Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB won't show content.
Maybe I used the wrong repair program. I used Windows Update Repair version. Anyway, the problem has not been resolved. I will look again tomorrow.
Instead of doing a reset, you can always try a repair install. Do an Image backup 1st, then put in your Windows 11 Media ( it more than likely would be on a USB drive, which may be a problem) ? If you can see the contents, double-click the setup File, and follow instructions. This basically repairs windows and leaves all your data/programs as is.

If you cant use a USB drive, then double click the ISO and it will mount as a Drive, and run it from there.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
As suggested, I have downloaded the Media updater as an ISO. I have burnt it to a DVD and run the Windows 11 Pro install keeping my programs and files. Sad to say my problem has not been resolved. Maybe it might be a program that I have on the PC causing the problem. Last thing to try would be to install the OS without my Programs and files.
do you have a spare HDD? this is one of these situation where I might be inclined to do a clean install on a spare HDD. This will prove beyond a doubt whether it is a hardware/bios issue or a software problem
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
My C: is on a M.2 HDD. How would I disable that - remove it from the PC?

I have noticed in the past that you can get a notice on the screen that allows you to choose how you want open an attachment. Anyone know how to access this? Also is there a way to edit the registry for my problem?
(20-08-2024, 04:39 PM)Bryan Wrote: My C: is on a M.2 HDD. How would I disable that - remove it from the PC?

I have noticed in the past that you can get a notice on the screen that allows you to choose how you want open an attachment. Anyone know how to access this? Also is there a way to edit the registry for my problem?

1. is a problem, you would definitely want to remove it physically.  Maybe in the bios/UEFI it could be disabled?
2. might be thinking of the right click ->  open with menu, to choose the program to open a file
3. possibly, IF it is a setting and not a hardware or Windows fault, and IF a setting actually exists for it.

I think I will just live with the problem. It is easy enough to bypass so it's not a biggy. Thank you king1 and WT for your input, interest and help. I really appreciate it.
another workaround and perhaps an interesting piece of the puzzle would be to try one of the portable file explorer apps such as this

https://explorerplusplus.com/download

Be interesting to see if they work correctly

One way to check if it a program installed ( may work) Restart the computer in Safe mode, this loads just the basics for Windows to run.

prob The EasiestWay to boot into safe mode -- While the computer is running normally, Hold down ( and keep held down) The Shift Key, then while it is down click Start /Restart -- The Screen will boot into recovery mode ( rest is copied as I cant be bothered writing it all out)  Big Grin  After the computer restarts to the Choose an Option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.

Plug in your USB drive - Open it look and see what you got. ( or not).

Edited: 3 options, #2 is above.   How To Boot In Safe Mode In Windows 11 (youtube.com)

if you use method 1, make sure you go back and untick Safe mode option afterwards. ( windows key + R will bring up the run box as well)
Well, I bit the bullet, did a fresh install and the problem has gone away. Now the fun of rebuilding the system. At my age, I had nothing better to do anyway. Many thanks for the help.
Sometimes that's the easiest way to solve the problem, ( As King1 Posted in #24) Learnt that years ago, you can scratch your head for days and get nowhere.

Suggestion-- Once you have the system fully reinstalled and up to date possibly with whatever programs BEFORE you put your data back, make an image with macrium Reflect and keep it safe somewhere, that way if it ever happens again just drop the good image back.
Done that but I find I have too much to reinstall, so I have dropped the original back in. Hopefully it might resolve itself when 24H2 (or whatever they call it) appears later this year. I can use my work-around to satisfy my needs.

Good to know that is caused by a software glitch in my system.
Have you tried running "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"  in Terminal (admin)

Doing that often has fixed a few wierd problems for me
Thank you CliveM. Yes, I have tried that and Sfc /scannow. Both were OK. Having tried a new System download there was no problem. I have not installed my Programs such as Office, Wondershare Uniconverter or Aomei along with a number of other Programs as I found difficulties in the convincing the suppliers that I would not need to repurchase the programs - too much trouble for such a small inconvenience.

What I really would like to know is why this has happened and why we can't find the answer to fix it. I think one of my programs may be to blame but I do not have the inclination to follow it through. Thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it.
Did you try the Safe boot as per post #29 ? Safe mode doesn't load anything apart from the basic Windows.
Yes I did look at post#29 and tried it. However, I could not find a method in Troubleshoot that fitted my problem. The USB just doesn't show its content on the monitor even though it has loaded and can be accessed by clicking on file manager. I'll have another go.
Sorry WT. I got into safe mode, inserted a USB with same outcome ie no data on screen but recognised in file manager.