Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dark side of Gloriavale
Interesting article on Gloriavale for anyone interested.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/1278602...ident-says

“When you have… families torn apart in the name of God in a Christian community, then I believe something is very wrong. Is this the way Jesus would want it to be?

“There is a dark side hidden in this community, which needs to be brought to the light.”

He described Gloriavale as “a brutal control regime”, with members conditioned to follow the shepherds’ authority from a young age, by a combination of public humiliation, withholding food, and, in the past, physical punishment.

Disciple said leaving did not feel like an option."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
yes that is and always has been an insidious place. If they wish to continue in the future they need to cleanout the top echelon and start again with a somewhat more moderate philosophy
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(25-02-2022, 03:29 PM)king1 Wrote: yes that is and always has been an insidious place.  If they wish to continue in the future they need to cleanout the top echelon and start again with a somewhat more moderate philosophy
They had all the trades except a butcher, mums late partner was a retired butcher and was employed by them. They greased him up like a strippers pole, filled his car up with gas (Was coming from Blackball) as well as an hourly rate, gave food etc. Mum said Terry they are using you to train hopefulwhoevers and then you will be down the road. Mum was right he was quickly down the road. Guess you can call it business but no integrity with the facade of a connection they created with him.

They put on a yearly xmas pantomime for the Greymouth people, big feast and drinks. Picking to keep the locals sweet
so they are more inclined to turn a blind eye to what is actually
going on at Gloriavale, be accepted.

The clothes remind me of the get-up on Little House on the Prairie.

High time it was shutdown. Slave labour, sexual abuse etc etc.
(25-02-2022, 05:53 PM)mike Wrote:
(25-02-2022, 03:29 PM)king1 Wrote: yes that is and always has been an insidious place.  If they wish to continue in the future they need to cleanout the top echelon and start again with a somewhat more moderate philosophy
They had all the trades except a butcher, mums late partner was who was a retired  butcher was employed by them. They greased him up like a strippers pole, filled his car up with gas, 
(Was coming from Blackball) as well as an hourly rate, gave food etc. Mum said Terry they are using you to train hopefulwhoevers and then you will be down the road. Mum was right he was quickly down the road. Guess you can call it business but no integrity with the facade of a connection they created with him.

They put on a yearly xmas pantomime for the Greymouth people, big feast and drinks. Picking to keep the locals sweet

Some years ago, when that lot were still in nth Canterbury, friends & I were out that way when we somehow managed to get lost. We saw what looked like a school so went to ask directions. Very strange experience - the bloke  who was the teacher was dressed in old fashioned clothes couldn't get rid of us fast enough & there were dozens of kids plastered to the windows, gawping at the weird people outside. Extremely strange vibes from that chap, & the whole place, & that was back when they were still known as Cooperites.

A very dodgy outfit, that lot.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(25-02-2022, 06:05 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(25-02-2022, 05:53 PM)mike Wrote: They had all the trades except a butcher, mums late partner was who was a retired  butcher was employed by them. They greased him up like a strippers pole, filled his car up with gas, 
(Was coming from Blackball) as well as an hourly rate, gave food etc. Mum said Terry they are using you to train hopefulwhoevers and then you will be down the road. Mum was right he was quickly down the road. Guess you can call it business but no integrity with the facade of a connection they created with him.

Some years ago, when that lot were still in nth Canterbury, friends & I were out that way when we somehow managed to get lost. We saw what looked like a school so went to ask directions. Very strange experience - the bloke  who was the teacher was dressed in old fashioned clothes couldn't get rid of us fast enough & there were dozens of kids plastered to the windows, gawping at the weird people outside. Extremely strange vibes from that chap, & the whole place, & that was back when they were still known as Cooperites.

was that the place off the main road near Waipara? I remember when i was younger being told stories of a commune or cult or some such living there

(25-02-2022, 06:12 PM)king1 Wrote:
(25-02-2022, 06:05 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Some years ago, when that lot were still in nth Canterbury, friends & I were out that way when we somehow managed to get lost. We saw what looked like a school so went to ask directions. Very strange experience - the bloke  who was the teacher was dressed in old fashioned clothes couldn't get rid of us fast enough & there were dozens of kids plastered to the windows, gawping at the weird people outside. Extremely strange vibes from that chap, & the whole place, & that was back when they were still known as Cooperites.

was that the place off the main road near Waipara? I remember when i was younger being told stories of a commune or cult or some such living there
No it wasn't that far north, more Cust area i think.

You might be thinking of those dodgy people who were stocking up on weapons at one point - there was a huge bust eventually, think some might have done time as a result. It was concerning because some of them were in the air force if I remember rightly, they were in Waipara but can't recall the name of the group though.
(25-02-2022, 06:05 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(25-02-2022, 05:53 PM)mike Wrote: They had all the trades except a butcher, mums late partner was who was a retired  butcher was employed by them. They greased him up like a strippers pole, filled his car up with gas, 

Was told the Cooperites were run out of Cust by the good people of Rangoon.
Fled to the coast and rebranded. Don't know if still going on but they
were known to be collecting huge WINZ unemployment etc benefits.
They very wealthy "Cult' own helicopters etc.

Yeah spooky looking place in Cust.

Know a guy who was married to the late top brass's daughter and she has a lot
of emotional problems. Kids involved, messy situation.

