Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
You can never have enough...
Hunnihunni - make sure you include details of your parents, grandparents and so on, as far back as you can go. Future genealogists in your family will thank you.
I do have other cameras!
Good morning. 

That was a wild night of rain, still going.

I started a timeline years ago of significant events in my life ... on paper. Life has got in the way to keep it going ... but the longer time goes on,  the more I'll forget so should get back to it. It would be transferred and continued on the laptop though.  My own mum wrote a short few pages of some of her life's important memories several years before she passed away. We read it out at her Memorial.

I have to venture out and collect my GD before long ... her brothers are with the other GP's on a road trip. It's looking like an inside day. Her long hair (french plaiting) and nail painting will no doubt feature in the days activities, lol!

Had better keep moving.

Stay warm and dry all.
morning ladies Smile Wow, that was some storm we had in the wee hours and the rain is much appreciated.

What a fab idea, OHH Smile And why not exaggerate a 'tad' Tongue lol. I would tell the kids in my class to just write. Don't worry about mistakes until it was time to proof read. Just get the ideas down. Same principle for you Smile My handwriting is also turning to custard, and I think it's because I type more rather than write. I had to fill in a form a while back and the lady said, what lovely handwriting you have 'for a left hander'. A back handed compliment lol. I thought my writing was rubbish compared to what it was but oh well... I've noticed MrK's lovely handwriting is becoming shakier now as well. They do say use it or lose it.

We need petrol and by chance Gull is having 15cents off today. Perfect timing as usually I have either filled the car or the $$$ were spent elsewhere.

This wet weather should give me more stitching time Tongue Am having an internal debate about the dragon's scales. MrK says just pick something and go with it. My idea of raised satin stitch dots is more labour intensive but will give the dragon more depth but then long and short stitch with laid stich on top is quicker.

Happy crafting Smile
Life is a one time offer, use it well 
(7 hours ago)Praktica Wrote: Hunnihunni - make sure you include details of your parents, grandparents and so on, as far back as you can go. Future genealogists in your family will thank you.

That's already done. Years ago I found one of those universal diaries and started entering all the names and relationships on the birthdates of everyone I could find with a blood relationship, plus their partners. Then it got passed around the cousins so they could check and add their families, and just recently it went round again to add new grandchildren - and any 'Ancestry' bits that might have come up. The trick is to now find someone interested in continuing the tradition, not an easy one.

This new project is more about the life stuff, and possibly more about me understanding me and my life. The question of what to include is a very real part of that, every life has its shadows, so that is my first challenge.

That and getting better at typing, lol...
(7 hours ago)kiwimade64 Wrote: morning ladies Smile  Wow, that was some storm we had in the wee hours and the rain is much appreciated.

What a fab idea, OHH Smile  And why not exaggerate a 'tad' Tongue lol. I would tell the kids in my class to just write.  Don't worry about mistakes until it was time to proof read.  Just get the ideas down.  Same principle for you Smile  My handwriting is also turning to custard, and I think it's because I type more rather than write.  I had to fill in a form a while back and the lady said, what lovely handwriting you have 'for a left hander'.  A back handed compliment lol.  I thought my writing was rubbish compared to what it was but oh well...  I've noticed MrK's lovely handwriting is becoming shakier now as well.  They do say use it or lose it.

We need petrol and by chance Gull is having 15cents off today.  Perfect timing as usually I have either filled the car or the $$$ were spent elsewhere.

This wet weather should give me more stitching time Tongue  Am having an internal debate about the dragon's scales.  MrK says just pick something and go with it.  My idea of raised satin stitch dots is more labour intensive but will give the dragon more depth but then long and short stitch with laid stich on top is quicker.

Happy crafting Smile

I have always enjoyed writing - as you can tell from my excessive internet posting! But it was university that bedded that in for me when I got involved in co writing articles with some of the staff. I really enjoyed that, not so much from the publishing aspect but from what I learned about form and construction. I have tried fiction, even enrolled in a creative writing programme, but that was a massive failure for a number of reasons. Did discover a love for haiku though, and still play with that from time to time. It's a good way of polishing up the need for brevity! Which is not a strength...

