Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Super age should go up
It also can simply be a quiet life. And that can be an excellent alternative to living an 'interesting' one.
I think every life has some boring bits in it, but most of the time its not at all boring. And as King1 says what's boring for one person isn't for another - people have all sorts of hobbies which others find deadly boring - bird watching, trainspotting.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(03-02-2022, 10:09 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think every life has some boring bits in it, but most of the time its not at all boring. And as King1 says what's boring for one person isn't for another - people have all sorts of hobbies which others find deadly boring - bird watching, trainspotting.
Now you mention it, must add birds to my signature as well, and cicadas, they can go...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Birds aren't boring! Cicadas are pretty cool too...
(02-02-2022, 05:01 PM)Zurdo Wrote: The lucky ones are the Boomers in Auckland who bought a house in the '80's or '90's, and then just lived a boring life. They can sell up and retire somewhere else with a good sum to live off. I know plenty who are doing that. For other Boomers like me, I can sell up and go....nowhere. I never wanted to live in Auckland....and it has been my undoing. Not moaning, but seeing people rewarded for doing nothing, and other people (not me) working hard going nowhere.

Oh dear, that's a massive chip on your shoulder to be carrying around! Sounds as though you have a fixed view of what certain groups are like and nothing is going to change that for you, is it? How about just seeing people as individuals who are all trying their best to succeed in life, or make the best of things, or just living happily in a family?
When I was much younger, I used to sometimes feel jealous if someone seemed to be doing better with not much effort on their part, but then I grew up and realised that everyone has their suffering and grief, losses and health issues. The people I was jealous of just didn't dwell on the bad times but got on with things.

Travel really does broaden the mind, as you see how other people live; some will be doing better than you and others will be having a much harder time.

But what really counts is how you can make your little part of the world better for someone, so that when you reach the end of life you can feel happy with what you have made of that life.
And money is not what counts, I can assure you - it's people, being part of a community and how you make them feel.
(03-02-2022, 03:12 PM)Outsider Wrote: Oh dear, that's a massive chip on your shoulder to be carrying around!

Irish on both sides of the family - so that's a chip on each shoulder. A burden I just have to carry. Vinegar, or tomato sauce ? I guess I can try both.
Traveling was one of the best things I ever did. Studying was another. Making stuff people paid real money for was another. And getting married. Being a mother.

Scary things, risky, but satisfying.
(03-02-2022, 05:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Traveling was one of the best things I ever did. Studying was another. Making stuff people paid real money for was another. And getting married. Being a mother.

Scary things, risky, but satisfying.
It's weird isn't it that its the scary stuff that turns out to be so interesting & worthwhile, despite all the struggle it involves. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It was walking out of jobs for me. I've done it so many times it's not really scary anymore...but what will turn up is the interesting bit.

One of my daughters recently walked out of her long time job - ''I've seen you do it so many times, I'm sure I'll be OK.''