Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Game on" says Luxon
It always sounds slightly silly when politicians try to sound trendy, hip, modern or whatever they're trying to convey.
Some interesting comments but coming from someone with his perspective - e.g. business background - some of it just doesn't ring true.

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-nat...hfmIAO9yOw

"Luxon said he'd recently visited a few other towns where people outlined concerns.
"Lots of New Zealand's doing it tough."
Hardworking Kiwis were suffering from a rising cost of living outstripping wage growth, Luxon said in his speech today.
"But it's not enough to just oppose," he said.
He said he wanted to focus on outcomes and to allow every person to reach the "Kiwi dream".

Not really things with which his party has bothered to concern itself with in the past, though I think they may have made similar comments previously. In an election year, usually.

"Luxon said centre-right parties worldwide faced a perception problem, as too many voters thought such parties were not compassionate.

"We care deeply about people. That's why we're here."

Really, Christopher? Only its just a wee bit difficult for many of us to actually believe that one.  Rolleyes Rolleyes Big Grin

You might want to look at the past conduct of your party when in govt - with particular reference to people such as Jenny Shipley & Ruth Richardson, &  things such as 'The mother of all budgets' & in particular, the effects of that particular piece of cruelty. There was good reason for the nicknames of Ruthless & Jennycide, & when even a past leader of National, Jim Bolger, has developed sufficient conscience to speak against what was done then by both Labour & National in imposing Neo Liberalism on this country, then it might be time for a different way.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Quote:"We care deeply about people. That's why we're here."

yeah heard that one on the radio this morning, just about drove into a lamp post from laughing so hard
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Outcomes, and objectives - I think he read that somewhere...I know I did. A box tickers form, it doesn't apply to real life. I'm still waiting for the Simon Bridges bridges....
better keep this real
the year of delivery
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I suspect that 'the year of delivery' may just mean something different to politicians..Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(31-01-2022, 04:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I suspect that 'the year of delivery' may just mean something different to politicians..Smile
10,000 houses

(31-01-2022, 02:29 PM)king1 Wrote:
Quote:"We care deeply about people. That's why we're here."

yeah heard that one on the radio this morning, just about drove into a lamp post from laughing so hard
this is where they lack mongrel
pithy adages and hackneyed honey speak have little substance.
better to come out swinging with some decent policy and firebrand politics
(31-01-2022, 04:17 PM)Magoo Wrote: 10,000 houses

It was only 10 Bridges - surely that's much easier than 10,000 houses ?
(31-01-2022, 04:31 PM)Zurdo Wrote:
(31-01-2022, 04:17 PM)Magoo Wrote: 10,000 houses

It was only 10 Bridges - surely that's much easier than 10,000 houses ?
But 10 bridges simply aren't enough for all those poor homeless people to live under.... Rolleyes
no, i think simon was the only bridges but check on that.
This morning he said that NSW had approved 50 RATS. Referring to https://www.tga.gov.au/covid-19-rapid-an...-australia there are 23.
Luxon also suggested that people wouldn't baulk at paying $15 for a RAT just so they can visit a grandparent. He's quite a bit out of touch with ordinary Kiwis, isn't he?
(02-02-2022, 05:29 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Luxon also suggested that people wouldn't baulk at paying $15 for a RAT just so they can visit a grandparent. He's quite a bit out of touch with ordinary Kiwis, isn't he?
I'd prescribe 6 months over Winter surviving on the lowest wage or benefit, with no other financial help. That might give him a few clues - or not, of course. Angel Big Grin
(02-02-2022, 05:50 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 05:29 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Luxon also suggested that people wouldn't baulk at paying $15 for a RAT just so they can visit a grandparent. He's quite a bit out of touch with ordinary Kiwis, isn't he?
I'd prescribe 6 months over Winter surviving on the lowest wage or benefit, with no other financial help. That might give him a few clues - or not, of course. Angel Big Grin
He would just park himself in one of his 7 houses.
I do have other cameras!
(02-02-2022, 05:55 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 05:50 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'd prescribe 6 months over Winter surviving on the lowest wage or benefit, with no other financial help. That might give him a few clues - or not, of course. Angel Big Grin
He would just park himself in one of his 7 houses.
No, too easy. Let him live  low income, high rent for a while - a wee taste of the reality for many voters.
At the end of the day it comes down to ex CEO of Air New Zealamd vs Fish and Chip girl - no brainer!
(21-02-2022, 01:48 AM)mike Wrote: At the end of the day it comes down to ex CEO of Air New Zealamd vs Fish and Chip girl - no brainer!
We have a retread. Who was banned recently?
I do have other cameras!
(21-02-2022, 01:48 AM)mike Wrote: At the end of the day it comes down to ex CEO of Air New Zealamd vs Fish and Chip girl - no brainer!
False equivalence.   What did Luxon do for a job in his school holidays, if anything?
Lay off the fish and chip thing. Lots of us worked fast food jobs as young people, doesn't mean we get lumbered with that label for life.
Have a little respect for a career achievement few manage to win...
Its always interesting when someone refers to the PM's stint in a fish & chip shop while ignoring her other jobs; almost as though they see working in a fish & chip shop as being somehow beneath them in some mysterious way.
Clearly those making such comments are presumably all the heads of large successful businesses....or something.
personally I think it's a bit naff even having a discussion about her work history and background after the majority of us voted her and her party in...  Time for that was before the last election, and at the next election...

Mind you, a lot has changed since then...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup