Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what point will you just stay home?
How high do daily numbers have to get before you will go into self-imposed lockdown? Interested to hear from people with no health issues.
We hardly go anywhere now. I have to look after my granddaughter 3 times a week and I'm going to the hairdressers Friday, but that's it. We get groceries delivered which is working well for us.
Never. I will never let this virus keep me from living my life as I want. Don't be someone so afraid to die they are too scared to live. If you think that way you would never leave your house ever because you would have more chance of dying in a car crash or just crossing the road than from Covid.
im not bovvered
business as usual here
we''ve followed the rules, been jabbed thrice.
wear the mask, stand off.
can still catch it
plan on usa in june
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
I have an intense dislike of being ill, let alone dead, so for us we will probably make more of an effort to stay in when we start getting a significant number of cases in canterbury, say 20 plus... at the moment we go out less than we would because it's just a pita dealing with covid protocols at some places
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
In these later years we find we go out less anyway and having relocated islands to retire we have few visitors anyway apart from family so there has not been much impact.
But I have stopped taking my grandson to Kindy.
Those places are rife with germs.
And then there are the young mums who just have to hang around and gasbag for an hour.
We go out if we need to for shopping, doctor etc.
We already lead a quiet life, and we just intensified that a bit - it'll stay like that until it's obvious there is minimal spread. I feel no need to pander to businessmen who want us to "change our attitude", or to play the he man hero type.
I do have other cameras!
For years I haven't done much shopping, trying not to over-consume, so the main difference here is that only one of us goes to the supermarket. I can't see that changing.

Overseas travel was abruptly put on hold at the beginning of the pandemic when we had to cancel a major UK trip, we hope to be able to reinstate it at some point but obviously can't predict when.

Nobody's lives are going to be the same again, no such thing as normality, we just have to continue to adapt to whatever develops.
I am a stay at home now. I go out once a week for a regular coffee date, a library visit, and to do the groceries. And I get to see the world. Yesterday, I sipped my capuccino and watched several huge transporters shift large Army vehicles and a substantial mobile crane up the main road from the Naval base, and wondered if they were headed to Wellington...

Having had my life transformed by a car crash, and being one of those for whom the virus would be a definite physical challenge I have decided to be proactive in avoidance for as long as I can. It doesn't mean I am not living my life as I choose, it means I am intelligent enough to respond to changes in circumstances.

See, I quite like being alive...

#blowingraspberries
(16-02-2022, 10:07 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Never.  I will never let this virus keep me from living my life as I want.  Don't be someone so afraid to die they are too scared to live.  If you think that way you would never leave your house ever because you would have more chance of dying in a car crash or just crossing the road than from Covid.
it's not the dying that bothers me, I just hate getting sick, be it from colds, flus, or covid...  Gave up on the stupid bravado expected in some circles years ago...

On a side note I take it that it is no longer cool/tough/heroic/legendary to turn up to work coughing and sneezing these days?

I note 'soldier on' is no longer the catch phrase on a certain anti sniffle product...
(17-02-2022, 10:47 AM)king1 Wrote: On a side note I take it that it is no longer cool/tough/heroic/legendary to turn up to work coughing and sneezing these days?
About as popular as lighting up a fag in the work cafeteria. Social conditioning is a powerful tool when it works successfully.
I generally don't go that far afield anyway, usually just the ghastly groceries, library & the odd foray further afield for any birthday gift shopping. The occasional outing to see a movie will probably not be likely for a while.

And unless we go into lockdown again, that probably won't change.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
never shopping hate it.
no crowds, no queues, no patience
not a big fan of humans, prefer dogs
i was reclusive before Covid
if i cannot be in my caravan, or on my boat, then home is the only other place i want to be.
I miss garden centres. They are my happy place. Especially if they have nice cafes...
We will all get Covid at some point, whether we're aware of it or not (statistically most of us wont realise we had it). So, may as well go on enjoying life to the fullest and get Covid over and done with during the summer rather than cower at home on isolation, which might delay things a bit, only to catch it in winter.
Unfortunately I don't have a choice - I run a small company with a couple of staff, and if I spend a week or two at home isolating then it all goes to crap.

I've been a really fierce advocate for how the govt is handling COVID (even though I disagree with pretty much everything else they do), but in this instance I'm on the other side of the fence. As a business owner, if I have to stay home for a week, I don't make any money. No wage subsidy, no employer to pay me sick leave, so my only option to stay afloat is to go to work.

I feel a lot of small businesses will be in the same boat. The govt have really dropped the ball.

It's gonna be a rollercoaster few months for bussiness owners.

To clarify, yes I'll stay at home if I'm sick because it's the right thing to do. I just wish the govt were offering the same support they were last year, because this is going to be tougher than a simple level 4 lockdown.
I don't get this 'live life to the fullest' thing. I do that whatever the circumstances, if I am restricted in some way I deal with it. Lessons leaned after years of disability, years of family raising and caring, years of budgeting to get what I need - there is always something challenging me, and if I let it stop me my life wouldn't have been nearly as interesting...

I suspect most of us are like that. It isn't a fear thing, it's called being sensible.
i probably shouldn't have lived this long after some of the shit ive done.
so every day is a bonus really