Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golriz Ghahraman interviewed by John Campbell
Brilliant interview which lays bare the stress and mental anguish of Golriz that backgrounds her shoplifting episodes, but not used as any sort of blatant excuse.

In admiration of Golriz for the depths and volume of personal threats she endured before something 'broke', and an insight into the pressures of political life on many of those who choose to represent us as their public duty.
And yet there will still be those who'll say she deserves to go to prison...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Some people get pleasure from seeing the tall poppies smashed down.
(27-06-2024, 03:50 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Some people get pleasure from seeing the tall poppies smashed down.

Especially if that tall poppy happens to be a woman in a position of some power....

Not the nicest side of human nature.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(27-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And yet there will still be those who'll say she deserves to go to prison...

Because she should, I say deport her back to Iran where they can deal with theives better than here.
All she does is play the mental health card, Ive got no time for her.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(29-06-2024, 11:20 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(27-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And yet there will still be those who'll say she deserves to go to prison...

Because she should, I say deport her back to Iran where they can deal with theives better than here.

Iran deals with thieves by amputation?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(29-06-2024, 11:20 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

So you're in favour of torture, then. Dodgy

https://iranwire.com/en/features/126769-...20sentence.

And obviously prefer to ignore anyone's past trauma & mental health.
Or hanging from cranes.

CT, anyone who suggests the way Iran deals with criminals and dissenters should maybe examine their worldview. Some countries seem to revel in the inhumane, which speaks to a section of their populous and reflects the kind of leadership they have.

Which btw, is why Golriz suffers from PTSD. She experienced and witnessed it as a child and then was subject to continued abuse in her role as an MP here in this 'civilised' country.

I would like to see those who delighted in inflicting that abuse - and who continue to dish it out to others - pursued and held to account. Until we do, this country remains unsafe for a lot of us.
(30-06-2024, 10:59 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Or hanging from cranes.

CT, anyone who suggests the way Iran deals with criminals and dissenters should maybe examine their worldview. Some countries seem to revel in the inhumane, which speaks to a section of their populous and reflects the kind of leadership they have.

Which btw, is why Golriz suffers from PTSD. She experienced and witnessed it as a child and then was subject to continued abuse in her role as an MP here in this 'civilised' country.

I would like to see those who delighted in inflicting that abuse - and who continue to dish it out to others - pursued and held to account. Until we do, this country remains unsafe for a lot of us.

That would definitely be worth being retributive about, though perhaps at the same time we might look at preventing such inhumane views from ever taking root by teaching empathy through all school years.
Which would no doubt be strongly opposed by the Nats, since they depend upon it so much when its an election year, with their 'get tough on crime' bollocks.
(30-06-2024, 10:59 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(29-06-2024, 11:20 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Because she should, I say deport her back to Iran where they can deal with theives better than here.

So you're in favour of torture, then. Dodgy

No I'm not, but at least it's a good deterrent, I doubt they have issues with kids doing ram raids.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Strangely enough it isn't a deterrent, if it was they wouldn't have any crime or dissent. The death penalty doesn't stop crime, it just encourages a blase attitude to cruelty. And I say that as someone who thinks the death penalty is a rational solution to some situations.

It just doesn't deter the mad or the wicked.
(02-07-2024, 10:53 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(30-06-2024, 10:59 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: So you're in favour of torture, then. Dodgy

No I'm not, but at least it's a good deterrent, I doubt they have issues with kids doing ram raids.

Other countries use other methods which are far less harsh. And which produce far better results

There's a danger in such retributive punishments; not just that it encourages people who are overly keen to see others suffer for their crimes, but that they not only do not work, they also help create life long criminals. Which, while it may be very useful to the Nats & other right wing parties in an election year isn't something anyone concerned with creating a better society for all of us would want.

Norway is an excellent example; they use a very different system there & as a result now have Europe's lowest rate of recidivism.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013...ike-people
(03-07-2024, 12:31 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(02-07-2024, 10:53 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: No I'm not, but at least it's a good deterrent, I doubt they have issues with kids doing ram raids.

Other countries use other methods which are far less harsh. And which produce far better results

There's a danger in such retributive punishments; not just that it encourages people who are overly keen to see others suffer for their crimes, but that they not only do not work, they also help create life long criminals. Which, while it may be very useful to the Nats & other right wing parties in an election year isn't something anyone concerned with creating a better society for all of us would want.

Norway is an excellent example; they use a very different system there & as a result now have Europe's lowest rate of recidivism.

The right needs lots of crims to demonise, so they can frighten the sheeple into supporting them.
I do have other cameras!
(03-07-2024, 06:18 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(03-07-2024, 12:31 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Other countries use other methods which are far less harsh. And which produce far better results

The right needs lots of crims to demonise, so they can frighten the sheeple into supporting them.

True, that. Which might be why they always go down the 'get tough on crime' road whenever there's an election, so as to ensure a steady supply..or perhaps I'm being overly cynical.