As for the dragon, for me scales beg for stroking, a bit like the patterns my fingers find in my quilts. Texture is important, so I think you are on the right track with layering to add definition.
Morning everyone

We have had rain but nothing to call it a storm.

I think future generations would love to know the Warts and All stuff Hunni. We all have it. And in future generations they will love hearing about the earlier generations and how we coped without the things they will have.

I love writing, but dont do as much as I used to.. Ill always remember exam time in Form 5.. geography, others wrote 3 pages, I wrote 13.. I did get the top marks tho lol.. When I've had to do reports etc. I usually write then cut out the words not needed lol.

I found a photo on fb last night of the previous baby blankets I've done. So I know how many rows I need to do. Will only do a few rows or one colour a day. I dont want my crocheters rash to come back. Its weird I get it on my right wrist.

Shopping and a bit of crochet and painting today.

Have a fab day all.

Must add, if any of you watch American Pickers. Apparently Frank Fritz has died. His friend put a post up on FB last night. Not sure why. But here never struck me as being old or unwell.

He was only 60.. he had a stroke a couple of years ago. but they havent said how he passed. Mike was with him tho
Big Grin They told me I couldn't, so I did.!! Big Grin
Morning all 
Rained over night  looks like more to come

Creative writing not my forte but technical reports, how to guides, codes of practice and submissions were part of my last job. On the side I have co authored 2 books  every primary school received copies along with teacher notes. The third is a
How to care publication thats still used and accessed on TKI. Being vague don't really want to id myself on public forum.

My morning at warehouse, cat door being installed this afternoon so feline as safe place to get back indoors. The k9 lies in the doorway blocking  devious little B then next thing they are stretched out on our bed together.

Enjoy your day
It's fun to have fun but you have to know how  Big Grin
(Yesterday, 06:49 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The typewriter helps. I can make mistakes and just keep going. It lets me just write without being distracted - the rainy day keeping me in was also a good thing.

I am wary about doing it digitally. All my uni writing is digital, but the stuff that will last is the essays and papers that were printed out or published in hard copy. So that's why I chose the mechanical method. And like you my writing hand is so bad these days. My school teachers would be appalled lol. Cursive it might be but only vaguely...

I will have to think on the honesty thing though.

Maybe if I put an R18 on it, lol.

Good luck with that. I've just completed my second book of memoirs - the first book took about 10 years and the second only 6!

I published through Blurb.com in USA; it was very very expensive but I wanted them to look professional, which they do (hardcover with dust jacket and premium paper).
I have 4 copies of the first and 3 of the second, for my 2 children and 4 siblings to share (I lost 2 siblings in UK last year so only 1 left).

I had so much information collected over the years - diaries, journals, travel journals, photos, and family history, but it took ages sorting it out.
I was honest about some things but not others that will be my secrets forever. 

What motivated me to do it in the first place was realising how little I knew about my parents and grandparents lives, even though I spent some time with my grandma when I was young. So I wanted my descendants to know about my early life especially as I came to NZ from Uk in 1973. First book was about Irish family and my life until I got married at age of 30, second book about my English side of the family and bringing up children in NZ up to the time they left home. Will carry on with a third book but not with Blurb, just WORD.

At least I have lots of photos in them as I knew nobody would want to keep all the albums and boxes of them that I've collected. And they now know something of family history.
I can relax a bit now!
I am encouraged! Some of my motivation is to pass on the family stories. With my grandchildren being so far away they are separated from that family thing where the old ones bore them silly with repeat versions of 'when I was young...' and I have lots of those, having been raised in a multigenerational family. And some of those stories are full of risk and courage, I would like these new young ones to know that their oldies were such brave souls. And that they survived many challenges.

Family pride needs to be passed on, I think.