Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thousands protest fast track bill
How the hell did these destroyers get voted into power fgs.
Quote:https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/environment/5...l-auckland
"Thousands of people gathered in central Auckland have been told that they must say no to the Fast-track Approvals Bill.
The protesters - including former Green Party co-leader Russel Norman, Forest & Bird chief executive Nicola Toki and actress Robyn Malcolm - made their way down Queen Street as part of the March for Nature.
The bill will see three ministers in charge of deciding on whether major infrastructure or development projects should go ahead.
In a speech to the crowd gathered in Aotea Square, Toki addressed Prime Minister Christopher Luxon.

"This is your government, these are your ministers. Responsibility for this environmental nightmare rests with you."
The former Green Party co-leader and Greenpeace executive director Russel Norman believes the bill will be bad for the environment.
"We must stop those who would destroy nature for profit.

"The vast majority of New Zealanders - nine out of 10 people, when you survey them - say they do not want development that causes more destruction of nature."
"Expect resistance from the people of Aotearoa. There will be no seabed mining off the coast of Taranaki. There will be no new coal mines in pristine native forest.
"We will stop them - just like we stopped the oil exploration companies. We disrupted them until they gave up."
The government would be on the wrong side of history if it ignored protesters, Norman said.

Protesters interviewed by RNZ said the bill was a "dumb" decision and would take New Zealand backwards.
"It's putting ... the decision making into [the hands of] just a couple of people, " one said.
"It feels like this government's taking us back to the 1950s. It's just dumb on so many levels," said another.

Shane Jones makes it very clear that he  this govt are all about profit, with zero ceoncern for the environment. Dodgy
Quote:https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/517...t-and-bird
Mining criticism is ill-conceived and the government will look at oil and gas exploration next, Resource Minister Shane Jones says.
Critics have called the government's newly released mining strategy a love letter to off-shore mining companies.
But Jones has argued it would create regional jobs, economic resilience, and meant the country was not relying on minerals extracted under poor conditions overseas.
"Sure there are a tiny group of green cultists who want to turn the entire stewardship land into sort of some tapu estate. It is already mined, it should be made available not only for additional carbon forestry purposes, but mining, and it will be."
Criticism about mining was ill-conceived, Jones told Morning Report.
"We've got a multi-source, revenue speaking, economy and mining will play a key part. Sure I've introduced the strategy, soon I'll be elaborating how we're going to reinvigorate oil and gas.
"And the fast-track legislation is going to be an opportunity to expeditiously allocate the necessary consents to expand the mining.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
LOL have a cry why dont you
yes i know
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/519...-this-year

The ignorance of Shane Jones and NZF is mind boggling. Climate change deniers, oblivious to the lack of interest in NZ's offshore drilling permits and ignoring the lengthy time line from exploration to production coming on stream.

The intermittency of wind and solar generation methods was recognised by the previous government which was the reason they were investigating the viability of the Lake Onslow pumped hydro scheme. The fact is that solar and onshore wind are the cheapest generation available and can be commissioned very quickly in contrast to throwing investment funds into fossil fuelled methods as the world moves away from burning hydrocarbons.

This coalition government lacks foresight and any understanding of how seriously the rest of the world is starting to take climate change and implementing strategies that fly in the face of that approach is a recipe for loss of trading access into more visionary countries such as much of Europe. NZ's exports are already hobbled due to the extended freight routes we must use to get our produce to market and putting more emissions load onto those exports before they even leave our shores is an idiotic approach.
the rest of the world is starting to wake up to the climate scam

i have lived next to the sea all my life and guess what.......................................................high tide hasnt changed height

the planet is warming....since when? its actually cooled since roman times
yes i know
(09-06-2024, 12:19 PM)jim157 Wrote: the rest of the world is starting to wake up to the climate scam

i have lived next to the sea all my life and guess what.......................................................high tide hasnt changed height

"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"
(09-06-2024, 12:19 PM)jim157 Wrote: the rest of the world is starting to wake up to the climate scam

Actually, no, it hasn't. Warming is underway, ask anyone in the northern hemisphere.

In Roman times we had a fraction of the population, a fraction of the anthropogenic environmental change, and a fraction of the atmospheric pollution...

And a lot less to lose than we have today. But hey, no worries, it isn't this generation that needs to worry. Or act. That'd be our grandchildren.

You got any of those jim?

(09-06-2024, 12:35 PM)harm_less Wrote:

"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

Really it is a choice, with so much science available on every device we have, ignorance is a deliberate choice. Working out why though, that's the interesting bit. I reckon it is a combination of laziness, selfishness, and existential dread.

As for sea levels, I have lived in Auckland on and off for seventy odd years. There used to be frosts here every winter, I went to school cracking ice on puddles, great fun. Never see them these days. We do however see really dangerous floods, and not just at king tides. And we are a city between two harbours with lots of low lying built up areas.

Makes things interesting.
(09-06-2024, 12:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

Actually, no, it hasn't. Warming is underway, ask anyone in the northern hemisphere.

In Roman times we had a fraction of the population, a fraction of the anthropogenic environmental change, and a fraction of the atmospheric pollution...

And a lot less to lose than we have today. But hey, no worries, it isn't this generation that needs to worry. Or act. That'd be our grandchildren.

You got any of those jim?

(09-06-2024, 12:35 PM)harm_less Wrote: "There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

Really it is a choice, with so much science available on every device we have, ignorance is a deliberate choice. Working out why though, that's the interesting bit. I reckon it is a combination of laziness, selfishness, and existential dread.

As for sea levels, I have lived in Auckland on and off for seventy odd years. There used to be frosts here every winter, I went to school cracking ice on puddles, great fun. Never see them these days. We do however see really dangerous floods, and not just at king tides. And we are a city between two harbours with lots of low lying built up areas.

Makes things interesting.

if people are the problem you know what to do.....ease the strain on the planet
yes i know
(09-06-2024, 12:10 PM)harm_less Wrote: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/519...-this-year

The ignorance of Shane Jones and NZF is mind boggling. Climate change deniers, oblivious to the lack of interest in NZ's offshore drilling permits and ignoring the lengthy time line from exploration to production coming on stream.

The intermittency of wind and solar generation methods was recognised by the previous government which was the reason they were investigating the viability of the Lake Onslow pumped hydro scheme. The fact is that solar and onshore wind are the cheapest generation available and can be commissioned very quickly in contrast to throwing investment funds into fossil fuelled methods as the world moves away from burning hydrocarbons.

This coalition government lacks foresight and any understanding of how seriously the rest of the world is starting to take climate change and implementing strategies that fly in the face of that approach is a recipe for loss of trading access into more visionary countries such as much of Europe. NZ's exports are already hobbled due to the extended freight routes we must use to get our produce to market and putting more emissions load onto those exports before they even leave our shores is an idiotic approach.

I'm not so sure its ignorance; I suspect they know full well what the consequences of this are likely to be but as long as there's money to be made, they don't really care about what their descendants might have to deal with in the future.
The ultimate selfishness, really....impossible to comprehend people like that. Dodgy

Mmm hmm - & all those wildfires in the northern hemisphere last summer... Imagination, were they? Rolleyes

https://joint-research-centre.ec.europa....3-09-08_en

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20230...mperatures

https://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/why-...ce-melting
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)