Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So far, we seem to have
avoided the exponential phase of the rise of omicron cases. This could still be in our future, however, but for now what we are doing here appears to be working.
I do have other cameras!
which will inevitably become evidence for some that we have overreacted, been overly cautious, oppressed the population, with so called freedoms taken away unnecessarily. 

or, as you say, it appears to be working.  I for one would like to see what happens in the next month or so before too many wholesale changes...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I agree. Once again the public health advice the government is acting on has been excellent and, apart from the very small but very aggressive anti-vax minority, enough citizens are behaving carefully that we have a decent chance of getting through the Omicron wave without the death rates and illness that other countries are suffering.

We have almost a month before the borders open and although I am feeling jittery about that I am also reassured by our high vax rates and the promised booster promotion week.
The Red Queen talking backwards... that Seymour boy has an excellent imagination.

Just as well, seeing he has little else to offer it seems.
While it certainly hasn't been perfect & mistakes have been made, (& will probably continue to be made) its fair to say that it hasn't been so very bad when compared to other countries - so far, so good.
Lets hope it continues, even if that does annoy both National & Act & some of their supporters, bizarrely.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I'm pretty sure there are a HUGE number of cases going undetected due to people avoiding being tested. So many people will not be getting tested, even if they have cold symptoms, as being found to be positive will require them and their family to potentially isolate for 24+ days. I reckon most people will just quietly stay home for a few days and then not mention it to anyone.
I would hope most people aren't that stupid. I could not live with myself knowingly infecting people around me...

(03-02-2022, 02:59 PM)dken31 Wrote: I'm pretty sure there are a HUGE number of cases going undetected due to people avoiding being tested.  So many people will not be getting tested, even if they have cold symptoms, as being found to be positive will require them and their family to potentially isolate for 24+ days.  I reckon most people will just quietly stay home for a few days and then not mention it to anyone.
Any proof, other than your feelings? Do you know anyone doing this?
I do have other cameras!
(03-02-2022, 02:59 PM)dken31 Wrote: I'm pretty sure there are a HUGE number of cases going undetected due to people avoiding being tested.  So many people will not be getting tested, even if they have cold symptoms, as being found to be positive will require them and their family to potentially isolate for 24+ days.  I reckon most people will just quietly stay home for a few days and then not mention it to anyone.
I think its unlikely there are many people who are both so deeply stupid & so mindlessly selfish.

Most Kiwis have a good deal more sense & tend to care about others.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Perhaps with the wider use of less physically invasive tests, more will volunteer. Must admit the thought of the pcr probe makes me shudder.

Mind you, my lovely vet talking about the accidental brain damage from their excessively enthusiastic application might have something to do with it...
I would hope that anyone with symptoms would get tested, however those that get it with no symptoms at all could be the spreaders and not realise they even have it.
There are plenty of rumours around here about various families self isolating with symptoms. Neighbours see unusual deliveries and stay at homes and draw their own conclusions. I am convinced there is more out there than MoH is aware of, and after all, plenty of people are reluctant to get that lot of public servants involved in their lives when they are convinced they can handle it themselves.

Kiwis being diy experts...
The core of being an expert, is recognising when you're about to bite off too much.
I do have other cameras!
(04-02-2022, 09:21 AM)Magenta69 Wrote: I would hope that anyone with symptoms would get tested, however those that get it with no symptoms at all could be the spreaders and not realise they even have it.
Correct.  1 in 4 people with omicron variant will be asymptomatic so will never be tested.  2 in 4 will have mild symptoms similar to a head cold or even hayfever and will also be unlikely to be tested.

(04-02-2022, 09:56 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There are plenty of rumours around here about various families self isolating with symptoms. Neighbours see unusual deliveries and stay at homes and draw their own conclusions. I am convinced there is more out there than MoH is aware of, and after all, plenty of people are reluctant to get that lot of public servants involved in their lives when they are convinced they can handle it themselves.

