farm gate regularly so always have cash on hand for that sort of thing. No business can refuse cash as it is legal tender, they might they and tell you otherwise but they are breaking the law by refusing.
It's hard to fly like an Eagle when surrounded by Turkeys
I think you find it's not illegal to refuse cash. My local council rubbish tip is card only no cash, Auckland transport fares are card only no cash and I have heard of some restaurants taking card only. Some smaller companies don't want to have to handle cash especially in small towns where the banks have closed or have very limited hours. ..
I think the legal tender of cash is for settlement of a debt, so if you are owed money by someone and they offer to pay by cash, you are required to accept it. But I don't think you are required to accept it prior to a debt being incurred ie at a shop...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(01-01-2023, 11:22 AM)Wainuitech Wrote: Personally dont like cash. In my work, its a LOT easier to simply pull out the Mobile eftpos machine, swipe the card - Done.

Its a PITA having to find banks that are actually open when people pay in cash. ANZ in Petone at one stage were closed Mondays and Fridays, dont know if its still the same, and going to lower Hutt -- Damn nightmare.

Having mobile eftpos  saves a lot of troubles with people saying They pay by internet - either standing about while they fumble about trying to remember details, or saying they will pay it later that night then you have to chase them for weeks for payment, as more urgent bills have come in.

Damn right. We hated being paid in cash. Having to go find a machine to deposit it. Myth that self employed people want the stuff. We sure didn't!  Mobile eftpos is the best thing.

(01-01-2023, 02:00 PM)paulw Wrote: I think you find it's not illegal to refuse cash.  My local council rubbish tip is card only no cash,  Auckland transport fares are card only no cash  and I have heard of some restaurants taking card only.  Some smaller companies don't want to have to handle cash especially in small towns where the banks have  closed or have very limited hours.  ..

https://www.rbnz.govt.nz/money-and-cash/

There is no legal requirement for businesses to accept cash as long as they let customers know before starting to shop or receive services.
(01-01-2023, 08:38 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: I haven't used cash for ages, have even forgotten what it looks like , Credit Card, Eftpos or online thats how I spend my meager savings  Big Grin Big Grin

[attachment=415]

FYI

Ken  Big Grin
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
I think a lot of folk forget that there is no compulsion to buy, or sell (with of course the usual rare exceptions that prove the rule), and the terms of those transactions and the choice to participate in them are up to the parties involved.

But I do wish the banks hadn't forgotten that old fashioned concept that relates to serving the needs of their customers.
Thanks Ken, 
are they still legal tender or museum pieces now?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Cashies (illegally avoiding IRD), pocket money, fundraisers all benefit from old fashioned cash.

What about school canteens? Do parents give their kids a card with a balance on it or a couple of gold coins?

As for the ATM - I once had a BNZ ATM eat my card, right after 5pm. Staff could still be seen inside the bank moving about, but damned if any of them would help me out. Would have been deep in the smelly stuff if I was out of town and having to pay for food / gas / accommodation. Cash can rescue you when for one reason or another the tech isn't doing the job.