Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Housing - kitsets could work
Came across this earlier.

https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2022/02/03/ki...6vNwbQ9kFg

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/kitset-house.html

There's quite a variety of them, no idea as to quality though but they might be worth looking into. If they could be a solution then that would make a huge difference to many homeless people here.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It's an interesting idea. I wonder what the equivalent cost would be of a caravan of the same dimensions and fittings, maybe like the caravans in holiday parks that are used for transient housing. Presumably the little prefab houses would need to be plumbed into the water and sewerage systems, also connected with electricity.

One of the obstacles would be locations - a ghetto of low cost housing has never been successful in the past, but seeding them into communities would take a massive PR drive, and most residential land has covenants preventing small houses from being built.

Another thing that has occurred to me is that the majority of our homeless are in the bigger cities and towns, where land is expensive.

I'm interested in other people's thoughts on this.
looking at alibaba at least, they all have 1,2,3 year warranties. Probably wouldn't be code compliant for that reason alone and might be a very good indication of quality.

Some of those look very nice though, but a 2 story house for $10000 USD? I'm suspicious
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Lots of US cities have cabin/tiny house villages for the homeless. Just basic pods with a community kitchen area, and an onsite manager.

We need to look at those examples and adapt some to keep our homeless safe.
(03-02-2022, 08:09 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Lots of US cities have cabin/tiny house villages for the homeless. Just basic pods with a community kitchen area, and an onsite manager.

That would make sense  - perhaps done through City missions, using their experienced staff, it could work.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(04-02-2022, 10:37 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(03-02-2022, 08:09 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Lots of US cities have cabin/tiny house villages for the homeless. Just basic pods with a community kitchen area, and an onsite manager.

That would make sense  - perhaps done through City missions, using their experienced staff, it could work.
we had something similar in CHCH for temporary housing after the earthquakes
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(04-02-2022, 10:43 AM)king1 Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 10:37 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: That would make sense  - perhaps done through City missions, using their experienced staff, it could work.
we had something similar in CHCH for temporary housing after the earthquakes
We did - not sure what happened to those.