Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I really hate it when an author
...winds up a story with an ending that doesn't really fit. One that seems to  suggest they simply boxed themself into a corner they could see no way out of. It happens a lot with works of high imagination, the series of what ifs just spiral in upon themselves until they are lost in the darkness. 

But perhaps that is better than the formulaic creation of a book where every part of it is so carefully mapped out we readers can spy the inevitable conclusion long before it takes place. The kind of story where we start yelling advice and warnings at the characters in a vain attempt to save them from the wicked machinations of the puppetmaster behind the pen.

That said, I did enjoy Alistair Reynold's return to Revelation Space, I am just a little frustrated it didn't resolve in the end. But then Revelation Space never did...

'Inhibitor Phase'  Gollanz 2021

https://books.google.co.nz/books/about/I...edir_esc=y
The ones which really annoy me are those which just stop - no proper ending.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Well, then it's up to our imagination...I'm sure we all make a happy ending anyway...like it should've been if we wrote it. But yeah, I recently read a book with to me a wrong (and easy ) ending, such great writing ruined by a hasty finish.
I can't be doing with having to use my imagination, if the ending is one that has left you scratchin' ya noggin.
But books require an imagination surely? The good ones do anyway?

If not, why bother?
I don't bother much these days. My books need pictures these days, hence why I do indulge in Daphne's Diary. A magazine for the awesome people :-))
(05-12-2021, 08:27 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: But books require an imagination surely? The good ones do anyway?

If not, why bother?

Surely they don't require imagination, as you just have to read it? If you wanted to use imagination, you could imagine your own story???!!!
A well written book gives the reader clues but never describes all details. That leaves room for the reader to form a mental picture of the scenario they are reading about, to form a connection to the story, and create a relationship with their impression of the characters. It is why we have emotional reactions to stories, because a good writer lets us live in the story for a while.

And it is why we get cross when the ending isn't right.

Bear in mind, we live most of our lives in our heads. We interpret our reality through our minds, we predict, we remember, we change things around, we imagine. And words are just part of our environment, they are symbols that we interpret and filter in different ways through our emotions and experiences.
So, the book I love isn't going to appeal to everyone, and the one I hate is probably a best seller.

Every single story is coloured by the imagination of the reader, and is changed in the process.
Yes, when we revisit those books of our childhood...they seem pretty simple, but as kids, we filled the pages with magic, added our own detail. And a good author knows this, knows they just need to give us a glimpse...and we'll pad it out with sights, sounds and smell. Sometimes I'm a bit annoyed an author can waft dust into my eyes when no one else is in the room, but it's just a moment with them and me...
I really hate a lot of details that have no sense except describing a room that is of no use to the storyline.
(08-04-2023, 02:31 AM)Raruncomn Wrote: I really hate a lot of details that have no sense except describing a room that is of no use to the storyline.

Interesting, considering you are a total fiction yourself.