Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sayings & Quotes
“Without patience I could never have succeeded.”

“Some people say that violence & war are inevitable. I say rubbish: our brains are fully capable of controlling instinctive behaviour. We're not very good at it though, are we?”
Jane Goodall
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
“So, let us move forward with faith in ourselves,in our intelligence, in our indomitable spirit. Let us develop respect for all living things .Let us try to replace violence & intolerance with understanding & compassion & love.”

Jane Goodall

“The rich would have to eat money if the poor did not provide food.”
Russian proverb
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
“In the very end. Civilisations perish because they listen to their politicians & not their poets.”
Jonas Mekos

“I have never been able, really, to figure out where my life begins & where it ends. I have never, ever, been able to figure it all out,m what its all about, what it all means.”
Jonas Mekas
“I live, therefore I make films, therefore I live. Life. Movement. I make home movies, therefore I live. I live, therefore I make home movies.”
Jonas Mekas

“In a meadow full of flowers, you cannot walk through and breathe those smells and see all those colors and remain angry. We have to support the beauty, the poetry, of life”.
Jonas Mekas
“To me, cinema is cinema. Cinema is one big tree with many branches. The same as literature. In literature, you don't just say “Oh, I bought some literature.” No, you say “I bought a novel by so & so, or a book of essays by so & so.”
Jonas Mekas

“I think age is overrated.You're OK as long as you don't grow up. By all means grow old, but don't mature. Remain childlike, retain wonder, the ability to be flabbergasted by something.”
Billy Connolly
“But I didn’t and still don’t like making a cult of women’s knowledge, preening ourselves on knowing things men don’t know, women’s deep irrational wisdom, women’s instinctive knowledge of Nature, and so on. All that all too often merely reinforces the masculinist idea of women as primitive and inferior – women’s knowledge as elementary, primitive, always down below at the dark roots, while men get to cultivate and own the flowers and crops that come up into the light. But why should women keep talking baby talk while men get to grow up? Why should women feel blindly while men get to think?”

― Ursula K. Le Guin

https://old.reddit.com/r/CuratedTumblr/c...knowledge/
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
“The problem isn't a lack of money, food, water or land. The problem is that you've given control of these thngs to a group of greedy psychopaths who care more about maintaining their own power than helping mankind.”
Bill Hicks

“The greatest gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles,it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world & experience of a wide kind.It is a moral illumination.”
Elizabeth Hardwick
“Life's biggest tragedy is that we get old too soon & wise too late.”
Benjamin Franklin

“Anti intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political & cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov
“Please, no more talk of compamies 'giving' people jobs. In reality, the gift relationship goes in the other direction. Workers give their blood, sweat & tears, sometimes their lives, & in return companies pay them the minimum they can get away with it.”
Barbara Ehrenreich

“Your kids are not leaving the church because you didn't train them enough. Your kids are leaving the church because you trained them well anough to develop a sense for truth & justice. You let them read the words of jesus - & they got it.
And they've recognised that the church doesn't seem to be interested in those words. They're not leaving because they don't know the truth, they're leaving because they do.”
Rhett McLaughlin
“In our obscurity,in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.”
Carl Sagan

“I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My mind is my own church."
Thomas Paine
“All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish,Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify & enslavemankind & monopilise power & profit.”
Thomas Paine

“I believe in Spinoza's god who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a god who concerns himself with the fates & actions of human beings.”
Albert Einstein
Charles Darwin:

The quote by The Descent Of Man, "We are the architects of our own destiny, shaped by our choices and actions," emphasizes the immense power and responsibility we hold in shaping our lives.

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."

[What did Darwin say about human evolution?
Abstract. In the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin says little about human evolution, other than to assert firmly that we humans did evolve and are part of the interrelated natural world along with all other organisms.]
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
“We are in the hands of men whose power & wealth has separated them from the reality of daily life & from the imagination. We are right to be afraid.”
Grace Paley

“ A body of men holding themselves accountable to nobody ought not to be trusted by anybody.”
Thomas Paine
“Stupidity is much the same all over the world. A stupid person's notions & feelings may confidently be inferred by those which prevail in the circle by which the person is surrounded. Not so with those whose opinions & feelings are an emanation from their own nature & faculties.”
John Stuart Mill

“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”
George Carlin
“There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe & it has a longer shelf life.”
Frank Zappa

“Primitive life is very common & intelligent life is fairly rare. Some would say it has yet to occur on planet earth.”
Stephen Hawking
“It is only because of their stupidity that they are able to be so sure of themselves.”
Franz Kafka

“The day you stop looking because you're content god did it...I don't need you in the lab. You're useless on the frontier of understanding the nature of the world.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
“The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil but because of the people who don't do anything about it.”
Albert Einstein

“God is an ever receeding pocket of scientific ignorance.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
“Biology disproves Adam & Eve. Cosmology disproves a six day creation. Genetics disproves intelligent design.Statistics disproves the power of prayer. Physics disproves a young earth. Geology disproves Noah's flood. Neurology disproves the soul. And anthropology proves that gods are human ideas & can be traced back to the cultures who invented them.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

''All the eggs a woman will ever carry form in her ovaries while she is a four month old foetus in the womb of her mother.
This means our cellular life as an egg begins in the womb of our grandmother.
Each of us spent five months in our grandmother's womb, and she in turn formed in the womb of her grandmother.
We vibrate to the rhythm of our mother's blood before she herself is born, and this pulse is the thread of blood that runs all the way back through the grandmothers to the first mother.''
Layne Redmond, When The Drummers Were Women
That last quote reminded me of this, Lilith7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve
(30-05-2024, 09:52 PM)zqwerty Wrote: That last quote reminded me of this, Lilith7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Its an interesting subject & I doubt that we know all that there is to know about it; there's a book on the subject which came out a few years ago, The seven daughters of Eve,Bryan Sykes.

“The ability to speak several languages is valuable, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.”
Anon

“I prefer someone who burns the flag & then wraps themselves up in the constitution over someone who burns the constitution & then wraps themselves up in the flag.”
Molly Ivins