Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Neil Young - good bloke.
Its always heartening to see a fellow Scorpio take a stand against wrong, the more so since he didn't have to do so. He could have simply ignored it, but had the guts to speak against idiocy.
Bloody good for him. Smile

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/j...nformation

"Neil Young has demanded that his music be removed from Spotify due to vaccine misinformation spread by podcaster Joe Rogan on the streaming service, saying: “They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

In an open letter to his manager and record label that was posted to his website and later taken down, Young wrote: “I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines – potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them. Please act on this immediately today and keep me informed of the time schedule.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
He's got an electric car - the Lincvolt. 

[Image: NeilYoung-SSU-083013.jpg]
Spotify don't seem to share the OP's view it seems: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in...-ultimatum
(27-01-2022, 10:16 AM)harm_less Wrote: Spotify don't seem to share the OP's view it seems: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in...-ultimatum
And yet it seems they do, & are removing his music. From the link:

"Spotify is removing Neil Young’s music after the musician gave the streaming service an ultimatum, saying it could not provide a platform to both him and Joe Rogan due to the podcast host’s “fake information” on COVID-19 vaccines.
“I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform. They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young. Not both,” Young wrote in a letter earlier this week to his record label and management team.
“I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines — potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them," the 76-year-old “Rockin’ in the Free World” singer said of comments made by the controversial podcast host on his show streamed by Spotify, “The Joe Rogan Experience.”
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
neil could use a haircut
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(27-01-2022, 10:19 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(27-01-2022, 10:16 AM)harm_less Wrote: Spotify don't seem to share the OP's view it seems: https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in...-ultimatum
And yet it seems they do, & are removing his music. From the link:

"Spotify is removing Neil Young’s music after the musician gave the streaming service an ultimatum, saying it could not provide a platform to both him and Joe Rogan due to the podcast host’s “fake information” on COVID-19 vaccines.
“I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform. They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young. Not both,” Young wrote in a letter earlier this week to his record label and management team.
“I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines — potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them," the 76-year-old “Rockin’ in the Free World” singer said of comments made by the controversial podcast host on his show streamed by Spotify, “The Joe Rogan Experience.”
My miswording to blame. Spotify don't share Neil's dismissal of Rogan's postings. All a case of going with the $$$ on Spotify's part. Not surprising I suppose Rolleyes
Yep, Spotify are there to make money, not apparently too bothered about misinformation.

I read Neil Young's book, Waging heavy peace a while ago & really enjoyed it.

https://www.bookdepository.com/Waging-He...7VEALw_wcB
This might backfire on Spotify, I don't think it will take much for other performers to take the same position knowing someone like Neil Young has already. From what I can gather they don't actually get an awful lot of money from Spotify...

Personally I think it is a pretty dumb commercial decision on their behalf, supporting a well known antivaxxer...
Nice wee write up on why - 100 million reasons apparently
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...nformation
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Nothing much good comes out of a society that dictates the only acceptable truth and suppresses/outlaws heresy (aka disinformation). If you look back through history, societies that valued free and open exchange of ideas are way more likely to produce greater advances in science, literature, technology etc.

And the term "anti-vaxxer" is a very anti-science term as it is now applied to absolutely anyone that doesn't have 100% blind faith in "The Science" (capitalisation deliberate).
(28-01-2022, 08:15 AM)dken31 Wrote: Nothing much good comes out of a society that dictates the only acceptable truth and suppresses/outlaws heresy (aka disinformation). If you look back through history, societies that valued free and open exchange of ideas are way more likely to produce greater advances in science, literature, technology etc.

And the term "anti-vaxxer" is a very anti-science term as it is now applied to absolutely anyone that doesn't have 100% blind faith in "The Science" (capitalisation deliberate).
i disagree. an antivaxxer is someone who lobbies others not to vaccinate.
its an anti science term because antivaxxers 'science' comes from people like rogan. antivax and science are mutually exclusive concepts.
its got bugger all to suppression, and plenty to do with property rights.
mr young may do what he wishes with his music catalogue. as spotify can do as they wish on their platform.
if i used spotify i'd jump too. scurrilous money grubbing weaklings.
he is making an ethical choice. far more ethical and moral than anything an antivaxxer could fantasize.

neils a much nicer guy than me.
i want to kick the snot out of rogan, neil just doesnt want to be in the same room as him.
Another good reason for me to not have spotify.
(28-01-2022, 08:15 AM)dken31 Wrote: Nothing much good comes out of a society that dictates the only acceptable truth and suppresses/outlaws heresy (aka disinformation). If you look back through history, societies that valued free and open exchange of ideas are way more likely to produce greater advances in science, literature, technology etc.

In the middle of a global pandemic, with 1000's dying every day, I'm OK with them suppressing some idiot anti-vaxxer propagating misinformation to millions - if it saves one life it will be worth the trade off ...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
no one is suppressing mr rogans right to free speech.
if he wants to start his own media platform then go for it
if the nearest he can get is standing on an upside down milk crate outside the local bakery
no one is stopping that either. print some flyers joe.
i see no suppression of rights here.

(28-01-2022, 08:31 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Another good reason for me to not have spotify.
you tube premium is much better. same aural catalogue with vids as well.
also allows you to navigate the app while listening and allows you to download your playlist to listen to offline.
I prefer vinyl. Blame my husband's conditioning. He hand built hi fi systems and educated me on sound quality. Modern media just cannot match it.

I prefer Neil Young having the option to tell Spotify to remove his music if it continues to host the anti vaxxer; & he wasn't obliged to do that. He could simply have said nothing but he clearly has sufficient social conscience to be deeply concerned by the misinformation drivel constantly coming from anti vaxxers, & to not want to be associated with it in any way.

Rogan is free to continue spreading his nonsense; eventually I think such warped views will be seen for the unadulterated twaddle, bordering on hysteria, that they are. Dodgy
I'm definitely with you on it being good that Neil Young has the option to tell Spotify that it is his music or Rogan's podcasts. And I also admire Young's standing up for something he believes in and being willing to pay the financial price of sticking to his principles (he'll be more than fine with the $200M he already has, however this decision will likely cost him $millions).
(28-01-2022, 01:47 PM)dken31 Wrote: I'm definitely with you on it being good that Neil Young has the option to tell Spotify that it is his music or Rogan's podcasts.  And I also admire Young's standing up for something he believes in and being willing to pay the financial price of sticking to his principles (he'll be more than fine with the $200M he already has, however this decision will likely cost him $millions).
Indeed - & that underlines his sincerity; the man clearly has ethics. He could have just kept schtum, but chose to speak out.
I read Waging Peace too, as rambling and disjointed in print as verbally, and in his music too. He certainly has ethics, and I am right there with him. Love his Lincvolt - not some dinky little EV to make the Greenies happy, it's an EV in grand style.

Neil Young at Western Springs - Holy Shit, what a night that was !

(28-01-2022, 04:40 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I read Waging Peace too, as rambling and disjointed in print as verbally, and in his music too. He certainly has ethics, and I am right there with him. Love his Lincvolt - not some dinky little EV to make the Greenies happy, it's an EV in grand style.

Neil Young at Western Springs - Holy Shit, what a night that was !
I really loved the book, & I like his music, never seen him live though. Smile