Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Luxon
Former National Prime Minister Sir John Key is calling MPs asking them to back Chris Luxon as new party leader.

Luxon will be phoning his bromance friend up and asking advice on the country's top matters if he gets the opposition leadership and if National win the election it will be Key who will be telling Luxon what to do not caucus. (My opinion only)
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(27-11-2021, 03:14 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Former National Prime Minister Sir John Key is calling MPs asking them to back Chris Luxon as new party leader.

Luxon will be phoning his bromance friend up and asking advice on the country's top matters if he gets the opposition leadership and if National win the election it will be Key who will be telling Luxon what to do not caucus. (My opinion only)
So a virtual puppet for 'run away John'. You might be on the money there.
I don't think he'd be the right choice - or a very popular one given some of his fairly extreme right wing views.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Luxon

"A right-wing Evangelical Christian opposed to such liberal policies as abortion rights and cannabis legalisation,[3] Christopher Luxon is considered to be on the National Party's most conservative faction, alongside the likes of Simeon Brown. "
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Last thing he needs is to be endorsed by John Key. Key is so arrogant, he still doesn't realise how many of the silent majority can't stand him.
If he gets elected as leader, that JK link will follow him around and make it very difficult for him to be elected, as well as the right wing religious aspect. He's also very inexperienced as far as the dirty business of politics is concerned.
I think Simon Bridges as leader with female deputy and Luxon as Finance minister, as that's what he's good at.
Bridges has earned another go.

Luxon is a coat tailer and hasn't earned any credit.
I just don't much like the idea of Luxon sliding in with little or no history; Simon Bridges is probably the best bet for the time being.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
"Sir John Key has clarified that he was not making calls to National MPs pushing them to vote for Chris Luxon, as earlier reported.

Former PM Key said he had returned two calls to National MPs and made one, but these had not been to support Luxon.

Stuff and other media earlier reported that Key had been calling MPs telling them to support Luxon, after this detail was given by a National MP."

Tui anyone??
It was catastrophic mismanagement from National to roll Bridges in the first instance

Now that Ardern is way more Key than Clark or Lange or heaven forbid an actual Leftist like Kirk we all suffer.

National should be kicked heavily to the curb. ACT/ Seymour have been the genuine opposition for quite a while.
I am always delighted to see Bolger being interviewed. He has improved so much with age...
(28-11-2021, 08:23 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am always delighted to see Bolger being interviewed. He has improved so much with age...
Hasn't he though - & developed both a social conscience & a backbone, too. If only they'd all do that while they're in power. Angel

So - we're supposed to just take the word of John Key then are we? Nah - think I'll pass. Rolleyes
(28-11-2021, 10:21 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: So - we're supposed to just take the word of John Key then are we? Nah - think I'll pass. Rolleyes
Not in his position as ex Prime Minister....
I wish John Key would just stay in his business magnate role. He was a poor politician, and his clone will be too. You cannot lead a nation the way you manage a company. That kind of thinking is old school, and has to go.

Mind you, apart from covid, Ardern is not exactly a leading light either. But at least she is a trained and experienced politician. And in that role, that is the skillset needed.
Its always slightly worrying when people with somewhat extreme religious views of any denomination seek any position which may mean that they have power over others.
I have just read that Luxon has chucked his hat in the ring for the job.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Hmmmm, I think that is a mistake. For both him and the party.
(28-11-2021, 08:48 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: I have just read that Luxon has chucked his hat in the ring for the job.
Like we really need another politician from a corporate background who thinks that selling everything that isn't tied down in our country is the way to solve our problems. And that's apart from Luxon's own extremist views.
I seriously don't think that Luxon would be a good choice for the Nats at this point; he hasn't the experience for one thing & for another he has some bizarre religious beliefs, together with the Neo Liberal idea that money comes above all else.
Including apparently, people.

I think he would be very much a backward step for National.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...-but-unity
(29-11-2021, 09:56 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I seriously don't think that Luxon would be a good choice for the Nats at this point; he hasn't the experience for one thing & for another he has some bizarre religious beliefs, together with the Neo Liberal idea that money comes above all else.
Including apparently, people.

I think he would be very much a backward step for National.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...-but-unity

I agree with you and I don't think they'll win an election with him in charge.
But do the National party have enough forward looking people to see this?
I guess we'll find out today.
And then there's the John Key allergy effect...
Indeed - any protégé of John Key might set off alarms for some. But the last I heard, earlier this morning, Luxon seems likely to get it.
Maybe National really don't want a chance at being in govt next time round.