Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Window Position
I have two programs/apps that open halfway across two monitors.
Don't have this issue with any others.
It's no problem moving them to where I want them, but why does this occur, and how to fix it.

This is on a Windows 11 system.
In the past Had similar, but usually dragging them to the correct monitor sorts it.

What you can try, dont know if this will fix it or not. Open 1 of the programs, make sure it's selected, then press Windows Key + Shift + left or right Arrow, and the program will ( or should) Snap to the left or right depending on what you pressed. Hopefully it will stay put Smile If it works do it to the other as well.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
windows position is usually remembered when you close it, so try opening, move to correct position and then close it. Then try reopening...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
"windows position is usually remembered when you close it, so try opening, move to correct position and then close it. Then try reopening..."

yes, and if that still doesn't work try Press and Hold down Ctrl as you close the program with the X on the RHS top of the appropriate window.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Unfortunately, none of those worked.

The programs in question are:
SDRconnect and ControlDemo2

SDRconnect actually starts in my small LH screen and I have to move it to the larger RH screen.
ControlDemo2 starts half and half.
I have tried reinstalling both.
the other thing I sometimes find then is it could be the shortcut link on the desktop that causes it. Drag a new one over from the all programs list in the start menu, Delete the original shortcut on the desktop if it works

It sounds like the displays could possibly be getting in a twist. It will be something silly thats not quite right.

A couple of questions and suggestions:
1. Do all programs do this, open where they are not meant to or only these two ?
2. Have you made sure the main display is selected as such, AND the monitor setting is set to extended, as well as the box ticked to remember Window locations based on monitor connections?  ( See picture)

To check these in the search type in Display - Multiple displays - check Settings.

"IF" these are all OK, a suggestion. Turn off the computer - disconnect the second monitor - restart, open the programs - force them to open on the main - reboot - see if they stay put. If so, turn off the computer, reconnect the 2nd monitor, go back into the Display setting and check the main monitor is still set as such.

What Happens ???

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Answer to your question 1/
Only these two programs, although only one is opening halfway as explained in post #5

I can confirm settings in your suggestion 2/

I was really hoping your next suggestion would work.
After the reboot with just the main monitor, the program started perfect.
But reverted back when the second was reconnected.
(04-09-2024, 12:54 PM)driftwood Wrote: Answer to your question 1/
Only these two programs, although only one is opening halfway as explained in post #5

I can confirm settings in your suggestion 2/

I was really hoping your next suggestion would work.
After the reboot with just the main monitor, the program started perfect.
But reverted back when the second was reconnected.

try with that box from #2 unticked - it would seem to me the remembering is the problem...

Are the programs open in full screen, or in a smaller window. ??

I used to have a problem many moons ago with one program doing weird things because the smaller monitor had a different resolution, and when opening on the larger monitor, all the internal settings were wrong ( best way to describe it).

My Current setup is 27" main with 24" second.

One other thought ( but I would have thought it would effect all programs) Are you using a graphic card, or the onboard Graphics ? Which ever -- have you installed the actual drivers from the manufacture and not just the ones Microsoft install ??

This Computer - the 2nd monitor wouldn't show until I installed the graphic Drivers from NVidia (only a basic card, but wanted better control for dual monitors)
I'll just concentrate on the ControlDemo2 for now.
That's the one that opens half and half.
It opens in a small window, and I run it as such but do stretch it out a bit.

My small (main) monitor is an Acer AL1917
Secondary is an Asus VG278HV
The onboard graphics are used.

Seeing as we weren't getting anywhere with this, I thought I'd better check all the cables etc.
This system is used mainly for programming and controlling radios and there are many cables.
The secondary monitor has been connected via VGA or DVI or HDMI depending on what I was doing at the time.
I couldn't actually remember which one it was currently using.
So, I've just tried all three, but it makes no difference to the problem.

This does have the HD Intel Graphics installed, but I don't think this would be a driver issue as it only effects the one program.

I have tried it with and without the tick for "Remember window locations etc."