Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At least 28 so far
Have been released from a hell on Earth thanks to our new assisted dying legislation. What a gift that must be. I cannot help thinking of the ones I knew endured the agony of a 'natural' death after long battles with terminal illness, and having sympathy for all those locked out of the law because their terminal illness involves dementia. Slowly though, we are maturing as a society when we accept that some mercies are a kindness beyond words.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/...of-new-law
indeed it is, not sure how they'll get around the issues of those with dementia though.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Strange as it seems, there are still those who are against this. Mostly those of a religious nature who appear to believe their god wants them to suffer agony rather than dying at the time appointed by their deity, & also think it should apply to everyone else too.
Humans are strange creatures.

Perhaps in time people might be able to make a living will which will allow their lives to be humanely ended, should they have the misfortune to get dementia aa they age.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
In view of the fact we can now diagnose dementia in its early stages, but not cure it, it seems silly not to offer the option.
(07-02-2022, 03:27 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: In view of the fact we can now diagnose dementia in its early stages, but not cure it, it seems silly not to offer the option.
Yes, it would make good sense - but any move towards that will no doubt cause another uproar from some who aren't keen on the idea. The fuss some of them kick up, anyone could be forgiven for believing it was being made compulsory! Angel Big Grin

That reminds me, sweetie darling was saying he'd read somewhere that they may have come up with some way of removing 'plaque' from older brains which may end dementia if it works as they hope it will - I must remember to ask him where he came across it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Yossarian faced a similar dilemma.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye