Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pensioners trapped overseas - border closures
Seen a couple of articles about this now.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3005112...huge-fines

Pensioners who travelled overseas, presumably knowing the government warnings about getting trapped overseas, now being stung with fines/repayment of pensions, as they have been out of the country too long...

I'm of two minds about this one...
On the one hand, they knew the risks and conditions of pension payments etc before leaving...
On the other, well covid has fucked up a lot of stuff for everyone... Is this "being kind"?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
and yet apparently the government has said they won't lose NZ Super entitlements.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1266322...titlements

Some WINZ people just delight in being mean.
The whole thing is disgraceful; those people wanted to come home but due to circumstances beyond their control were unable to do so. Time bureaucrats used some common sense & far more discretion.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I seem to recall the PM talking about this possibility months ago in a daily presser, and commenting that no one would suffer under those circumstances.

I expect this week we will see some action on these cases.
There is absolutely no reason at all why, during something like a pandemic and people having no option but to stay where they are, they couldn't put the 26 week rule on hold for the duration. In fact it would be far easier than stopping the payments and having to deal with the fall-out of all that.
I can't think of anyone who'd be in favour of this, except perhaps the most rabid unthinking Neo Liberal & its definitely not going to do this govt any good at all, unless they have the sense to immediately reverse this stupidity - & repay those people if necessary, which seems likely.
Without allowing them to incur further financial penalties.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(06-02-2022, 03:18 PM)Outsider Wrote: There is absolutely no reason at all why, during something like a pandemic and people having no option but to stay where they are, they couldn't put the 26 week rule on hold for the duration. In fact it would be far easier than stopping the payments and having to deal with the fall-out of all that.
I agree.   And surely it's not a huge sum of money overall: it's not as if many superannuitants will be in this position.
(06-02-2022, 05:37 PM)Olive Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 03:18 PM)Outsider Wrote: There is absolutely no reason at all why, during something like a pandemic and people having no option but to stay where they are, they couldn't put the 26 week rule on hold for the duration. In fact it would be far easier than stopping the payments and having to deal with the fall-out of all that.
I agree.   And surely it's not a huge sum of money overall: it's not as if many superannuitants will be in this position.
I think we're quite a sizable group too & one which is probably more likely to vote than most so I think we'll likely see a swift end to this bollocks - it never should have been allowed to happen.
Interesting comments here - and I agree with all.

Over on the other site those leaning to the left being not so kind.
Who brought in the repayment rule - wasn't it a national party government?
I do have other cameras!
(06-02-2022, 06:37 PM)Praktica Wrote: Who brought in the repayment rule - wasn't it a national party government?
And you were doing so well too.

This is about what is occurring now not what occured 14 years ago.
(06-02-2022, 07:04 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 06:37 PM)Praktica Wrote: Who brought in the repayment rule - wasn't it a national party government?
And you were doing so well too.

Why is it not relevant now? It doesn't matter that the decision was made 14 years ago, the consequences of it are being felt here and now.

(06-02-2022, 07:18 PM)king1 Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 07:04 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: And you were doing so well too.

Why is it not relevant now? It doesn't matter that the decision was made 14 years ago, the consequences of it are being felt here and now.
Because 14 years ago it's highly likely this type of event wasn't considered.  However let's play the blame game.  Why is THIS government not instructing  their departments on making allowances?  Why in October did they say they had sorted it when obviously they hadn't?  Why are they so incompetent or worse Why are they so unkind?
(06-02-2022, 07:30 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 07:18 PM)king1 Wrote: Why is it not relevant now? It doesn't matter that the decision was made 14 years ago, the consequences of it are being felt here and now.
Because 14 years ago it's highly likely this type of event wasn't considered.  However let's play the blame game.  Why is THIS government not instructing  their departments on making allowances?  Why in October did they say they had sorted it when obviously they hadn't?  Why are they so incompetent or worse Why are they so unkind?
lol, do you ever stop whining?

(06-02-2022, 07:37 PM)king1 Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 07:30 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Because 14 years ago it's highly likely this type of event wasn't considered.  However let's play the blame game.  Why is THIS government not instructing  their departments on making allowances?  Why in October did they say they had sorted it when obviously they hadn't?  Why are they so incompetent or worse Why are they so unkind?
lol, do you ever stop whining?
You miss spelled - it is winning. 

Maybe you should have a "last word" and slink off again?  [Removed" Rule 2A] But, but, but, National!
play nicely or you won't be allowed in the sand pit...

oh dear
someones fallen off their twig
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(07-02-2022, 09:03 AM)Magoo Wrote: oh dear
someones fallen off their twig

Just someone didn't like being called out.
But back to the topic before someone attempted a but, but, but, National! diversion.

Had these people travelled to Australia just for a holiday then sure perhaps they should have expected to take ownership of that that decision. However from the now multiple stories it is clear that many travelled for life events and have been trying to return home. The question is this - the government said in October that those trapped in Australia would not be financially disadvantaged it they can't get back within the 6 months. Why is it that it appears that hasn't filtered through to the departments that oversee these decisions?