Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we drop MIQ?
I believe in the science and the vaccine, correct that the vaccine might not stop you getting Omicron but from what is being said that you are far less likely to end up in hospital with it, sure you can pass it on and if you pass it on to someone that is unvaxxed thats there tough luck. I have the flu injection every year but at times I still catch it but its a lot milder than if I didnt have the injection, and so it is with Omicrom.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Looks like today the removal of MIQ is going to be announced. About time too. Stupid when you have 3 times the number of cases in the community than you do in MIQ.
(03-02-2022, 08:00 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Looks like today the removal of MIQ is going to be announced.  About time too.  Stupid when you have 3 times the number of cases in the community than you do in MIQ.
Where you reading that? I'm reading changes are afoot, which is to be expected given the evolving situation, and less reliance on MIQ for NZs returning home, but nothing about removing it completely...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I'd rather follow scientific advice, than the reckons of an ignorant online troll.
I do have other cameras!
(03-02-2022, 08:13 AM)king1 Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 08:00 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Looks like today the removal of MIQ is going to be announced.  About time too.  Stupid when you have 3 times the number of cases in the community than you do in MIQ.
Where you reading that? I'm reading changes are afoot, which is to be expected given the evolving situation, and less reliance on MIQ for NZs returning home, but nothing about removing it completely...
The changes have been leaked to stuff.  A slow rollout to remove requirements for MIQ 

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics...pp-android

(03-02-2022, 08:45 AM)Praktica Wrote: I'd rather follow scientific advice, than the reckons of an ignorant online troll.
That is not a very nice way to refer to the. PM

This is a good thing -except the part where it is not set in stone. My daughter is due travel to Perth in April to see her boyfriend who has been there since last year. She arranged the flights the last time they announced it was opening. Many others are in the same boat. How can anyone plan anything with that level of uncertainty?

Lay down a plan and stick with it. This virus isn't going away and we need to acknowledge that fact and start to live with that reality.
(03-02-2022, 09:51 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 08:13 AM)king1 Wrote: Where you reading that? I'm reading changes are afoot, which is to be expected given the evolving situation, and less reliance on MIQ for NZs returning home, but nothing about removing it completely...
The changes have been leaked to stuff.  A slow rollout to remove requirements for MIQ 

(03-02-2022, 08:45 AM)Praktica Wrote: I'd rather follow scientific advice, than the reckons of an ignorant online troll.

This is a good thing -except the part where it is not set in stone.  My daughter is due travel to Perth in April to see her boyfriend who has been there since last year.  She arranged the flights the last time they announced it was opening.  Many others are in the same boat.  How can anyone plan anything with that level of uncertainty?

Lay down a plan and stick with it.  This virus isn't going away and we need to acknowledge that fact and start to live with that reality.
I think your wishful thinking is getting the better of you @wainuiguy - nothing in that link to suggest MIQ is going away, it's a slow rollout for certain categories but that's about it... and subject to change as with everything. 

Is this becoming a bit of a habit I wonder? making somewhat grandiose but unsubstantiated claims which you end up having to backtrack on...  Perhaps you should read the articles a bit more carefully before posting...

(03-02-2022, 10:10 AM)king1 Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 09:51 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: The changes have been leaked to stuff.  A slow rollout to remove requirements for MIQ 

This is a good thing -except the part where it is not set in stone.  My daughter is due travel to Perth in April to see her boyfriend who has been there since last year.  She arranged the flights the last time they announced it was opening.  Many others are in the same boat.  How can anyone plan anything with that level of uncertainty?

Lay down a plan and stick with it.  This virus isn't going away and we need to acknowledge that fact and start to live with that reality.
I think your wishful thinking is getting the better of you @wainuiguy - nothing in that link to suggest MIQ is going away, it's a slow rollout for certain categories but that's about it... and subject to change as with everything. 

Is this becoming a bit of a habit I wonder? making somewhat grandiose but unsubstantiated claims which you end up having to backtrack on...  Perhaps you should read the articles a bit more carefully before posting...
Did you read the article?  No MIQ for NZers those coming from Australia from 27 Feb.  March 13 for rest of the world. April for international students and skilled migrants, July for visa waiver holders and then October for everyone else.
So which part of that didn't register as the end (albeit slowly) of MIQ?
(03-02-2022, 10:20 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 10:10 AM)king1 Wrote: I think your wishful thinking is getting the better of you @wainuiguy - nothing in that link to suggest MIQ is going away, it's a slow rollout for certain categories but that's about it... and subject to change as with everything. 

Did you read the article?  No MIQ for NZers those coming from Australia from 27 Feb.  March 13 for rest of the world. April for international students and skilled migrants, July for visa waiver holders and then October for everyone else.
Probably the bit that says  "MIQ remaining for the unvaccinated."

(03-02-2022, 09:51 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: How can anyone plan anything with that level of uncertainty?

Nothing is ever certain dude, especially when pandemics are involved.
From the link:

"Ardern said MIQ would remain for “high risk travellers such as those who are unvaccinated” – but it would slowly be transformed into a new National Quarantine Service.
“The anguish of MIQ has been real, and heartbreaking. But the choice to use it undeniably saved lives,” Ardern said."

