Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sayings & Quotes
“Nature does not hurry yet everythuing is accomplished.”
Lao Tzu

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.”
Lao Tzu
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.”
Lao Tzu

“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
Lao Tzu
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
“Life comes from the earth & life returns to the earth.”
Zhuangzi

“He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals.”
Immanuel Kant

She was beheaded. Guillotined.

“The real damage is done by those millions who want to ‘survive’. The ones who just want to be left in peace. Those who don’t want their little lives disturbed by anything bigger than themselves. Those with no sides and no causes. Those who won’t take measure of their own strength, for fear of antagonizing their own weakness. Those who don’t like to make waves—or enemies. Those for whom freedom, honour, truth, and principles are only literature. Those who live small, mate small, die small. It’s the reductionist approach to life: if you keep it small, you’ll keep it under control. If you don’t make any noise, the bogeyman won’t find you.

But it’s all an illusion, because they die too, those people who roll up their spirits into tiny little balls so as to be safe.

Safe? From what?

Life is always on the edge of death; narrow streets lead to the same place as wide avenues, and a little candle burns itself out just like a flaming torch does.

I choose my own way to burn.”

Sophie Scholl

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (Full film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrbBlXqc1Is&t=5563s
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Never come across her before. But she's right in that those trying to keep quiet, keep the peace, not make waves can do real damage.

“In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry & has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.”
Ernest Hemingway
“It is not who is right but what is right, that is important.”
Thomas Huxley

“Mostly it is the loss which teaches us about the worth of things.”
Arthur Schopenhauer
“Never argue with someone whose TV is bigger than their bookshelf.”
Emilia Clarke

“The talkers are rising above the thinkers.”
Barbara Kingsolver
“You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.”
Robin Williams

“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”
Robert Heinlein
“The fearful seek to serve themselves by mastering the world, while the fearless seek to serve the world by mastering themselves.”
Eric Micha'el Leventhal

“I awoke, only to see that the rest of the world is still asleep.”
Leonardo Da Vinci
“Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt, & poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen.”
Leonardo Da Vinci

“Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.”
Leonardo Da Vinci
“The painter has the universe in his mind & hands.”
Leonardo Da Vinci

“Study without desire spoils the memory, & it retains nothing that it takes in.”
Leonardo Da Vinci
“One can have no smaller or greater mastery than mastery of oneself.”
Leonardo Da Vinci

“The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.”
Leonardo Da Vinci
“People speak sometimes about the bestial cruelty of man, but that is terribly unjust & offensive to beasts, no animal could ever be so cruel as man.”
Fyodor Dostoevsky

“The truth was a mirror in the hand of god. It fell & broke into pieces. Everybody took a piece of it, & they looked at it & thought they had the truth.”
Rumi
“We live in a a world where we have to hide to make love, while violence is practised in broad daylight.”
John Lennon

“A creative life is an amplified life, a happier life, an expanded life, & a hell of a lot more interesting life.”
Elizabeth Gilbert
“These days, people know the price of everything & the value of nothing.”
Oscar Wilde

“Boys & girls should be taught respect for each other's liberty; they should be made to feel that nothing gives one human being rights over another, & that jealousy & possesiveness will kill love.”
Bertrand Russell
But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restored and sorrows end.

Part of Shakespeare Sonnet 30 about male friendship on reflection at the end of a long life.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
“Seeing someone reading a book you love is like seeing a book recommending a person.”
Anon

“You will never forget a person who came to you with a torch in the dark.”
M.Rose
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Joseph Goebbels, the Nazi Minister of Propaganda
1675 letter by Isaac Newton: "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
C.S.Lewis

“Nobody is going to pour the truth into your head. It's something you have to find for yourself.”
Noam Chonsky