Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sayings & Quotes
Clint Eastwood turns 94 today. He is an Atheist. "No, I don't believe in God..... If you think that nothing happens after you die, maybe it makes you live life better"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_East...meditation

I remember Clint from "Rawhide" most of all, early TV.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
“A flag is supposed to represent everything that a country does. It doesn't only represent the good things. If you burn the flag, you're burning the flag for what you perceive to be the bad things the country has done. It's only a symbol. It's only a piece of cloth.”
George Carlin

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Roger
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(01-06-2024, 08:53 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Clint Eastwood turns 94 today. He is an Atheist. "No, I don't believe in God..... If you think that nothing happens after you die, maybe it makes you live life better"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_East...meditation

I remember Clint from "Rawhide" most of all, early TV.

Jeez, I remember him in that as well - we must be really old! Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
“The only thing free is the freedom to think. Use it wisely.”
Neil de Grasse Tyson

“I offer my opponents a bargain; if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them.”
Adlai Stevenson
“Those that can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - 18th Century philosopher Voltaire
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
A hypocrite is the kind of politician who would cut down a redwood tree, then mount the stump & make a speech for conservation.”

“In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take.”
Adlai Stevenson
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,” a Quote Falsely Attributed to Edmund Burke

https://i.redd.it/22drum9f1i4d1.png

1989 Tiananmen Square protests and massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tiana...d_massacre
So long ago...

“All progress has resulted from people who took unpopular positions.”

“It is often easier to fight for one's principles than it is to live up to them.”

Adlai Stevenson
“The human race is a family.Men are brothers. All wars are civil wars.”

“A hungry man is not a free man.”
Adlai Stevenson
“Patriotism is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil & steady dedication of a lifetime.”

“Newspaper editors are men who separate the wheat from the chaff, & then print the chaff.”

Adlai Stevenson
"In a country where the sole employer is the State, opposition means death by slow starvation. The old principle: who does not work shall not eat, has been replaced by a new one: who does not obey shall not eat."

Leon Trotsky

Bonus Pic:

"Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia – the fruits of his genius for statesmanship – and you will never understand why he’s not sitting in the dock at The Hague next to Milošević." - Anthony Bourdain
“Change is inevitable.Change for the better is a fulltime job.”

“What counts is not the years in your life but the life in your years.”

Adlai Stevenson
“In quiet places, reason abounds.”
Adlai Stevenson

“Starvation & dignity do not mix well.”
Arthur Okin
“Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.” - Dolly Parton
“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”
Isaac Asimov

“You cannot be both the world's champion of peace & the world's leading supplier of the weapons of war.”
Jimmy Carter
“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
George Orwell

“Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep & continuing needs, is good for him.”
Maya Angelou
“History is written by the rich, & so the poor get blamed for everything.”
Jeffrey D Sachs

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
Voltaire
"It takes a monster to kill children.But to watch monsters kill children again & again & do nothing isn't insanity – its inhumanity.”
Amanda Gorman

“The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world.”
Dr Paul Farmer
“One of the most cowardly things ordinary people do is to shut their eyes to facts.”
C. S. Lewis

“War is a game played by maniacs who kill each other. Locate the man who profits by war & strip him of his profits - war will end.”
Woody Guthrie