Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABC News Presidential Debate (1:00pm)
TV1

At 1pm today, lunchtime

ABC News Presidential Debate (1:00pm)

If you aren't completely sick of Trump
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I hope it goes well for Kamala Harris.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
This is a controlled debate so they both cannot be on mike at the same time interrupting each other.

It will be a bit more civilized than you might expect.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
i'm sure the fact checkers will be quite busy...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Great to see Harris taking the grown up high ground right from the start by approaching Trump for them to shake hands.

Throughout the 'debate' Harris kept watching Trump often with a bemused smile on her face as he lied and ranted. By contrast Trump's gaze is anywhere BUT at Kamala. I guess that may have been on his minders' advice to avoid him losing his composure completely.

Trump as expected kept ranting about criminal immigrants, including that they were killing and eating residents' pets. The pets thing was denied via fact checking with the mayor of the town/city Trump claimed it happening at. He also admitted that he had met with Putin after he lost the presidency though neither Harris or the adjudicators caught him on this.

All in all Kamala held her own well and Trump demonstrated his mental instability as Kamala challenged his ego effectively.
I am a fan of hers, but this was not her best work. Trump actually showed bursts of sanity. In amongst the other stuff.

I hope there is another one.
Trump - predictable but sharp and aggressive, I knew almost everything he said.

Kamala - slightly too polite and not as dominant as I thought she might be.

I hate Trump but he impressed me. I was confident that Trump was a spent force but after this debate I'm not so sure, I see why people follow him, he is very confident even if wrong. I'm surprised how magisterial he is.
problem is you can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth...

(11-09-2024, 06:32 PM)king1 Wrote: problem is you can't believe a word that comes out of his mouth...
The fact checkers countered a couple of his lies but unfortunately his MAGA cultists just see that in the light of anti Trump conspiracy. November 5th is going to be a real shit storm.
I think his lying is part of his pathology. He doesn't recognise them as lies.
I wonder if he will have the same sort of hissy fit if he loses this election - another insurrection in the making maybe...

(11-09-2024, 06:48 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I think his lying is part of his pathology. He doesn't recognise them as lies.

Yeah, that's the impression you get from seeing him ramble on & making comments which are very obviously not true, & apparently just making it up as he goes. Rolleyes

(11-09-2024, 07:00 PM)king1 Wrote: I wonder if he will have the same sort of hissy fit if he loses this election - another insurrection in the making maybe...

I hope not but think it has to be a strong possibility.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I was expecting Trump to disintegrate more than he did.  I had hopes from time to time, that he would disgrace himself but alas no, it was just the same bizarre nonsense that too many US citizens seem to think is acceptable.  I thought Kamala was  quite mild in the face of his ludicrous assertions, and maybe the US public need to have the ridiculousness pointed out more clearly.
(11-09-2024, 07:31 PM)Olive Wrote: I was expecting Trump to disintegrate more than he did.  I had hopes from time to time, that he would disgrace himself but alas no, it was just the same bizarre nonsense that too many US citizens seem to think is acceptable.  I thought Kamala was  quite mild in the face of his ludicrous assertions, and maybe the US public need to have the ridiculousness pointed out more clearly.

Indeed, it seems that is what's needed - but then, there's no guarantee that some of his followers would accept it. For some, it seems that anything at all is acceptable from him, as bizarre as it might be.
I think Trump handled it well, was not expecting Harris to say she owned a gun though but I guess it's a way for her to warm up more to the right.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(15-09-2024, 12:19 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I think Trump handled it well, was not expecting Harris to say she owned a gun though but I guess it's a way for her to warm up more to the right.

almost as well he handled his last election defeat I would say...

(15-09-2024, 12:19 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I think Trump handled it well, was not expecting Harris to say she owned a gun though but I guess it's a way for her to warm up more to the right.

That would assume that she'd want to 'warm up to the right'.... Rolleyes Big Grin
(15-09-2024, 04:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

That would assume that she'd want to 'warm up to the right'.... Rolleyes Big Grin
Isn't the whole point of her campaign to grab voters from the opposition,  aka trumps camp?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(15-09-2024, 11:20 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(15-09-2024, 04:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That would assume that she'd want to 'warm up to the right'.... Rolleyes Big Grin
Isn't the whole point of her campaign to grab voters from the opposition,  aka trumps camp?

Surely she's more likely to be after those who are undecided.