Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charter schools
Oh joy..charter schools again.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/516...ic-schools

Quote:What is a charter school?
According to the Ministry of Education, charter schools are another version of a government-funded school that provides teachers and parents "with more choice".
Teachers in charter schools are given a different model of accountability, which provides more freedom for them in what is taught to students - and how it is taught to them.
Children must still be safe, attending school and be able to show that they are learning.
Associate Education Minister David Seymour said charter schools provide educators with greater autonomy, create diversity in the education system and allow teachers freedom from state and union interference.
He said they will "raise overall educational achievement, especially for students who are underachieving or disengaged from the current system".
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I am in favour of us having a variety of ways to educate, but I admit to a small shudder of horror at the thought of Destiny being funded to build one of its own.

I guess I'm still holding onto some biases...
(15-05-2024, 10:03 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am in favour of us having a variety of ways to educate, but I admit to a small shudder of horror at the thought of Destiny being funded to build one of its own.

I guess I'm still holding onto some biases...

I've come to the view that religious groups of all kinds should never be allowed to educate anyone, given the damage they've inflicted over centuries which is only now being revealed.

And the Tamaki lot should never be  in charge of educating anyone.  Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
But hey, the cellphone ban doesnt extend to them!
(17-05-2024, 10:39 AM)nzoomed Wrote: But hey, the cellphone ban doesnt extend to them!

Which is really interesting; could it possibly be that having use of their cellphones might be seen as a sweetener, a benefit, even perhaps a  bribe, if parents opt to send their kids to those schools..

I'm presently reading Patricia Grace's new book, The bird child & came across a new word this morning - Karoro; 'the seagull which flies in,shits & goes on its way.'

Which seems to me a truly excellent description of this govt.... Angel Big Grin Big Grin
The charter schools really don't seem to be of much use for some kids.  Why is it so difficult for politicians to simply ask teachers what's needed & act accordingly?

https://www.thepress.co.nz/nz-news/35027...ol-funding

Quote:According to NZEI, when adjusted for inflation, it would cost $60,000 per student today, compared to the $9000 per student public schools are funded.
Documents showed 30% of the cost (more than $35m) was departmental, back office spending.
Seymour said the charter school funding was largely done on a “per-student basis,” and will be “broadly equivalent to that for state schools”.

But RNZ reported that Cabinet papers suggested charter schools would increase government costs yet may only deliver marginal benefits.
The papers showed the $153m, allocated over four years for reviving the schools, was mostly for the extra cost of opening and administering the schools, RNZ said.
NZEI president Mark Potter said the funding for charter schools was a “distraction” from the help needed in the public system.
The $153m could pay for 700 fulltime teaching assistants across the country, he said.
“It's frustrating to see things getting serious investment that the majority were not calling for, when the things that we have been calling for, for some time, still don’t get the investment they need,” he said.
(17-05-2024, 11:04 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(17-05-2024, 10:39 AM)nzoomed Wrote: But hey, the cellphone ban doesnt extend to them!

Which is really interesting; could it possibly be that having use of their cellphones might be seen as a sweetener, a benefit, even perhaps a  bribe, if parents opt to send their kids to those schools..

I'm presently reading Patricia Grace's new book, The bird child & came across a new word this morning - Karoro; 'the seagull which flies in,shits & goes on its way.'

Which seems to me a truly excellent description of this govt.... Angel Big Grin Big Grin

I dont think there is any reason for this, other than its just a technicality surrounding the current legislation, since the legislation only applies to state schools administered by ministry of education.
You will likely see that most private schools will use their own discretion whether or not to apply bans or not too.
It is another chance to undo something Labour did...
(17-05-2024, 01:06 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It is another chance to undo something Labour did...

Indeed. Although to be fair it seems that any new govt here spends their first 12-18months undoing what was done by the previous lot.

Its just that this lot appear to be far more ruthless about it. Dodgy