Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Charlotte Bellis
As much as I admire Ms Bellis for doing what she does ("attractive journalist in war-torn country"), she's starting to grind my gears.

She leaves NZ multiple times to ply her trade overseas. Goes to Afghanistan and stays there despite multiple warnings that "Hey, this place might not be safe". She gets worldwide fame for being a mysterious blonde woman that dared to ask a question at a press conference. Gets knocked up by a Belgian and desperately tries to come home except MIQ gets in the way. Whinges publicly, and says how it's unsafe for her to stay in Afghanistan. Government says try applying in a different category for when it's unsafe to stay in a country, and and now she reckons it would be insincere to do that because Afghanistan have been nice to her.

Lady, you can't keep swapping horses in the home straight. Pick one.
I don't know what her reputation as a journalist is, but to me she comes across more like an 'influencer', with all the self-promotion, half-truths and narcissism that goes with that.

Do we know if she has made a proper application yet?
I think the sensible thing is to just get her out of there & back to NZ; quickly.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(31-01-2022, 09:06 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: As much as I admire Ms Bellis for doing what she does ("attractive journalist in war-torn country"), she's starting to grind my gears.

She leaves NZ multiple times to ply her trade overseas. Goes to Afghanistan and stays there despite multiple warnings that "Hey, this place might not be safe". She gets worldwide fame for being a mysterious blonde woman that dared to ask a question at a press conference. Gets knocked up by a Belgian and desperately tries to come home except MIQ gets in the way. Whinges publicly, and says how it's unsafe for her to stay in Afghanistan. Government says try applying in a different category for when it's unsafe to stay in a country, and and now she reckons it would be insincere to do that because Afghanistan have been nice to her.

Don't let the truth get in the way of your wee derogatory rant will you.
As far as I am aware she left NZ once, back in 2015 after being made redundant by the NZ media and has worked for foreign media since. She didn't get "knocked up" . She fell pregnant to her long time partner, despite having been told years ago that she was incapable of conceiving (not that it is anyone's business). How would you like someone to talk about your daughter in that way?
(31-01-2022, 12:46 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote:
(31-01-2022, 09:06 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: As much as I admire Ms Bellis for doing what she does ("attractive journalist in war-torn country"), she's starting to grind my gears.

Don't let the truth get in the way of your wee derogatory rant will you.
As far as I am aware she left NZ once, back in 2015 after being made redundant by the NZ media and has worked for foreign media since. She didn't get "knocked up" . She fell pregnant to her long time partner, despite having been told years ago that she was incapable of conceiving (not that it is anyone's business). How would you like someone to talk about your daughter in that way?
Well said. Smile

I'd like to see Kiwis overseas who want to come home helped to do so, ( certainly more than they presently are) with priority given to pregnant women & families with small children.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(31-01-2022, 12:46 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Don't let the truth get in the way of your wee derogatory rant will you.

1) Knock up (phrasal verb): make a woman pregnant

2) If her inability to conceive isn't anyone's business, why is she telling people? And more importantly, why are you telling us that?

3) I can't have children, so talking about "my daughter" is disrespectful to say the least...

She's playing the situation for all its worth. Kudos to her, but she needs to not over-egg it.
(31-01-2022, 01:38 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote:
(31-01-2022, 12:46 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Don't let the truth get in the way of your wee derogatory rant will you.

1) Knock up (phrasal verb): make a woman pregnant

2) If her inability to conceive isn't anyone's business, why is she telling people? And more importantly, why are you telling us that?

3) I can't have children, so talking about "my daughter" is disrespectful to say the least...

She's playing the situation for all its worth. Kudos to her, but she needs to not over-egg it.

The term 'knocked up' is usually used as a derogatory term.
"fell pregnant" is pretty derogatory too - implies that the woman had no say in it.
when i see someone white wearing a camera in afghanistan or syria or the gaza strip
i always wonder who the fuck is your travel agent?
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(31-01-2022, 02:49 PM)Olive Wrote: "fell pregnant" is pretty derogatory too - implies that the woman had no say in it.
Yeah - it always makes it sound accidental! Big Grin
(31-01-2022, 02:49 PM)Olive Wrote: "fell pregnant" is pretty derogatory too - implies that the woman had no say in it.

It's funny how people treat words differently. To me, "fell pregnant" seems fine. To others, it's problematic. Not sure what phrasal verb in the past tense I should be using to describe someone getting pregnant. They all sound similar? Became, got, etc.

Guide me.

Back to the matter at hand, unsurprisingly, I see that Chris "First Class Cretin" Luxon is now saying that all pregnant woman should be able to skip MIQ. It's a no-brainer, apparently.

Anyone care to spot the fairly obvious flaw to this cunning plan of his? Aside from the fact that he seemingly is now behind the idea of MIQ, do we really want people getting pregnant (or, ahem, pretending to get pregnant) just so they can quickly enter the country? That feels like a bad idea to me, but what would I know...
We need more babies here, bring her home. After all, if we can give billionaires and djs a sure MIQ place why not a pregnant Mum? After all, two for the price of one...
(31-01-2022, 05:23 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote:

It's funny how people treat words differently. To me, "fell pregnant" seems fine. To others, it's problematic. Not sure what phrasal verb in the past tense I should be using to describe someone getting pregnant. They all sound similar? Became, got, etc.

Guide me.

Became pregnant, conceived: neutral and factual.
(31-01-2022, 05:54 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We need more babies here, bring her home. After all, if we can give billionaires and djs a sure MIQ place why not a pregnant Mum? After all, two for the price of one...
Aha - hence the term 'with child'... Angel Big Grin
i've always been partial to "up the duff" Wink
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
"A bun in the oven" has a nice homely feel about it.
I like 'fell pregnant'. It kind of implies an accident...
(31-01-2022, 06:17 PM)Olive Wrote: Became pregnant, conceived: neutral and factual.

Hmm, a little dry for my flowery tastes.

Of course, if something like "fell silent" is fine, then "fell pregnant" must be fine also. That's how language works.

(I might be knowingly winking at the screen... but you'll never know, muhaha)
the word pregnant doesnt need a qualifying adjective or adverb
a decent editor would have culled it as wasted word
one is pregnant, whether you 'fell', 'discovered' or 'got' pregnant is unnecessary

the sentence read she fell pregnant.
should have started thusly
'Pregnant to her long-time partner..'
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye

She's not saying "This place is unsafe" as she has been guaranteed safe passage by the Taliban and that's not the issue. The issue is that she's pregnant and is not sure about the medical facilities there for the birth of her baby if something goes wrong - I would feel the same. Obviously NZ would be a better bet for the birth of her baby.