Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Into every life - - -
So that's what 234 mm of rain looks like?  It felt wetter.

Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(27-01-2023, 11:20 PM)R2x1 Wrote: So that's what 234 mm of rain looks like?  It felt wetter.

I dunno, it is still coming down out there and has been for the last 24 hours with only small breaks. I can understand the call for a state of emergency. I'm just glad I live in a hill...
(28-01-2023, 02:16 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(27-01-2023, 11:20 PM)R2x1 Wrote: So that's what 234 mm of rain looks like?  It felt wetter.

I dunno, it is still coming down out there and has been for the last 24 hours with only small breaks. I can understand the call for a state of emergency. I'm just glad I live in a hill...

Bugger a chunk of my land has dropped into the creek and been washed out to sea.
I wonder does the boundary change it used to be the bank of the creek which is now a few meters into a widened creek.
Dont hold a grudge, slash their tires and call it evens.
If its old and British I want it except British helicopters.
(28-01-2023, 06:47 AM)zkted Wrote:
(28-01-2023, 02:16 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I dunno, it is still coming down out there and has been for the last 24 hours with only small breaks. I can understand the call for a state of emergency. I'm just glad I live in a hill...

Bugger a chunk of my land has dropped into the creek and been washed out to sea.
I wonder does the boundary change it used to be the bank of the creek which is now a few meters into a widened creek.
Land titles that have a stream, river or sea boundary are recognised as being "subject to accretion and erosion". That is if/when the property is resurveyed say for reasons of subdivision or redefinition the changes caused by these factors will be taken into account and the property's land area will change as a result.
(28-01-2023, 02:16 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I dunno, it is still coming down out there and has been for the last 24 hours with only small breaks. I can understand the call for a state of emergency. I'm just glad I live in a hill...

Oh gosh, are you a Hobbit?

Ken  Big Grin Big Grin
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(28-01-2023, 09:58 AM)Kenj Wrote:

Oh gosh, are you a Hobbit?

Ken  Big Grin Big Grin

My hairy pink toes might well suggest so, but no, that is an early am typo as you well know...

Why is it I am the only one awake at those weird hours? It gets very lonely...
Thinking of all you Aucklanders and hope you are all ok.
(28-01-2023, 10:40 AM)Magenta69 Wrote: Thinking of all you Aucklanders and hope you are all ok.
Well, our tanks and reservoirs should be full!
(28-01-2023, 10:44 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(28-01-2023, 10:40 AM)Magenta69 Wrote: Thinking of all you Aucklanders and hope you are all ok.
Well, our tanks and reservoirs should be full!

And overflowing!
(28-01-2023, 10:35 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(28-01-2023, 09:58 AM)Kenj Wrote: Oh gosh, are you a Hobbit?

Ken  Big Grin Big Grin

My hairy pink toes might well suggest so, but no, that is an early am typo as you well know...

Early waking can be hobbit forming?
Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(28-01-2023, 11:07 AM)R2x1 Wrote:
(28-01-2023, 10:35 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: My hairy pink toes might well suggest so, but no, that is an early am typo as you well know...

Early waking can be hobbit forming?
Wink

It is definitely hobbit forming. But it is also a more normal pattern of sleeping - two stages, 3 to 4 hours, then waking, then another sleep period.

As someone who loves her bed it suits me rather well!
I used to be pretty content with 2 to 4 hours sleep but once I got a bit older I slipped to 4 or 5 hours a night. Any more than 6 hours though and I'll feel tired all day. Danged if I know how people get things done in less than 16 awake hours; just eating wastes a fair chunk of the day.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(28-01-2023, 02:04 PM)R2x1 Wrote: I used to be pretty content with 2 to 4 hours sleep but once I got a bit older I slipped to 4 or 5 hours a night. Any more than 6 hours though and I'll feel tired all day. Danged if I know how people get things done in less than 16 awake hours; just eating wastes a fair chunk of the day.
Have you ever considered that perhaps you do things slowly because you get insufficient sleep?
(28-01-2023, 06:23 PM)Olive Wrote:
(28-01-2023, 02:04 PM)R2x1 Wrote: I used to be pretty content with 2 to 4 hours sleep but once I got a bit older I slipped to 4 or 5 hours a night. Any more than 6 hours though and I'll feel tired all day. Danged if I know how people get things done in less than 16 awake hours; just eating wastes a fair chunk of the day.
Have you ever considered that perhaps you do things slowly because you get insufficient sleep?

Hmm, my mum says that., She doesn't sleep much. Except she sits down, starts reading or something and she's zonked out. Jumps and resumes if she is disturbed and is either a massive liar or really doesn't notice she does it all the time.
I know she wakes at night, and it doesn't surprise me at all she nods off, she has issues that cause her not to sleep properly.

It's very bad for cognitive function, once husband got that way, his mental acuity declined noticeably.
Sleep patterns change as we age, but there are things we can do to stabilise them. This twin phase sleep cycle though has got some recent write ups that seem to marry closely with what I experience. And that small hours break is quite productive for me, online or off. It is a nice time of day, quiet, and peaceful...

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220...asic-sleep

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-slee...asic-sleep

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used...ould-again
(28-01-2023, 06:43 PM)piroska Wrote: It's very bad for cognitive function, once husband got that way, his mental acuity declined noticeably.
I would suggest the two issues are a 'chicken & egg' scenario.

My elderly Mum who died almost 12 months ago after suffering worsening dementia over more than 15 years would often be napping in the rest home lounge when we visited her. Judging from the number of fall reports from night staff we were receiving in her last few years it would seem that she was active in the early hours, over and above toileting, so normal sleep patterns would have been extremely broken. Dementia affects a myriad of bodily functions and is also exacerbated by additional stressors, tiredness and illnesses so very much a feedback loop situation IMO.
(29-01-2023, 10:17 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(28-01-2023, 06:43 PM)piroska Wrote: It's very bad for cognitive function, once husband got that way, his mental acuity declined noticeably.
I would suggest the two issues are a 'chicken & egg' scenario.

My elderly Mum who died almost 12 months ago after suffering worsening dementia over more than 15 years would often be napping in the rest home lounge when we visited her. Judging from the number of fall reports from night staff we were receiving in her last few years it would seem that she was active in the early hours, over and above toileting, so normal sleep patterns would have been extremely broken. Dementia affects a myriad of bodily functions and is also exacerbated by additional stressors, tiredness and illnesses so very much a feedback loop situation IMO.

That was my experience with my Mum too, but then, it is while we sleep that our bodies do their best healing and recovery. So perhaps, the body is trying frantically to heal the cognitive degeneration dementia results from, by increasing sleep periods.

On the other hand, with less cognitive activity perhaps sleep is the best option. It certainly is a whole lot more pleasurable than staring at a wall trying to work out what the fuck happened to our brain. And everything else we used to be...
(29-01-2023, 10:17 AM)harm_less Wrote: I would suggest the two issues are a 'chicken & egg' scenario.

Just imagine how much worse it is for vegans.
    They would find that scenario impossible to swallow.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.