Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nick Bollinger has an article on RNZ
discussing the 1960s/70s counterculture, and its descendant, the 2022 convoy. As someone who was part of the 1970s experience, I found it informative.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/on-the-inside...y-or-farce
I do have other cameras!
Very interesting and accurate summary of current events.
Quote:another protester had written "Hang 'em all!" On the other side of Molesworth Street, a burly bearded male was taking his morning bath in the fountain in front of the Court of Appeal
best foot forward...

'farcical, a tragedy'

Quote:The protesters' response isn't altruism; it's toxic individualism. Their faith in a stream of misinformation and calls to overthrow a democratically elected government doesn't suggest utopian visions so much as a siege mentality.

sees it for what it is.
absolutely what i expected from those I rail and rant against gently encourage to get vaxxed online.
the reality is even uglier than i imagined, but that probly speaks more to my drug addled mind than my imagination.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Events like the protest in Wellington serve to push me further to the political right on a daily basis.
(16-02-2022, 08:57 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Events like the protest in Wellington serve to push me further to the political right on a daily basis.
The protest is the right - a very odd mixture of anarchist, libertarian, authoritarian and fundamentalist christian, with apolitical hippy new agers thrown in for good measure.
I do have other cameras!
(16-02-2022, 11:08 AM)Praktica Wrote:
(16-02-2022, 08:57 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Events like the protest in Wellington serve to push me further to the political right on a daily basis.
The protest is the right - a very odd mixture of anarchist, libertarian, authoritarian and fundamentalist christian, with apolitical hippy new agers thrown in for good measure.
It seems to me that the two linking threads are contrarianism and hatred of the PM, but I agree, there are a lot of different flavours of gullibility and ignorance in the mix.  All being manipulated and funded by far right organisations fronted by Counterspin.
He's right in that in those times, concern for others who were being hard done by was often at the heart of protests. And that in these very different times, much of this protest is at least partly due to the imposition of neo liberal policies on this country over the last few decades. That has caused a gap between rich & poor which is far wider than it previously was - apart from the 30s depression.

And then there's the widespread misinformation & various conspiracy theories added to that. There are various differing groups involved.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...ts-grounds
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)