Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoghurt
I make my own yoghurt. Sort of. With a very simple electric yoghurt  maker, various methods but recently using Hansell's Greek yoghurt powder. And this past week for some reason I had more than I used, a lot more, and so decided to try to make frozen yoghurt, flavoured with a bit of lemon curd I had in the freezer. Seemed simple enough, yoghurt in the food processor, add sugar to retard freezing, blitz till sugar incorporated, add curd, pulse to combine, pour into container and freeze, occasionally stirring to bring frozen edges into the mix and add more air.

My big mistake was tasting it. I may have created my new addiction. Big Grin
electric you say...cor that sounds flash.
our one you pour hot water up to the line and nek day presto
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I have advanced to frozen yogurt in recycled ice cream containers. Extra thick yogurt whizzed up in my lecky food processor no hot water required, with home grown honey, swirled through with poached plums and blueberries. Minus nasty little sticky label things.

Oh boy. So good...
nom nom

[Image: 500g-boys-1000-x-700.png]
Not yoghurt - but lemon curd...we stopped at a cafe in Roxburgh on our way back from Clyde, this morning...had coffee with sticky lemon slice...lots of lemon curd in that!
I do have other cameras!
Oh it is wonderful stuff. But unfortunately, I have used the last of my stash of the golden loveliness. But the lemon tree has green fruit, so there is hope.

Meantime I am eating my first peaches, and becoming a little paranoid about wandering two legged peach pickers...

I may need to unearth the .22...

(29-01-2022, 05:06 PM)Magoo Wrote: nom nom

Factory made magoo, it just aint the same...  Big Grin
Factory made? Where do you think your packet of yoghurt powder comes from?

My favourite commercial yoghurt is Zany Zeus Greek but it's not readily available in our area. Next best I think is Collective plain Greek.
(29-01-2022, 05:51 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Oh it is wonderful stuff. But unfortunately, I have used the last of my stash of the golden loveliness. But the lemon tree has green fruit, so there is hope.

Meantime I am eating my first peaches, and becoming a little paranoid about wandering two legged peach pickers...

I may need to unearth the .22...

(29-01-2022, 05:06 PM)Magoo Wrote: nom nom

Factory made magoo, it just aint the same...  Big Grin
thats what the wife tells me, she makes her own cos shes diabetic type 1 and the processed all have sugar.
it doesnt compare to that stuff tho, that be the business right up there ^^^^^^^
(29-01-2022, 06:08 PM)Olive Wrote: Factory made?  Where do you think your packet of yoghurt powder comes from?

My favourite commercial yoghurt is Zany Zeus Greek but it's not readily available in our area.  Next best I think is Collective plain Greek.
Yeah but I stir it!   Big Grin

I do buy the Greek Hansells one though and drain the results so it is extra thick. And I did use some of the first lot together with the whey to start a second batch using some full cream milk powder someone gave me, and that worked just as well as the powder.
It certainly tastes better than using that powder to make the milk for my tea. Weird the way we get used to skinny milk over the years...
Mum eats a LOT of yoghurt so I looked into this.
I bought one of those wee pots - keeps the temp at the right level but manual otherwise.
I looked at easiyo etc but nah, not especially cheap and cheap is my point.
So after a few practices this is now what I do.
Make up the milk using milk powder, slightly stronger than the pack says.
Take a spoonful (no more) of the old plain yoghurt to use as the starter (First batch I did I used a commercial starter powder)
Let it sit 6 -8 hrs. Check, it should be all wobbly and slightly come away from the side.
Put in fridge and let it cool. Add fruit and mix.
Perfect. If you want it really thick, drain off any whey before you put in fridge.
It works out to 99c a litre (not counting fruit)
I do grow passionfruit, strawberries and cherries but have been using tinned fruit mainly as I don't have ready in my garden yet.
Lemon, I made some curd, mum likes lemon so used that with our lemons off the tree.
Mmmm, I am lazy though. And I make my daily milk up from skim milk powder into a glass bottle so rather like the cheats way the Hansells powder lets me use. And I buy it when it is on special, two for four dollars type days. No idea how that works out but it is way cheaper than buying a pot.

But I do miss those expensive concoctions off the chiller shelf (sugar heaven?)

Also, I do the double strain thing and make yoghurt cheese, pour in some chili sauce and ohhh boy...