Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dont complain and stop buying crap from china
Im shocked how many building materials are imported from China.
I thought most of the stuff we needed was produced here.
Perhaps its steel they are talking about on the news, but we know how bad the quality is of some of that steel coming in to NZ.

Now we are so reliant that when they have production issues, we cant get the stuff when we need it, time to look elsewhere.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2021/10/08/flow-...ty-crisis/
I don't want to buy crap from China, but I am worried about replacing household things as they break down. may not have much choice in the future.
I try not to buy anything new if I can avoid it - I buy mostly from op shops.
(20-10-2021, 11:20 PM)mazalinas Wrote: I try not to buy anything new if I can avoid it - I buy mostly from op shops.

Me too - and from locally owned shops and markets, rather than from chain stores.
I always check country of origin before buying anything.
Op shops and garage sales. Love them both, and purchased many a great bargain.

I do buy from TM as well...all preloved.

Alot of my items I sell on TM, do come from China, and I don't apologise for it. It brings me a top up to my pension, and I can go out to my local cafe, or plant shop and spend my money there, so it's a win win for me.
I like buying second hand, except for the big stuff. Even then it has to fit into a tiny space and come out of a tiny budget so that becomes a discipline imposed upon my choices. The other rules I try to live by are simple enough, things have to be beautiful or useful, things that do not work for me have to be given away or sold on, and everything I own is a temporary possession.

It makes life simpler for sure.
Good morning auntie hunni.

I keep things that make me happy, that have a memory for me, and useful things (and no, I don't mean pots and pans :-)
It would have been nice though if our leadership - and not just political - had seized the covid lockdown period as an opportunity to switch focus towards self sufficiency and away from overshore production. I know some companies are doing it and others have plans, but when we cannot even produce our own cat food in sufficient quantities to keep our moggies alive, there is something really unbalanced about our economy. Our dependence on international suppliers is, as the OP points out, a serious weakness, and leaves us vulnerable in all kinds of ways.
(20-10-2021, 11:20 PM)mazalinas Wrote: I try not to buy anything new if I can avoid it - I buy mostly from op shops.
Same here, nothing better than buying good crown lynn over this rubbish at k-mart
(21-10-2021, 10:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It would have been nice though if our leadership - and not just political - had seized the covid lockdown period as an opportunity to switch focus towards self sufficiency and away from overshore production. I know some companies are doing it and others have plans, but when we cannot even produce our own cat food in sufficient quantities to keep our moggies alive, there is something really unbalanced about our economy. Our dependence on international suppliers is, as the OP points out, a serious weakness, and leaves us vulnerable in all kinds of ways.
Its not just an NZ issue either, its global, i believe covid has woken up alot of companies to the fact they are so dependent on China and need to diversify their locations of manufacture.
Better if you can get it made locally.
Its a joke complaining about global warming/carbon footprints when at the same time happy to send materials to china only to get them processed there and sent back!
they are doing it with timber here I believe and now sawmills are shutting down!
(21-10-2021, 12:07 PM)nzoomed Wrote:
Same here, nothing better than buying good crown lynn over this rubbish at k-mart
I slowly donated all my made in China plates each time I found a made in New Zealand plate at the op shop. Some are Crown Lynn but my rule was they had to be of the same dimension to fit in my tiny cupboard and under $4. I think I have about 14 now haha. The other good thing about this is I eat less as they are smaller dinner plates compared to the made in China ones.

(21-10-2021, 08:21 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I like buying second hand, except for the big stuff. Even then it has to fit into a tiny space and come out of a tiny budget so that becomes a discipline imposed upon my choices. The other rules I try to live by are simple enough, things have to be beautiful or useful, things that do not work for me have to be given away or sold on, and everything I own is a temporary possession.

When this covid malarkey is sorted I'd love to head over your way and pick you up and we can go to the Sallies in Devonport. It's a bit of a hike from me but I've been there a few times and I like that most of their clothing is $4. I got an awesome Paula Ryan really long bead necklace from there a few months ago.
(21-10-2021, 10:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It would have been nice though if our leadership - and not just political - had seized the covid lockdown period as an opportunity to switch focus towards self sufficiency and away from overshore production. I know some companies are doing it and others have plans, but when we cannot even produce our own cat food in sufficient quantities to keep our moggies alive, there is something really unbalanced about our economy. Our dependence on international suppliers is, as the OP points out, a serious weakness, and leaves us vulnerable in all kinds of ways.
Yeah, especially economic blackmail and bullying by foreign governments.
(21-10-2021, 08:25 PM)mazalinas Wrote:
(21-10-2021, 12:07 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Same here, nothing better than buying good crown lynn over this rubbish at k-mart
I slowly donated all my made in China plates each time I found a made in New Zealand plate at the op shop. Some are Crown Lynn but my rule was they had to be of the same dimension to fit in my tiny cupboard and under $4. I think I have about 14 now haha. The other good thing about this is I eat less as they are smaller dinner plates compared to the made in China ones.

(21-10-2021, 08:21 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I like buying second hand, except for the big stuff. Even then it has to fit into a tiny space and come out of a tiny budget so that becomes a discipline imposed upon my choices. The other rules I try to live by are simple enough, things have to be beautiful or useful, things that do not work for me have to be given away or sold on, and everything I own is a temporary possession.

When this covid malarkey is sorted I'd love to head over your way and pick you up and we can go to the Sallies in Devonport. It's a bit of a hike from me but I've been there a few times and I like that most of their clothing is $4. I got an awesome Paula Ryan really long bead necklace from there a few months ago.
Maz, they are open! Only letting 20 people in at a time, but definitely open. I believe there was some abuse getting flung around yesterday when they restricted entry, but that figures! As soon as we can sit down for lunch - inside or out, let's do that! We could decide on a day and a time and make it an occasion! See if anyone else wants to join us...
It was simply gorgeous down there this morning, gentle breeze, not too many people - I just needed a cafe to make it perfect!
Forestry products are prime example Grown in NZ shipped of as logs
shipped back as materials used in many industries.

Also F & P just to name one had several plants here in NZ yet they all
closed now made off shore

Don't get me started on the off shore call Center 's

We are now reaping what we have sown to out source off shore
Had enough of chinese power tools that dont last more than 2 years even for hh use so i buy good used gear . Even found a crown lyn dinner set in the SPCA shop last year for $20 snapped it up amazing what you find in op shops
(11-11-2021, 11:45 AM)Orthelia Wrote: Forestry products are prime example Grown in NZ  shipped of as logs
shipped back as materials used in many industries.

Also F & P just to name one had several plants here in NZ  yet they all
closed now made off shore

Don't get me started on the  off shore call Center 's

We are now reaping what we have sown to out source  off shore
Forestry is really what makes my blood moil the most, more sawmills shutting down around this country and more products "re-imported" from china.
So much for NZ wanting to have a clean green carbon footprint. Look at all the shipping involved!

If i was PM, i would be putting a stop to this immediately.
great post and fully agree.
I'm not sure how long I've been saying that imo it would be no bad thing for every country to become as self sufficient as is possible - especially places like NZ where we're so far from others. What's needed, I think are politicians who can & do, look further forward than their terms.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)