I don't think that's too difficult to understand.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(03-02-2022, 10:32 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 09:51 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: How can anyone plan anything with that level of uncertainty?

Nothing is ever certain dude, especially when pandemics are involved.
[Removed: Rule 2h]

(03-02-2022, 10:49 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: From the link:

"Ardern said MIQ would remain for “high risk travellers such as those who are unvaccinated” – but it would slowly be transformed into a new National Quarantine Service.
“The anguish of MIQ has been real, and heartbreaking. But the choice to use it undeniably saved lives,” Ardern said."

I don't think that's too difficult to understand.
Of course ever breach occured via MIQ but let's not mention that.....

(03-02-2022, 10:27 AM)king1 Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 10:20 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Did you read the article?  No MIQ for NZers those coming from Australia from 27 Feb.  March 13 for rest of the world. April for international students and skilled migrants, July for visa waiver holders and then October for everyone else.
Probably the bit that says  "MIQ remaining for the unvaccinated."
Which in NZ is maybe 6% of the population.  The same people unlikely to be traveling in the first place due to restrictions.

It is however pretty much the end of MIQ.
(03-02-2022, 10:55 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

(03-02-2022, 10:27 AM)king1 Wrote: Probably the bit that says  "MIQ remaining for the unvaccinated."
Which in NZ is maybe 6% of the population.  The same people unlikely to be traveling in the first place due to restrictions.

lol in the same way  1 + 1 = 5, which seems to be your world...  anyway enjoy your stay...

(03-02-2022, 10:32 AM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Nothing is ever certain dude, especially when pandemics are involved.
[Removed: Rule 2h]

Where are you getting your information from?

Fact checking that perler, I find this...
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-1...YFZ7ADLBI/

There is only one WHO that I know, and they are a rock band Big Grin Cool Big Grin

The cheek and audacity of Hipkins.
"New Zealanders need to reconnect with one another. Families and friends need to reunite. Our businesses need skills to grow. Exporters need to travel to make new connections," Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said today.

Ummm shouldnt this have been done about a year ago ... Yes Minister  Tongue
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
They were The Who. Which isn't the World Health Organisation.

I know who is more fun to listen to though...
(03-02-2022, 11:12 AM)king1 Wrote:

lol in the same way  1 + 1 = 5, which seems to be your world...  anyway enjoy your stay...
And where are all the naysayers?  Those who said, when National suggested it, that ending MIQ was bad, thousands dead, hundreds of thousands infected.  But seems OK now right?
The end of MIQ is the best result for everyone.  Hopefully the end of people so afraid they might die they don't live.  As Wham said- Choose Life.

(03-02-2022, 11:39 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: There is only one WHO that I know, and they are a rock band Big Grin Cool Big Grin

The cheek and audacity of Hipkins.
"New Zealanders need to reconnect with one another. Families and friends need to reunite. Our businesses need skills to grow. Exporters need to travel to make new connections," Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins said today.

Ummm shouldnt this have been done about a year ago ... Yes Minister  Tongue
Did he actually say that with a straight face?
(03-02-2022, 11:48 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 11:12 AM)king1 Wrote: lol in the same way  1 + 1 = 5, which seems to be your world...  anyway enjoy your stay...
And where are all the naysayers?  Those who said, when National suggested it, that ending MIQ was bad, thousands dead, hundreds of thousands infected.  But seems OK now right?
The end of MIQ is the best result for everyone.  Hopefully the end of people so afraid they might die they don't live.  As Wham said- Choose Life.

That was then, this is now, circumstances tend to change quickly in the middle of a pandemic, hence, why the government has been making incremental changes - and this is no different. 

But it is probably not the best time for wholesale changes when we are supposedly expecting 1000's of cases a day at some stage in the not to distant future, I personally would like to see how that transpires before changing anything up more.

You still haven't answered my question about where you are getting your info from. Specifically the statement about WHO declaring the pandemic over?

I'd hate to think this is just about scoring points? You talk like you and whatever group you align with think you've scored a victory with this, like it's some kind of self serving vindication of being right all along?

If that's the case I don't think you could be further from the truth. The government has managed the outbreak admirably under the circumstance, not perfect but pretty good. They do have to take into account all New Zealanders, including those "people so afraid they might die they don't live" (which I imagine for some is actually their reality).

Any progression or changes to MIQ systems are just that, the government tweaking the system to suit the reality of now.

The reality is that ANY govt would have had difficulty in dealing with such a serious situation, & any reasonable govt would also adapt to changes as they happen. This is very much a 'learn as we go' situation.

But probably, its more convenient - & easier - to just continually complain about whatever is done by this govt during the pandemic.
Given that the Nats wanted the borders & businesses open far sooner, we can only speculate as to the effect that could have had but certainly there's a very high chance that many more would have been infected & possibly died.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
being a complainer isnt a national supporter trait
trust me, there are plenty of unaligned complainers out there.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye