Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is NZ doing so much better than most?
Could the answer be in our average level of health being comparatively better than most Western (and other) countries? Case in point; obesity, food quality, air quality, population density, geographic isolation (limiting infection levels), active lifestyle.

The most at risk sectors of NZ's population are those that are already health compromised otherwise we seem to be in good shape regarding our resistance to infection or our ability to weather the storm in the case we are exposed to infection levels beyond our natural resistance to fend off the pathogen's effects.

This article presents the scenario of a modern society's compromised inherent health being the real problem we face and as a result pharmaceutical interventions become a necessary input, in the same way that modern farming practices are highly reliant on chemical inputs in order to address the industrialisation of their management methods. In both cases the real solution lies in correcting the ways we manage ourselves, whether in terms of soil/gut health, food inputs, toxin exposure, chemical/pharmaceutical inputs, and overall psychological wellbeing.

Our government, like many internationally, are being slated over their socially restrictive responses regarding COVID but in a world that is badly out of balance are they just taking the most straightforward and expedient approach in an attempt to 'normalise' national health rather than making real advances in bringing us back to a realistically healthy normal?
One of the things I was intent to avoid as I aged was my parents and grandparents reliance on drugs for all manner of complaints, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart, calcium etc etc. I was inclined to think their GPs were a little too free with their scripts...

Now I teeter on the brink of the big seven oh, I haven't changed my opinion.

We live longer than we are designed to do, courtesy of a bunch of chemicals. I don't know that it is such a good thing...
(08-02-2022, 04:24 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: One of the things I was intent to avoid as I aged was my parents and grandparents reliance on drugs for all manner of complaints, blood pressure, cholesterol, heart, calcium etc etc. I was inclined to think their GPs were a little too free with their scripts...

Now I teeter on the brink of the big seven oh, I haven't changed my opinion.

We live longer than we are designed to do, courtesy of a bunch of chemicals. I don't know that it is such a good thing...
Which then begs the question of how much is the 'need' for the ever increasingly 'shiny new drug' a result of the latest and greatest farming and food processing input along with the ever faster and more affluent lifestyle we are all made to consider as normal?
I think we have a weird approach to aging a death as a society, and that has a lot to do with our mad drive to 'cure' it...
Speaking as someone who has diabetes (I'm not obese) and high blood pressure, I'm happy that there are treatments I can take.
I do have other cameras!
I have had cancer and radiation treatment.
Without the medication I simply would not be here for my grandkids.
Likewise, I am thankful for it.
(08-02-2022, 05:50 PM)ObeWan Wrote: I have had cancer and radiation treatment.
And I had radiation and chemo for a throat cancer. Interesting insight into the health system it was too.
The cancer was likely due to either being a past-smoker or (more I suspect) lingering after effects of failed root canal activity, so pharmaceuticals addressed sins of the past in either case.
(08-02-2022, 05:55 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(08-02-2022, 05:50 PM)ObeWan Wrote: I have had cancer and radiation treatment.
And I had radiation and chemo for a throat cancer. Interesting insight into the health system it was too.
The cancer was likely due to either being a past-smoker or (more I suspect) lingering after effects of failed root canal activity, so pharmaceuticals addressed sins of the past in either case.
I hope you have fully recovered from those challenges.
Best wishes.
(08-02-2022, 07:05 PM)ObeWan Wrote:
(08-02-2022, 05:55 PM)harm_less Wrote: And I had radiation and chemo for a throat cancer. Interesting insight into the health system it was too.
I hope you have fully recovered from those challenges.
Best wishes.
Still under monitoring but all seems well. Compromised system post treatment makes vax side effects a bit challenging though. Booster last Friday so a rough weekend.