Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ferries and a coalition in crisis
As previously forecast by many the cracks are starting to appear in our coalition government as opposing minor parties wheel their barrows out with a PM that lacks the political nous or leadership abilities to bring them to heel.

Bringing them to heel is not a concept that works in coalition politics. It assumes a direct power imbalance has to be acknowledged by all parties. And tails have a hard problem accepting they do not control the dog.
(25-09-2024, 03:09 PM)harm_less Wrote: As previously forecast by many the cracks are starting to appear in our coalition government as opposing minor parties wheel their barrows out with a PM that lacks the political nous or leadership abilities to bring them to heel.

"They can't get Winston to agree?"

Oh, really? Surely not...
My how very unexpected... Rolleyes Big Grin

Nicola Willis always reminds me of Ruth Richardson.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Better men than thee Mr Luxon, have rejected Winston for office. Not to mention a woman worth more than all of you put together...
(25-09-2024, 06:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Better men than thee Mr Luxon, have rejected Winston for office. Not to mention a woman worth more than all of you put together...
Luxon can't claim he wasn't warned. Chippy made the folly of coalition with Winston very clear.
Chippy had plenty of past experience.
(25-09-2024, 06:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Better men than thee Mr Luxon, have rejected Winston for office. Not to mention a woman worth more than all of you put together...

Indeed, there is that....you'd think someone with Luxon's experience in business & possible knowledge of politics might have managed to avoid this.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(25-09-2024, 06:42 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:

Indeed, there is that....you'd think someone with Luxon's experience in business & possible knowledge of politics might have managed to avoid this.

"Possible" is doing some pretty heavy lifting there, and therein lies the problem IMO.
(25-09-2024, 03:34 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: harm_less

Nicola Willis always reminds me of Ruth Richardson.

She certainly has the look and the spitefulness.   Lately she seems to have taken media advice, so at Question Time she doesn't screech any more, instead she's adopted a sinister low register, the menace barely held in, creepy and threatening.   I hope she doesn't talk to her children like that.
Defensive, I think many of them are.

Well earned, well deserved.
How the devil did we ever get saddled with this:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-collec...oliticians

incompetence of politicians
Hypocrisy of politicians
Omnishambles of politiians
Embarrasment of politicians
I dont think privatization is going to help the situation given Bluebridge even is now having issues.
An obfuscation of politicians.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Kathryn Ryan's interview with the Mainfreight group managing director Don Braid this morning on the ferries situation is quite illuminating. Confirmation that the government are flying blind regarding their efforts in this.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...ed-ferries