Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rise in benefit sanctions
Hardly surprising given the govt attitude to beneficiaries & of course there are more of them now thanks to govt disestablishing  positions. 

According to CTU director Craig Renney treasurey had forecast 47,000 would lose their jobs but he believes that will be an underestimate, & about a third of those people are likely to end up on a benefit.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35034733...se-more-50
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I think my little run in today was down to a new government directive to staff to be as assiduous about rules as possible. Even if it means irritating clients. I was also asked if I had any money in the bank. I confessed to having $70 stashed...

But that was before I spent $8 on a pound of butter and $9 on a butterflied chook.

I do like those butterflied chooks. Especially at chuck out prices.

The butter though, that was a bit of a shock. But I need it for my scones.
(18-07-2024, 04:10 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think my little run in today was down to a new government directive to staff to be as assiduous about rules as possible. Even if it means irritating clients. I was also asked if I had any money in the bank. I confessed to having $70 stashed...

But that was before I spent $8 on a pound of butter and $9 on a butterflied chook.

I do like those butterflied chooks. Especially at chuck out prices.

The butter though, that was a bit of a shock. But I need it for my scones.

It seems the attitude now is similar to the Paula Bennett/Ruth Richardson/Jenny Shipley view of anyone on a benefit.

I'd like to believe that it might change for the better.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It's going to get worse, unknown idiots voted in the National Party.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I was handed a sheaf of papers which I have just checked. One was a letter full of finger wagging budgetry advice in addition to telling me they were not going to help me pay for the dental treatment but would do a direct payment to 'the supplier'. Weirdness.

Which I translate to mean they don't trust me with the $300 because obviously I am a bad person who cannot be trusted with money.

I wasn't a total fan of the Labour government, but at least under them, there was more respect for those of us who needed to claim the help we are entitled to...
(18-07-2024, 05:21 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was handed a sheaf of papers which I have just checked. One was a letter full of finger wagging budgetry advice in addition to telling me they were not going to help me pay for the dental treatment but would do a direct payment to 'the supplier'. Weirdness.

Which I translate to mean they don't trust me with the $300 because obviously I am a bad person who cannot be trusted with money.

I wasn't a total fan of the Labour government, but at least under them,  there was more respect for those of us who needed to claim the help we are entitled to...

Its their bloody patronising attitude which annoys me. Many years ago I came across it when unemployed; it was a sort of 'talking down' which annoyed me,especially when it was from someone quite a bit younger than I was... Rolleyes
(18-07-2024, 07:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(18-07-2024, 05:21 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was handed a sheaf of papers which I have just checked. One was a letter full of finger wagging budgetry advice in addition to telling me they were not going to help me pay for the dental treatment but would do a direct payment to 'the supplier'. Weirdness.

I wasn't a total fan of the Labour government, but at least under them,  there was more respect for those of us who needed to claim the help we are entitled to...

Its their bloody patronising attitude which annoys me. Many years ago I came across it when unemployed; it was a sort of 'talking down' which annoyed me,especially when it was from someone quite a bit younger than I was... Rolleyes
Louise Upston is continuing with her disingenuous prattle, maintaining that sanctions are there to "support" unemployed people into work.   She continues to repeat her script, which denies that there is any structural unemployment in Aotearoa and also disrespects people who have physical and mental disabilities.
I received more respect and kindness yesterday from the security guards than I got from the system as operated by the Winz staffers. And they were only following their job requirements. The thing that got to me was the dental grant system is an entitlement, but all of a sudden the word 'discretionary' has been added to the mix which undermines that, and opens the door to a power play between applicant and system.

And that is dangerous.
(19-07-2024, 06:15 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I received more respect and kindness yesterday from the security guards than I got from the system as operated by the Winz staffers. And they were only following their job requirements. The thing that got to me was the dental grant system is an entitlement, but all of a sudden the word 'discretionary' has been added to the mix which undermines that, and opens the door to a power play between applicant and system.

And that is dangerous.

It is; especially if a particular 'manager' gets carried away with their bit of power over others.
 I've also heard that some of the managers tend not to bother informing people what they're entitled to, although that was some time back & may have changed.

If it hasn't then it should have; any poor sod going onto a benefit should be fully informed immediately as to what they're entitled to & what rights they have, as well as what conditions they have to meet.

I wonder whether the Nats will reinstate their idea from some years back (possibly the 90's not sure) that everyone on a benefit is clearly a lazy sod & must do some form of voluntary work as a condition of receiving a benefit. It would perhaps satisfy the more vindictive of their supporters.

CAB provides supporters for people who have to visit WINZ, or did so may be worth getting one for any future visits...absolutely appalling, that they need to do so, but if WINZ is heading down that road again it may help.
CAB online has all the details on how to get a photo onto the Gold Card, seems logical enough.