Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pc Bullshit
So, I've seen displayed on TV and in written News articles the statement:

Pregnant people

WTF is going on in this STUPIDLY PC country of ours ?

Why can't a Lady/Female/Woman who is pregnant be called a Lady/Woman/Female ?

There are NO 'Pregnant people' ...............if you're not a Lady/Woman/Female then it's completely FUCKIN IMPOSSIBLE to become pregnant. 

Yeah I know it's not an earthchanging issue but FFS !
the sow sounds ready to farrow
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I've noticed that too. And yes, it's silly and annoying. But then I 'm also annoyed by anything xxx-person when xxx-man is a perfectly fine and non-sexist expression. The suffix "man" is usually derived from the Latin for hand and has nothing to do with gender. For words where it traces back to the Old English word for person there is also no gender connotation. So I tend to boil at most xxx-person or xxx-woman words.
Pc is for those who only partially comprehend the language.
i get called an englishman, the scots are cool with scotsman.
if i call someone from china a chinaman my wife gets all salty.
its confuddling
And when the male partner states that "WE" are pregnant , whats this "WE"shit? Why cant he say "SHE"is pregnant? 
Even we are expecting a baby sounds a hell of a lot better.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(02-02-2022, 08:41 AM)Magoo Wrote: i get called an englishman, the scots are cool with scotsman.
its confuddling
I'm with your wife on this one.   If I hear my husband saying "Chinaman" I get all salty too.  Let Wiki explain.

Chinaman (/ˈtʃaɪnə.mən/) is an ethnic slur, a pejorative term referring to a Chinese man or person, a Mainland Chinese national or, in some cases, a person native to geographical East Asia or of perceived East Asian race. While the term has no negative connotations in older dictionaries[1][2] and the usage of such compound terms as EnglishmanFrenchman and Irishman[3] are sometimes cited as unobjectionable parallels,[4] the term is noted as having pejorative overtones by modern dictionaries. Its derogatory connotations evolved from its use in pejorative contexts regarding Chinese people and other Asians[5] as well as its grammatical incorrectness which resembles stereotypical characterizations of Chinese accents in English-speaking associated with discrimination.[6][7][8] While usage of the term Chinaman is nowadays strongly discouraged by Asian American organizations,[9][10][11][12] it has also been used as a self-referential archetype by authors and artists of Asian descent.[13] It may have come from literal translation into English of the Chinese term for "Chinese man/person", 中國人 (Zhōngguó rén) = "China man/person".
When I hear of a chinaman I think of a googly.
A smile is more contagious than a virus. Smile
(02-02-2022, 09:03 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: And when the male partner states that "WE" are pregnant , whats this "WE"shit? Why cant he say "SHE"is pregnant? 
Even we are expecting a baby sounds a hell of a lot better.
I quite like the expression 'we're pregnant' because its so hilarious. Big Grin Big Grin

Unless HE is going to be spending hours in agony to give birth, then HE is NOT even slightly pregnant, & never will be.
Of course if in fact he genuinely IS going to endure labour & give birth, then I suspect he'd have quite a large number of people keen to witness such an event... Angel
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Wink 
Bah, women seem to think pregnancy is all about them...
(02-02-2022, 09:33 AM)Olive Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 08:41 AM)Magoo Wrote: i get called an englishman, the scots are cool with scotsman.
its confuddling
I'm with your wife on this one.   If I hear my husband saying "Chinaman" I get all salty too.  Let Wiki explain.

Chinaman (/ˈtʃaɪnə.mən/) is an ethnic slur, a pejorative term referring to a Chinese man or person, a Mainland Chinese national or, in some cases, a person native to geographical East Asia or of perceived East Asian race. While the term has no negative connotations in older dictionaries[1][2] and the usage of such compound terms as EnglishmanFrenchman and Irishman[3] are sometimes cited as unobjectionable parallels,[4] the term is noted as having pejorative overtones by modern dictionaries. Its derogatory connotations evolved from its use in pejorative contexts regarding Chinese people and other Asians[5] as well as its grammatical incorrectness which resembles stereotypical characterizations of Chinese accents in English-speaking associated with discrimination.[6][7][8] While usage of the term Chinaman is nowadays strongly discouraged by Asian American organizations,[9][10][11][12] it has also been used as a self-referential archetype by authors and artists of Asian descent.[13] It may have come from literal translation into English of the Chinese term for "Chinese man/person", 中國人 (Zhōngguó rén) = "China man/person".
so i can call myself a chinaman if im from china, but not someone who isnt chinese?
that doesnt seem right.
its only derogatory because we've made it so through negative usage, like the term 'liberal'
its not the word' chinaman's fault that it was used to portray a certain image.
i dont see the term englishman as derogatory. and im not even from england ffs
(01-02-2022, 10:20 AM)Me+Me Wrote: So, I've seen displayed on TV and in written News articles the statement:

Pregnant people

WTF is going on in this STUPIDLY PC country of ours ?

Why can't a Lady/Female/Woman who is pregnant be called a Lady/Woman/Female ?

There are NO 'Pregnant people' ...............if you're not a Lady/Woman/Female then it's completely FUCKIN IMPOSSIBLE to become pregnant. 

Yeah I know it's not an earthchanging issue but FFS !
Thats nuts, the only "people" that can ever possibly get pregnant are women!
[/quote]
so i can call myself a chinaman if im from china, but not someone who isnt chinese?
that doesnt seem right.
its only derogatory because we've made it so through negative usage, like the term 'liberal'
its not the word' chinaman's fault that it was used to portray a certain image.
i dont see the term englishman as derogatory. and im not even from england ffs
[/quote]

Perhaps you missed this bit: ". Its derogatory connotations evolved from its use in pejorative contexts regarding Chinese people and other Asians[5] as well as its grammatical incorrectness which resembles stereotypical characterizations of Chinese accents in English-speaking associated with discrimination."

The equivalent of Englishman is Chinese Man, not Chinaman. The nearest equivalent to Chinaman I can think of is Englander, but that doesn't of course have a derogatory aspect ( can you guess why?).

I imagine most languages including the various Chinese ones have plenty of derogatory ways of referring to foreigners.
no, thats what i meant when i said we made it so, the word itself carries no negativity, only what we have attached to it.
to change a words meaning or intention to sooth societal guilt is not...correct.
What's with a black person not being able to be called a black person ? Seems to me the people that have a problem with it think there's something wrong with being black.
My, that's a big paddle you have there....Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(21-02-2022, 10:22 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: My, that's a big paddle you have there....Smile
Not a problem when you have guns like Arnie  Rofl

Seriously white people don't have a problem being called white, PC gone mad. Nobody should need to feel ashamed of their colour. This PC crap alludes to being it so.

Does nobody have the character to answer this question  ?
Interesting side note on a similar vein, I see American real estate agent stars are now referring to the 'primary' bedroom. Instead of master...

So, I ask myself, is that really an improvenent? Why not just call it the biggest?

Silliness.
we arent supposed to call black people black?
when did that start?
Whats wrong with having a golliwog?
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular