Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q+A Interview with Police Commissioner
Did anyone else catch it?
What were your impressions of the Police Commissioner and the answers he provided?
I did, and I think his humanity is admirable.

But I doubt it will solve the problem.

I did yell 'water cannon' at the tv when he spoke about tear gas and batons... but really, I am very glad I am not in his shoes....
i dont know how it is in the public service, but in business sometimes difficult decisions have to be made.
Decisions that might self destruct a job.
but why would you sell out the public to appease a small minority. why have you compromised your institution and public safety for 'i think' and 'i feel'.
not your job buckwheat, enforce the laws as you are mandated by legislation and your oath to that institution.
Answer to that. if it all turned to custard he could at least retain the respect as man who stood behind his convictions and the job he has by oath promised to do. Not someone who took upon himself to escalate this into what it has become.

they should have let me interview him.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
For me there were a number of his answers that made me raise an eyebrow.
But the one telling question from Tame was:

Tame: “How do you think this will play out in the end?” (or similar).
Coster: “I don’t know”
Tame: “ You don’t know?”

This guy is truly naive.
In a world where targets and outcomes are vitally important that answer raised my eyebrows too.
this guy has proven that we dont really need a police force,
if this is the standard to which they are held.
I've read today that Coster has been let down by his threat assessment staff, who are part of the faction in NZ Police who resent him and his modern philosophy of policing by consent. That explains why he didn't give instructions to take down the occupation while it was still manageable - they assessed the threat as low.

The thing that baffles me is that there seems to have been no effort to establish a perimeter and prevent new occupiers from coming in.
(20-02-2022, 11:08 AM)Olive Wrote: I've read today that Coster has been let down by his threat assessment staff, who are part of the faction in NZ Police who resent him and his modern philosophy of policing by consent.  That explains why he didn't give instructions to take down the occupation while it was still manageable - they assessed the threat as low.

The thing that baffles me is that there seems to have been no effort to establish a perimeter and prevent new occupiers from coming in.
Indeed baffling.
The questioning from Tame went something along the lines of:
Tame: Do you have powers to establish roadblocks and search vehicles?
Coster: We are not doing that at the moment.
Tame: Can you establish a perimeter to prevent more vehicles joining?
Coster: That is not something we are considering.
Tame: Do the Police have power to stop anyone taking a tent onto Parliament grounds?
Coster: Yes, but we are not doing that.
Tame: So I could take a pergola or sleeping bag onto Parliament grounds and nobody would stop me?
Coster: Yes.
And after the interview ended Tame noted that Coster had clarified that Police had powers to set up roadblocks but it was not something currently being used.

And this is our top cop! God save us!

Commentators call him “Cuddles Coster”. Simon Bridges publicly accused him of being a “wokester”. And frontline officers have nicknamed him The Lantern (very bright but needs carrying).

So just who is the man in charge of New Zealand’s police? And why is he taking a softly, softly approach to the rabble of protesters camping on Parliament’s lawn and paralysing downtown Wellington?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...t-protests
I wonder if I took a sleeping bag onto the grounds of Government House the Police might object?
I tend to agree with him - nobody wants this to end violently, & if that means putting up with these alleged protesters then so be it.

If it was up to me, I might arrange food sup[lies for them, laced with sleeping pills & have them peacefully removed in the wee small hours
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(20-02-2022, 12:31 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I tend to agree with him - nobody wants this to end violently, & if that means putting up with these alleged protesters then so be it.

If it was up to me, I might arrange food sup[lies for them, laced with sleeping pills & have them peacefully removed in the wee small hours
Better still - use laxatives, and turn the whole thing into a shitshow.
I do have other cameras!
(20-02-2022, 01:23 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(20-02-2022, 12:31 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I tend to agree with him - nobody wants this to end violently, & if that means putting up with these alleged protesters then so be it.

Better still - use laxatives, and turn the whole thing into a shitshow.
You know, on balance - I definitely prefer your idea! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(20-02-2022, 08:23 AM)ObeWan Wrote: Did anyone else catch it?
What were your impressions of the Police Commissioner and the answers he provided?
Coster comes across as a soft cock of the highest degree.  Soft on the protesters, soft on gangs.  Road policing and drink driving enforcement is at all time lows.  Police morale is at all time lows.

My boss, ex Police, considers him to be one of the worst Commissioners to wear the uniform.
(02-03-2022, 11:00 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(20-02-2022, 08:23 AM)ObeWan Wrote: Did anyone else catch it?
Coster comes across as a soft cock of the highest degree.  Soft on the protesters, soft on gangs.  Road policing and drink driving enforcement is at all time lows.  Police morale is at all time lows.

My boss, ex Police, considers him to be one of the worst Commissioners to wear the uniform.
agreed
I thought the police did a good job at the beginning, but they got pretty violent at the end, I think it could have been handled a bit better than how they did.
(03-03-2022, 02:00 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I thought the police did a good job at the beginning, but they got pretty violent at the end, I think it could have been handled a bit better than how they did.
When they're being pelted with all manner of debris from cobble stones to tent poles and the wellbeing of the kids within the protestors camp is under thread due to arsonists I fully agree with the Police turning up their level of action in reply.
(03-03-2022, 02:04 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 02:00 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I thought the police did a good job at the beginning, but they got pretty violent at the end, I think it could have been handled a bit better than how they did.
When they're being pelted with all manner of debris from cobble stones to tent poles and the wellbeing of the kids within the protestors camp is under thread due to arsonists I fully agree with the Police turning up their level of action in reply.
I don't think they had much choice, once things started going pear shaped.
the police were very patient to begin. everyone was.
when it was realised that they werent legitimate protesters, just disaffected idiots with chips on shoulders that patience dried up.
it all could have been avoided if those criminals had gone home. the police did an excellent job.
they could have used a baton charge and tear gas but thats life i spose
I actually think they showed amazing restraint given the provocation.

FYI an elderly gent who was not part of the protest was hit in the head and injured by a paving stone thrown by one of your “peaceful, loving people”. He was assisted by a Police office who arranged paramedic attention.
Bit over the top by Police eh?