Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tongan volcano eruption and tsunami
It certainly looks very life threatening and I guess people were told to get the hell out of there and I know I would, but looking on the news you see all these people going down to the waters edge with cellphones to take pictures and videos instead of high tailing it to safety .... crazy.

What would you do, would you stay and take pictures or would you try and save your life?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Not much high ground in Tonga, so I'd stand on someone's shoulders - I'm sure they would put my life ahead of theirs. A pyramid of bodies would be more stable.

I'm not there, I would make my decisions on the ground, not remotely watching TV of other people who are there.
(16-01-2022, 06:27 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Not much high ground in Tonga, so I'd stand on someone's shoulders - I'm sure they would put my life ahead of theirs. A pyramid of bodies would be more stable.

I'm not there, I would make my decisions on the ground, not remotely watching TV of other people who are there.
Well I have never been to Tonga so I dont know if there is much high ground or not but would it not be wise to try and get inland as much as possible, and Im sure anyone watching TV would wonder what the fuck are they doing.
While that wasn't a high wave it sure wrecked havoc. And considering how strong the rips would've been, nope I'd've been watching it on tv.

From very far away.
(16-01-2022, 07:24 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Im sure anyone watching TV would wonder what the fuck are they doing.

That's the problem with watching TV, you are looking at the view of the cameraman without a broader picture of what's going on. If you were there you would know - but you aren't there and don't have a clue what's going on apart from what you are seeing on TV.
Best thing to do is go out to sea a bit in a boat. But Tongatapu is completely flat so no where to go.
Moving to higher ground makes sense, you could film it from there to some extent.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
With luck this will awaken minds to the implications of the sea level rises that will come with climate change. The reality is nations are going to drown and we need to start working with that challenge now.

Banning single use plastic bags will not stop that happening.
(17-01-2022, 10:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: With luck this will awaken minds to the implications of the sea level rises that will come with climate change. The reality is nations are going to drown and we need to start working with that challenge now.

That would make sense. Whether or not it happens is another thing.

The world is a weird place. And humans are crazy. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(16-01-2022, 05:31 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: It certainly looks very life threatening and I guess people were told to get the hell out of there and I know I would, but looking on the news you see all these people going down to the waters edge with cellphones to take pictures and videos instead of high tailing it to safety .... crazy.

What would you do, would you stay and take pictures or would you try and save your life?

Unfortunately it's what people do. Yesterday I looked at some of the web cams where our CD had told people to keep away from the beaches. There were people walking on the beach track and in the water there were plenty of kite surfers, plus a clear picture showing the water up into the sand dune plants and a small dog looking at it. People think they are safe because the water didn't come further, but what if there was a rogue wave? What if the tsunami wave they are looking at isn't yet the "big" one? The Tongan people in the footage we saw are very lucky that it wasn't a whole lot worse.

(17-01-2022, 10:43 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: With luck this will awaken minds to the implications of the sea level rises that will come with climate change. The reality is nations are going to drown and we need to start working with that challenge now.

You are right on that one. The first thing we need to do is stop building new houses that will be threatened by natural events in the next few years. We understand the risks of sea level, tsunami, liquefaction, etc., but still build on flood plains.
Once again it will be the people of impoverished nations who suffer, and the wealthy nations who will provide aid. Surely, sensible action now is a better economic decision than sending in emergency aid when disaster takes hold.
(17-01-2022, 11:07 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Once again it will be the people of impoverished nations who suffer, and the wealthy nations who will provide aid. Surely, sensible action now is a better economic decision than sending in emergency aid when disaster takes hold.
And doing something now would perhaps cost less than waiting for each disaster & then dishing out funds to help.

Moving buildings from low lying areas would make a good start, as would a ban on vegetation too close to houses in areas prone to fires. It will of course cost money but its unlikely anyone will die due to that being done; we know from experience that some almost certainly will in flooding or fire.
Buildings in low lying areas need to be built on floats so when there is flooding, it is not a problem.

Same thing happened when there was going to be a Tsunami in Christchurch a long time ago, everyone went down to the beach to have a look.
That would make sense too, as long as they're very well tethered & can't float out to sea.
At least some closure for family

Tonga tsunami: Body of Briton Angela Glover found, says brother - BBC News

RIP Angela, great work in your love for those that are suffering.
Tethered, tygertung? Like boats in a harbour you mean?

That'd be interesting.
(18-01-2022, 08:29 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Tethered, tygertung? Like boats in a harbour you mean?

That'd be interesting.

Have posts in corners and have the houses moored to the posts. Could probably actually have rings, although would need to stop the bumping which might be annoying when one is trying to sleep. Have dingy to get around instead of car.
(18-01-2022, 05:17 AM)jackford Wrote: At least some closure for family

Tonga tsunami: Body of Briton Angela Glover found, says brother - BBC News

RIP Angela, great work in your love for those that are suffering.

I agree at least closure, she was doing something that she loved. R.I.P.
(18-01-2022, 09:01 AM)TygerTung Wrote:
(18-01-2022, 08:29 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Tethered, tygertung? Like boats in a harbour you mean?

That'd be interesting.

Have posts in corners and have the houses moored to the posts. Could probably actually have rings, although would need to stop the bumping which might be annoying when one is trying to sleep. Have dingy to get around instead of car.
You did see what happened to those boats at Tutukaka?

Imagine that with houses.
(18-01-2022, 09:58 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(18-01-2022, 09:01 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Have posts in corners and have the houses moored to the posts. Could probably actually have rings, although would need to stop the bumping which might be annoying when one is trying to sleep. Have dingy to get around instead of car.
You did see what happened to those boats at Tutukaka?

Imagine that with houses.
Excellent point... Angel Big Grin