Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Labour internal polling must be shockingly bad
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics...pp-android

First an admission this weekend by Mahuta that the public don't understand or back the 3 waters proposal and now Ardern say ing they will  "contemplate" a reduction on excise tax on petrol.

Funny how they haven't leaked their own internal polling for a while now.
I doubt internal polling is worth the back of the envelope it is written on, no matter who does it.
these labour elite have their heads in the sand regarding the publics appetite for this stuff, or are so out of touch with their constituents as to be flippantly disregarding their views.
this will come at great cost.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(14-03-2022, 08:18 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics...pp-android

First an admission this weekend by Mahuta that the public don't understand or back the 3 waters proposal and now Ardern say ing they will  "contemplate" a reduction on excise tax on petrol.

Funny how they haven't leaked their own internal polling for a while now.
And yet when that polling was favorable it was often "leaked".  I would suggest that internal polling is either mirroring or worse than the last 2 public polls.
Is it the politicians being out of touch, or the public who really don't care about this stuff?

Seems to me a lot of us are happy something - anything! is being done about the often appalling management of the resource, but really don't have much of an opinion on the best ways...
from what ive seen recently they seem out of touch
there are people hurting out there, gas is eating them alive
$6 for a lettuce in the middle of the season.

seems the government doesnt even want to acknowledge it let alone deal with it.
i dont think they even know where to start. perhaps a couple of nats could help out with it?
too hard basket?
(14-03-2022, 10:25 AM)Magoo Wrote: from what ive seen recently they seem out of touch

i dont think they even know where to start. perhaps a couple of nats could help out with it?
too hard basket?
to play the devil's advocate here, is it really the government's fault ? is it really practical to demand that they 'fix' it? 

If their take on a litre of gas is 77 cents, what meaningful amount can they actually reduce it by to make the price 'acceptable'.  I'm pretty sure the price increases from the oil companies alone have exceeded this amount in the last year.  

Even if they remove the entire 77 cents it's still going to be ridiculously expensive - and then we will have no roading maintenance or expenditure.  Even if it is just temporary it will have a significant impact down the track for roading and maintenance

In my mind it's better to let supply and demand sort this, those that can't justify the cost will use less and travel less, those that can and will pay the price, will still be contributing to the roading fund...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
if we are going to sort these price issues out then we also need to sort out the 'selling stuff in NZ at the global market price, when it is produced in NZ' problem.

Some mechanism needs to be put in place for producers to require them to release a fixed percentage of their product onto the NZ market only, or have price caps across the board, or require cost plus pricing with caps...

But of course anything like that would probably breach all sorts of fair trade agreements...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I have a similar idea about retirement villages. For every extravagant over priced development we permit in our communities I think the government should require them to allocate a substantial percentage of full use units to pensioner rentals, even with strict preselection criteria.

It works in Prince Charlie's village. Why not here? It would house a lot of our homeless elderly overnight.
(14-03-2022, 10:37 AM)king1 Wrote:
(14-03-2022, 10:25 AM)Magoo Wrote: from what ive seen recently they seem out of touch

too hard basket?
to play the devil's advocate here, is it really the government's fault ? is it really practical to demand that they 'fix' it? 

If their take on a litre of gas is 77 cents, what meaningful amount can they actually reduce it by to make the price 'acceptable'.  I'm pretty sure the price increases from the oil companies alone have exceeded this amount in the last year.  

Even if they remove the entire 77 cents it's still going to be ridiculously expensive - and then we will have no roading maintenance or expenditure.  Even if it is just temporary it will have a significant impact down the track for roading and maintenance

In my mind it's better to let supply and demand sort this, those that can't justify the cost will use less and travel less, those that can and will pay the price, will still be contributing to the roading fund...
im talking cost of living, not just gas
whos talking about blame? thats not how i roll
i cant fix it, im flat out at the minute
but there are fiscal tools for when inflation occurs.
the government must have access to someone who knows surely?
one of their mates down at the reserve bank could catch them up
previous governments have done it.
(14-03-2022, 11:04 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I have a similar idea about retirement villages. For every extravagant over priced development we permit in our communities I think the government should require them to allocate a substantial percentage of full use units to pensioner rentals, even with strict preselection criteria.

It works in Prince Charlie's village. Why not here? It would house a lot of our homeless elderly overnight.
That wouldn't be a bad move. We could always get Charlie over, to show us how its done. Rolleyes

I don't think its always a bad thing when a govt changes to adapt to changing circumstances, & its very clear we have a housing problem which desperately needs sorting.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(14-03-2022, 02:06 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(14-03-2022, 11:04 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I have a similar idea about retirement villages. For every extravagant over priced development we permit in our communities I think the government should require them to allocate a substantial percentage of full use units to pensioner rentals, even with strict preselection criteria.

That wouldn't be a bad move. We could always get Charlie over, to show us how its done. Rolleyes

I don't think its always a bad thing when a govt changes to adapt to changing circumstances, & its very clear we have a housing problem which desperately needs sorting.
Gee in 4 years they have made it worse.  The housing crisis ended a long time ago.  Now it is the housing apocalypse
yes, the crisis has accelerated under labour.
which is a bit shoddy considering how they had their look of disapproval glasses on at national for the same thing, to a much lesser degree.
they are fiscally inept. lovely folk, salt of the earth the dears
but not a shred of financial nous between them.