Kiwis being diy experts...
When your emergency pack to fight omicron is panadol, strepsils and rest you can see why they may be hesitant to get themselves locked away for close to a month.
The other side of that coin is when the true numbers are not being reported because folks are gaming the system, the response to the outbreak by the medical establishment won't be appropriate for the scale of the outbreak. I'm not sure anyone is doing the country any favours by concealing their covid status under the circumstances...

(07-02-2022, 10:48 AM)king1 Wrote: The other side of that coin is when the true numbers are not being reported because folks are gaming the system, the response to the outbreak by the medical establishment won't be appropriate for the scale of the outbreak.  I'm not sure anyone is doing the country any favours by concealing their covid status under the circumstances...
I think if they are on a low income and Risk being forced into home detention for nearly a month for the sniffles many won't get tested.  

Here is an example.  My wife works for a school in the admin area.  Teachers who get the virus are on full paid leave with no impact to sick leave.  However those in the admin area will have to use sick leave and then potentially leave to cover themselves it they get sick.  A massive double standard implemented by the MOE.  So now you have the risk of someone who is sick  doesn't have enough sick leave or paid leave coming to work sick because they can't afford to take unpaid leave.
(07-02-2022, 11:00 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 10:48 AM)king1 Wrote: The other side of that coin is when the true numbers are not being reported because folks are gaming the system, the response to the outbreak by the medical establishment won't be appropriate for the scale of the outbreak.  I'm not sure anyone is doing the country any favours by concealing their covid status under the circumstances...
I think if they are on a low income and Risk being forced into home detention for nearly a month for the sniffles many won't get tested.  

Here is an example.  My wife works for a school in the admin area.  Teachers who get the virus are on full paid leave with no impact to sick leave.  However those in the admin area will have to use sick leave and then potentially leave to cover themselves it they get sick.  A massive double standard implemented by the MOE.  So now you have the risk of someone who is sick  doesn't have enough sick leave or paid leave coming to work sick because they can't afford to take unpaid leave.
That may be the case, but is it the right thing to do?  Bit weird that teachers/admin policy difference. Is that maybe because teachers are likely to be directly exposed, whereas admin are not since they are mainly a back office role

(07-02-2022, 11:12 AM)king1 Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 11:00 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I think if they are on a low income and Risk being forced into home detention for nearly a month for the sniffles many won't get tested.  

That may be the case, but is it the right thing to do?  Bit weird that teachers/admin policy difference. Is that maybe because teachers are likely to be directly exposed, whereas admin are not since they are mainly a back office role
Nope admin interact with both teaches and students in close proximity.

Ask yourself this- you feel slightly unwell but are afraid to get tested because it may mean you are other earners in your household can't go to work for almost a month.  Would you consider "the right thing to do"  or the ability to pay rent or put food on the table?   

Pretty sure I know what most would think.
(07-02-2022, 11:23 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 11:12 AM)king1 Wrote: That may be the case, but is it the right thing to do?  Bit weird that teachers/admin policy difference. Is that maybe because teachers are likely to be directly exposed, whereas admin are not since they are mainly a back office role
Nope admin interact with both teaches and students in close proximity.

Ask yourself this- you feel slightly unwell but are afraid to get tested because it may mean you are other earners in your household can't go to work for almost a month.  Would you consider "the right thing to do"  or the ability to pay rent or put food on the table?   

I know I don't disagree, I know there are subsidies available for those needing to isolate, but probably nowhere near a full wage...  But do we take the position of encouraging folks to do the right thing, or simply accepting it because it is. Is it similar to the issues with HIV positive people knowingly infecting others, some them were prosecuted for it...

(07-02-2022, 12:03 PM)king1 Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 11:23 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Nope admin interact with both teaches and students in close proximity.

I know I don't disagree, I know there are subsidies available for those needing to isolate, but probably nowhere near a full wage...  But do we take the position of encouraging folks to do the right thing, or simply accepting it because it is. Is it similar to the issues with HIV positive people knowingly infecting others, some them were prosecuted for it...
Quite different knowing you have HIV and infecting others.  In many cases people won't know they are infected.  I wouldn't blame someone struggling to pay their bill for not being tested because it could mean a significant drop in income