Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The budget
How truly fabulous! Our very generous govt has allowed pensioners a wonderful $4.50 a week enabling us to put a down payment on a loaf of bread or stretch to a few extra rice grains.!

Rolleyes

As per usual, very little for those on low incomes, just the usual few crumbs - & they went back on their promise to fund new cancer drugs, so those people will either have to go into debt or give up & die. Dodgy Angry

They seem to have let people down quite badly.

https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU2405/S...s-need.htm

Quote:Budget 2024 is placing this governments ideological wants before real New Zealanders' needs.
“Tax cuts and spending cuts are favoured over addressing the cost-of-living crisis and delivering the investments that New Zealanders need," said NZCTU Economist Craig Renney.
“Nicola Willis has failed her own tests that she set herself, such as when she said her tax cuts would “not require any additional borrowing” said Renney. According to Treasury, the Government will borrow an additional $17.1bn by June 2028. Tax cuts will cost nearly $10bn. Future taxpayers are going to pay for tax cuts today.
“Willis also claimed that she would be able to deliver on all National’s election promises. Yet the tax cut programme doesn’t include the Working for Families changes promised by National in opposition. The gambling tax changes were supposed to bring in $716m over the next four years. They now bring in $190m. It’s now clear that the tax package isn’t being delivered as promised.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Well Nicola is a millennial and they were not taught mathematics very well at school so one has to make allowances. I thought that they might cut the winter energy payment but that might be one of the few things that we thank Winston for as well as the still free prescriptions for over 65's. But there is another Budget next year.
Look... anything that doesn't cost us is a win far as I'm concerned. I remain deeply suspicious though...
The recent rise in power charges easily swallows our $4 - that isn't to mention the coming rates rises (both city council and regional council), grocery price rises (we've changed to lower priced oils and spreads) and the coming prescription charge. At least we aren't renting...
I do have other cameras!
(31-05-2024, 10:47 AM)Praktica Wrote: The recent rise in power charges easily swallows our $4 - that isn't to mention the coming rates rises (both city council and regional council), grocery price rises (we've changed to lower priced oils and spreads) and the coming prescription charge. At least we aren't renting...
But aren't the landlords going to discount rents as a result of the tax breaks they're being given /s Rolleyes
Bernard Hickey says this about the budget...

"In summary, in my view, the Government’s actions since its election and in this Budget have increased inflationary pressures and have contributed to the Reserve Bank not cutting interest rates. The immediate big freeze in funding and grants for house-building, school-building and rail-building, along with sacking 5,000 public servants, has also slowed economic growth in a way that has added to the Government’s net debt track.

So far, the Government has increased the cost of living and increased Government debt while suspending the nation’s water, housing and public infrastructure building pipeline. All in the name of delivering tax cuts for wage earners and landlords that will barely offset the extra costs imposed on many since its election.

Some poorer and younger taxpayers and students who rent are already significantly worse off after paying higher bus fares and higher rents. Soon, they will also face paying higher student fees, prescription fees and a myriad of little fees and charges designed to offload Government costs back onto taxpayers individually."
I do have other cameras!
just imagine how good the budget would have been for everyone if the previous 2 governments hadnt squandered all that taxpayers money, but no problem all you moaners can ride around on the empty cycle lanes and you may be able to borrow some money off the mongrel mob they may have some of cindys money left
yes i know
(31-05-2024, 01:17 PM)jim157 Wrote: just imagine how good the budget would have been for everyone if the previous 2 governments hadnt squandered all that taxpayers money, but no problem all you moaners can ride around on the empty cycle lanes and you may be able to borrow some money off the mongrel mob they may have some of cindys money left
You seem to have forgotten that the previous government navigated NZ through a number of unprecedented events, namely a global pandemic and disastrous weather events.

What came to mind in consideration of yesterday's budget is that Willis has borrowed us to the gunnels largely to satisfy her promises to the rental landlords resulting in a knife edge economic outlook with no contingency whatsoever to deal with the next climate related, or other, unseen disaster coming our way. What could possibly go wrong? Rolleyes 

And what you think our Governor General has to do with NZ's finances is beyond me.
(31-05-2024, 01:53 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(31-05-2024, 01:17 PM)jim157 Wrote: just imagine how good the budget would have been for everyone if the previous 2 governments hadnt squandered all that taxpayers money, but no problem all you moaners can ride around on the empty cycle lanes and you may be able to borrow some money off the mongrel mob they may have some of cindys money left
You seem to have forgotten that the previous government navigated NZ through a number of unprecedented events, namely a global pandemic and disastrous weather events.

What came to mind in consideration of yesterday's budget is that Willis has borrowed us to the gunnels largely to satisfy her promises to the rental landlords resulting in a knife edge economic outlook with no contingency whatsoever to deal with the next climate related, or other, unseen disaster coming our way. What could possibly go wrong? Rolleyes 

And what you think our Governor General has to do with NZ's finances is beyond me.
yes but when the previous national government is blamed for everything saying that the had a earthquake and a GFC to deal with doesnt butter no parsnips with the raving leftards
yes i know

Just imagine how  well this country might be doing, had previous govts adopted a long term view on everything, rather than just their term in govt.

Imagine how much better off we'd ALL be, had previous govts raised taxes (& removed the chance of tax avoidance) & used that money to as far as possible, pay for education, health, social welfare etc etc.

Imagine how much the entire world could improve in 3-4 generations if every person on this planet had free access to education throughout their entire lives....

(31-05-2024, 02:04 PM)jim157 Wrote:
(31-05-2024, 01:53 PM)harm_less Wrote: You seem to have forgotten that the previous government navigated NZ through a number of unprecedented events, namely a global pandemic and disastrous weather events.

yes but when the previous national government is blamed for everything saying that the had a earthquake and a GFC to deal with doesnt butter no parsnips with the raving leftards

But that IS the tradition - every incoming govt blames the previous govt for absolutley everything for their first 12-18 months in govt... Rolleyes Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
What the hell is wrong with saying - the last government did well, but we can do better? It would certainly be a better look than this constant whining...
(01-06-2024, 12:10 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: What the hell is wrong with saying - the last government did well, but we can do better? It would certainly be a better look than this constant whining...

That's because they know their main support comes from entitled whiners...
I do have other cameras!
(01-06-2024, 12:39 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 12:10 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: What the hell is wrong with saying - the last government did well, but we can do better? It would certainly be a better look than this constant whining...

That's because they know their main support comes from entitled whiners...

Ah yes, those poor creatures who have to pay far too much tax. Rolleyes Rolleyes
Big Grin

Knobbers & Fappers,every last one of them.. Dodgy

(31-05-2024, 10:56 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(31-05-2024, 10:47 AM)Praktica Wrote: The recent rise in power charges easily swallows our $4 - that isn't to mention the coming rates rises (both city council and regional council), grocery price rises (we've changed to lower priced oils and spreads) and the coming prescription charge. At least we aren't renting...
But aren't the landlords going to discount rents as a result of the tax breaks they're being given /s Rolleyes

Why yes, of course; & on the very same day they're going to divest themselves of all their ill gotten gains & allocate it to various very worthy charities... Rolleyes

And apparently, I really am Marie of Romania after all... Big Grin Big Grin
Talking to someone from WINZ - they've been told they need to get 50,000 off the job seekers benefit, but everyday people ring up looking for help. ''What was your previous job ?'' 'I worked in a Government department.''
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(01-06-2024, 04:08 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Talking to someone from WINZ - they've been told they need to get 50,000 off the job seekers benefit, but everyday people ring up looking for help. ''What was your previous job ?''  'I worked in a Government department.''

Yeah, its going to be really tough on those people especially if they're not so young any more, & dealing with WINZ may come as a shock to some.

That is a ridiculoud number to have to remove froma a benefit when times are as difficult as they now are; you have to wonder if this lot are aiming for people to die of starvation. Dodgy Angry
(01-06-2024, 06:57 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(01-06-2024, 04:08 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Talking to someone from WINZ - they've been told they need to get 50,000 off the job seekers benefit, but everyday people ring up looking for help. ''What was your previous job ?''  'I worked in a Government department.''

Yeah, its going to be really tough on those people especially if they're not so young any more, & dealing with WINZ may come as a shock to some.

That is a ridiculoud number to have to remove froma a benefit when times are as difficult as they now are; you have to wonder if this lot are aiming for people to die of starvation. Dodgy Angry

No, their political philosophy tells them that those people are all lazy wasters ripping off the system.
I do have other cameras!
Praktica
(01-06-2024, 06:57 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Yeah, its going to be really tough on those people especially if they're not so young any more, & dealing with WINZ may come as a shock to some.

No, their political philosophy tells them that those people are all lazy wasters ripping off the system.

It is, & that's exactly why I've come to beieve that:

A) No wealthy person should ever be permitted to become a politician, & 
B) All MP's shoulld be required to live on the equivalent of the lowest wage/benefit during their time in Parliament, with extras from taxpayers to fund travel etc, when necessary.
This morning's Q&A interview with Nicola Willis for those that missed it, and can handle listening to her for ~30 minutes.

yes but the last government did far from well
yes i know
So nine thousand families worse off..fantastic work Nicola.

"There are three times as many households in New Zealand who will be worse off because of your tax changes than will get the maximum tax cuts you campaigned on,” he said.
Willis said Tame’s view was “selective picking of the data” and that 5000 of those people were only slightly worse off.
“I’m looking at the number you have campaigned on – you’ve gone on and on and on about it,” Tame said.

Willis was also under fire over child poverty and the additional costs households face.
“A person without young kids gets an average of $17 a week but you are reintroducing prescription charges, increasing waste disposal levies, reintroducing first-year tuition fees, increasing overall tuition fees by 6 per cent, hiking interest on late payments on student loans, removing public transport subsidies for children and young people, increasing vehicle registration fees and introducing road user charges,” Tame said.

“What assurances can you give that person, who feels their $17 a week is being eaten up, that your Government won’t introduce other forms of new taxes?”
Willis fired back, stating that tax reduction was permanent and the real culprit was inflation."

Ah yes - of course, inflation. Ever so handy, that...

They knew damned well what they were doing would cause further hardship for those worst off; they just did not care.

Yes, but it could be entirely accurate & even worse, fair. 

Hardly the done thing in politics... Rolleyes Big Grin