Camp David is the one you are thinking of King. One of them was a mate's teacher
at Rangoon high. Rangoon high dropped the ball employing him.
not a cult, not a religious order
its a vehicle to enable warped minds to isolate and control others.
you'd think the god they worship would smite the shit out of them but apparently hes down with it.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Its amazing, that there are so many cults of that type - as a species we seem to be capable of getting ourselves to believe just about anything.
(25-02-2022, 03:15 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Interesting article on Gloriavale for anyone interested.

“When you have… families torn apart in the name of God in a Christian community, then I believe something is very wrong. Is this the way Jesus would want it to be?

“There is a dark side hidden in this community, which needs to be brought to the light.”

He described Gloriavale as “a brutal control regime”, with members conditioned to follow the shepherds’ authority from a young age, by a combination of public humiliation, withholding food, and, in the past, physical punishment.

Absolutley disgusting, I have to keep reminding myself of this and count my lucky stars that I was not born into this cult which is much worse than what I had to deal with.
I recently left the Jehovahs Witness cult, and thats bad enough, Ive lost all my friends and family and have virtually no-one.
So many similarities to gloriavale with the practice of shunning those that leave.

All these cults need to loose their charity status, they are not a charity, but a business and they harm lives, not help them.
But the public need to be aware of this and be educated to it or else nothing will be done, other countries are starting to wake up to it.
(03-03-2022, 10:25 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(25-02-2022, 03:15 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Interesting article on Gloriavale for anyone interested.

Absolutley disgusting, I have to keep reminding myself of this and count my lucky stars that I was not born into this cult.
I recently left the Jehovahs Witness cult, and thats bad enough, Ive lost all my friends and family and have virtually no-one.
So many similarities to gloriavale with the practice of shunning those that leave.

All these cults need to loose their charity status, they are not a charity, but a business and they harm lives, not help them.
But the public need to be aware of this and be educated to it or else nothing will be done, other countries are starting to wake up to it.
I think you're right & losing their charity status would be an excellent first step.
(03-03-2022, 10:25 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

Absolutley disgusting, I have to keep reminding myself of this and count my lucky stars that I was not born into this cult which is much worse than what I had to deal with.

Had a client in the same boat as you recently, his was the Exclusive Brethren that he left.  They all seem to have the same MO,  shunning those that leave etc scientology is another.

Best move you ever made if might be bold enough to say, there is no place in a free thinking world for that level of control of people's bodies and mind...

(03-03-2022, 11:03 AM)king1 Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:25 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Absolutley disgusting, I have to keep reminding myself of this and count my lucky stars that I was not born into this cult which is much worse than what I had to deal with.

Had a client in the same boat as you recently, his was the Exclusive Brethren that he left.  They all seem to have the same MO,  shunning those that leave etc scientology is another.

Best move you ever made if might be bold enough to say, there is no place in a free thinking world for that level of control of people's bodies and mind...
If it was up to me, all religions would be legally prevented from requiring their followers to wear any particular type of dress, headgear or hairstyle.
And if they were living in a communal situation such as Gloriavale, they'd be required to pay workers  at the very least an average wage, which the 'church' would have no say over. And also be legally prevented from stopping members associating with any family members who weren't involved in their church.
(03-03-2022, 11:03 AM)king1 Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 10:25 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Absolutley disgusting, I have to keep reminding myself of this and count my lucky stars that I was not born into this cult which is much worse than what I had to deal with.

The amount of information control we received was nuts, not allowed to research anything other than the garbage publications they forced us to study down our throat.
Yes, I know exclusive brethren people (ironically we had a bunch as neighbors) and they were even worse.

Only the ones who had the skills to think critically and question everything we were told had any chance of escaping.
Thankfully with the internet, many are slowly waking up and leaving. Their numbers are dropping.

Ah and BTW, if you want to have a good laugh, just google "bottlegate"

(03-03-2022, 01:47 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 11:03 AM)king1 Wrote: Had a client in the same boat as you recently, his was the Exclusive Brethren that he left.  They all seem to have the same MO,  shunning those that leave etc scientology is another.

If it was up to me, all religions would be legally prevented from requiring their followers to wear any particular type of dress, headgear or hairstyle.
And if they were living in a communal situation such as Gloriavale, they'd be required to pay workers  at the very least an average wage, which the 'church' would have no say over. And also be legally prevented from stopping members associating with any family members who weren't involved in their church.
We had similar restrictions on dress and grooming.
Guys were not allowed beards or long hair and woman would not be allowed to wear short skirts.
It was so great to have freedoms back after leaving that we did not even understand what it was like to be "normal"
I didnt even understand what freedom meant.
(03-03-2022, 02:05 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 01:47 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: If it was up to me, all religions would be legally prevented from requiring their followers to wear any particular type of dress, headgear or hairstyle.
We had similar restrictions on dress and grooming.
Guys were not allowed beards or long hair and woman would not be allowed to wear short skirts.
It was so great to have freedoms back after leaving that we did not even understand what it was like to be "normal"
Now we just need to work on the principle that freedom is not actually free Smile
There are costs to a society and its members that must be paid in return for the aforementioned freedoms

(03-03-2022, 03:17 PM)king1 Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 02:05 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: We had similar restrictions on dress and grooming.
Now we just need to work on the principle that freedom is not actually free Smile
There are costs to a society and its members that must be paid in return for the aforementioned freedoms
Freedom is a fight worth fighting for.
Ukraine is an inspiration to the whole world, I stand alongside them, its absolutely terrible watching everything unfold there.

I also forgot to say to google pillowgate, i put in bottlegate by mistake(which is still a good laugh) but pillowgate is the most absolutely ridiculous thing ive ever seen. You will LOL
that looks a bit sad