Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inflation jumps to almost 6 %
we've had two shiney new motorways built in CHCH, bu that was from money allocated after the earthquakes.

What's the big deal about needing some infrastructure built from the Covid fund anyway? Investing in your people, maybe making sure the population don't starve isn't enough? keeping jobs open wasn't a priority?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(28-01-2022, 07:30 AM)king1 Wrote: we've had two shiney new motorways built in CHCH, bu that was from money allocated after the earthquakes.

What's the big deal about needing some infrastructure built from the Covid fund anyway? Investing in your people, maybe making sure the population don't starve isn't enough? keeping jobs open wasn't a priority?
Never said that however of the 100 billion spent in the last 4 years only a small fraction went to the wage and business subsidies. What has the rest produced?

Oh that's right - massive debt and spiraling inflation with virtually nothing tangible to show for it.

BtW your shiny new motorways in ChCh were built by National.  Like Transmission Gully was here in Wellington (finally though the project massively mismanaged by Labour) and the Cambridge bypass, the western Bay Link, the extension of the Waikato expressway.  All roads of National significance announced, planned, built or started under National. 

Labour seem to only manage the announcement part.

And now 4 plus years  on we have an announcement about the Auckland light rail that was already ment to have the first part completed by 2020.  Balloning from $7billion to $14.6 billion which will actually be $30 billion.
(28-01-2022, 08:43 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(28-01-2022, 07:30 AM)king1 Wrote: we've had two shiney new motorways built in CHCH, bu that was from money allocated after the earthquakes.

Never said that however of the 100 billion spent in the last 4 years only a small fraction went to the wage and business subsidies. What has the rest produced?

Oh that's right - massive debt and spiraling inflation with virtually nothing tangible to show for it.

BtW your shiny new motorways in ChCh were built by National.  Like Transmission Gully was here in Wellington (finally though the project massively mismanaged by Labour) and the Cambridge bypass, the western Bay Link, the extension of the Waikato expressway.  All roads of National significance announced, planned, built or started under National. 

And now 4 plus years  on we have an announcement about the Auckland light rail that was already ment to have the first part completed by 2020.  Balloning from $7billion to $14.6 billion which will actually be $30 billion.
Well if we're going to be like that, those motorways have been planned for the last 30-40 years, didn't matter which political party was in at the time to 'announce'  and signed off on it, it just needed the right set of circumstances (earthquake) requiring a big spend up...

and inflation was going to happen anyway, well predicted, happening everywhere, but let's blame labour for causing it...

...while enjoying some of the best covid management strategies the world has produced...
Tellingly, most of the experts aren't too bothered by the number, and that's the reason why it didn't get a mention until after the ad break on the TV3 news last night. Not even the scaremongering reporters could get that excited by it.

Inflation is a funny thing. A little is good, too much of it is bad, and not enough of it is bad also (except when John Key was in charge and that meant it was good even though the economy was stagnant, but we won't talk about that...)
And it is about time savers got a better return on their piggy banks...
(28-01-2022, 08:52 AM)king1 Wrote:
(28-01-2022, 08:43 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Never said that however of the 100 billion spent in the last 4 years only a small fraction went to the wage and business subsidies. What has the rest produced?

Well if we're going to be like that, those motorways have been planned for the last 30-40 years, didn't matter which political party was in at the time to 'announce'  and signed off on it, it just needed the right set of circumstances (earthquake) requiring a big spend up...
Yes many roads are planned but I the end it comes down to who actually funds them and builds them.  There were several new roads set to begin under National then scrapped under Labour and to be resurrected under the guise of shovel ready projects.  How many have seen a single shovel break ground?
shovel ready
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(28-01-2022, 09:36 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And it is about time savers got a better return on their piggy banks...
And how do you figure that will happen with interest rates at 3.5 % but inflation at 6%?

Then let's look at the other side - higher borrowing rates combined with increasing living costs.

(28-01-2022, 09:56 AM)Magoo Wrote: shovel ready
The only shovel they needed was the one to dig through all the bullshit.  They certainly had that shovel ready.

(28-01-2022, 08:54 AM)king1 Wrote: and inflation was going to happen anyway, well predicted, happening everywhere, but let's blame labour for causing it...
That could well be the case but what they did certainly didn't help.
Interest rate changes are a consequence of inflation, or the lack thereof.
(28-01-2022, 11:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Interest rate changes are a consequence of inflation, or the lack thereof.
Yes.  What is your point?
i cant remember
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I would like the term deposit interest rates to go up so I can take money out of Kiwisaver which is losing money very quickly and put it in term deposits for 12 months at least I would get a return back.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(28-01-2022, 07:54 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: I would like the term deposit interest rates to go up so I can take money out of Kiwisaver which is losing money very quickly and put it in term deposits for 12 months at least I would get a return back.
Unless your TD was earning 10 % not much point.  I suggest taking it all out and investing in canned goods and shotguns.